Flight from Heathrow - Advice

what about national express? flew from heathrow a number of times and always got the bus from manchester chorlton street. it was a long journey (but i enjoy those) and relatively hassle free. cant remember the cost as it was a few years ago.

mind you i flew once from manchester to heathrow and vowed never to do it again as i nearly missed my flight at heathrow to tobago because of delays at manchester, now i'd rather get a bus and arrive 10 hours early just in case!

edit: just checked their website, tickets with open ended returns cost about £50 from sheffield to heathrow, in october, regular services as well.

Never thought about that, there is actually a bus that leaves T5 at 23:10 and gets into Sheff at just before 4am for £40. That might be better (and cheaper) than driving down.

I drove from Sheffield recently from LHR after a trip to Morocco, cost me about £30 fuel and £50 to park right next to LHR. No problems with the drive. and much more flexible then tickets on the train for specific times and stuff incase of delays.

Besides, 3 hours flies by driving after being stuck on a plane.

True, but a Morning departure US time which means landing in England at 8 in the evening will cause severe jet lag. I can't sleep at the best of times, let alone a flight during the day. Not sure why BA don't fly through the night like everyone else...

Think a drive down, park car in carpark and then spend Sat night in a hotel is the best option to then drive up Sunday morning.

Thanks for everyones input!

We have always got the train down the night before and stayed in a cheap(ish) hotel. Far more relaxed, no worries and you can begin your hols a night early. If you can get advance train tickets - really good value too.

Tube is dead easy from St pancras and if you go down the night before, no worries about delays etc.

Also, driving back when you come home is torture, it'll be an overnight flight back from Boston and you will be completely knackered. the train is quicker and easier, but make sure you leave yourelf plenty of time from landing (expectedlanding time) to the train leaving time.

I took the late train down to London the night before (cost me £6), stayed at the St Pancras Hostel (clean, quiet... as comfortable as could be expected - £21) and got a pre booked train back to Sheffield when I was on the return leg (£12). Cheapest, quickest and most convenient of any other method.

That sounds like a plan to me!

Cant you just drive down? It only takes three hours from here. I do it twice a month cos I work at Heathrow. Purple parking is a good car park to use. I stayed at the Travelodge Hotel in Heston on the M4 the night before my latest holiday. If you book more than 3 weeks in advance you can get a room for about £20.

I've flown to Boston twice in the last few years, and I never went anywhere near Heathrow. The first flight was Manchester to JFK, and then from there you can fly up to Boston. The other was Manchester to Schiphol, and then to Boston. Neither was expensive, and both took place at reasonable times of the day. Are none of these options suitable?

Cant you just drive down? It only takes three hours from here. I do it twice a month cos I work at Heathrow. Purple parking is a good car park to use. I stayed at the Travelodge Hotel in Heston on the M4 the night before my latest holiday. If you book more than 3 weeks in advance you can get a room for about £20.

I use Purple Parking as it is quite cheap (£71) for 16 days and is close to the M25.I usually do long haul 16 hrs travelling and then drive back to Sheffield.

A couple of hours kip during the flight and I am OK.