You should be proud of sheffield

"white, middle class and english living in Sharrow"

As for "Research" on sharrow I go past there every morning and evening , the shops are run down or worse . Most of the Pubs that made sharrow and london road great are closed up or run down . As for the term GHETTO well when i walk past and through SHARROW , ethnics out number white english 5 to 1 if not more !

Oh and I forgot the lovely Mosque the jewel of sharrow and surrounding area , as far as ghettos go its a CORKER ...

As for what made sheffield GREAT and something to be PROUD of Ill state

The Worlds Biggest and Greatest Steel Industry

No Gun Crime

Cannot Ever Remember back in the day Old ppl getting Mugged

I can actually Remember a TIME without SMACK and the living dead walking the streets

SOme of the GREAT buildings that sheffield had NR to Jessops and other areas that have been knocked down for glass boxes

Some of the GREAT pubs that have been lost

The old Sheffield ACENT has almost disapeered

Yeah the Hole in the Road and the tunneling system around there

The reletive safety of the City as it was

How Once the City Centre was a VIbrant Busy Shopping Centre

These are just a handfull of things that Imo we have lost and what made the city great

sorry still fail to see HOW? anyone can be proud of sheffield these days?

Ok theres crime everywhere agreed but how many GUN Deaths and shootings have there been in sheffield this year alone?

Then theres the stabbings and muggings / robberys

THESE THINGS ARE NOT NORMAL AND DONT HAPPEN EVERYWHERE ! AND DIDNT USE TO HAPPEN IN SHEFFIELD

Then you look at the drugs scenes only the other day a teacher from sheffield was caught with half a million in cash and half a million IN smack ! someone else busted for 3 million pound smack deal .

again drugs are everywhere BUT to NOT to this extent .

The town centre at weekends is full of drunken teenages and and large amount of muppets THAT WE the tax payer have to PAY police to babysit instead of catching real criminals and PAY nurses to patch them up

The city centre most of the shops are closed down or boarded up

Areas like

BURNGREAVE

PITSMOOR

DARNELL

TINSLEY

SHARROW

ATTERCLIFFE

GRIMETHORPE

PAGE HALL

Are mostly immigrent areas and run down GHETTOs

Other areas like

MANOR

NORFOLK PARK

LOWEDGES

Are more than avergae overun with SMACKHEADS

Most of the houses in sheffield are over priced , the jobs underpaid and it appears to me that sheffield died a long time ago to what it was a

FINE ENGLISH CITY

When you look at places like Bakewell and the high peak , This is something to be proud of and a NICE area Not sheffield anymore

then why dont you bugger off then if its so bad,miserable sod.

"As for "Research" on sharrow I go past there every morning and evening , the shops are run down or worse . Most of the Pubs that made sharrow and london road great are closed up or run down . As for the term GHETTO well when i walk past and through SHARROW , ethnics out number white english 5 to 1 if not more !

Oh and I forgot the lovely Mosque the jewel of sharrow and surrounding area , as far as ghettos go its a CORKER ..."

For crying out loud, can't we get this ignorant racist booted off the board?!!!!

Suggesting an area is a 'ghetto' because there are more 'ethnics' than white people, suggesting a mosque makes an area a ghetto, am I the only one here that finds this sort of nonsense offensive?

Having lived in South Africa and New Zealand I don't find anything special about Sheffield.

I live on the northern outskirts of Sheffield and would dread having to live in most areas of the city - especially the ghettos :hihi:

allwaystired I'am NOT racist and AGAIN find the FACT you have insulted me now three times or more must be against SF rules itself !

And stating that if a "Area's" immigrents out number the native population then that IS a definition of GHETTO or

"A ghetto is described as a "portion of a city in which members of a minority group live; especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghetto

Iam stating that in areas like darnell , sharrow , pitsmoor for example then that is portion of a city in which members of a minority group live , Racism doesnt come into it please EDUCATE yourself on things BEFORE spouting trite

NODENS agreed there are MANY other places of special Interest or GREATNESS outside Sheffield its just a shame some ppl never leave the city to appreciate it

the horrors of essex! too true my friend..horrible place and that's countywide..luckily i live near the suffolk border and it is not too bad in suffolk, but there is something about essex...as soon as you cross the border into this god forsaken hole all morals are lost..

I beg to differ about Suffolk not being too bad. I've been exiled in rural Suffolk (not by choice) for 18 years. When I first moved here the street lights were turned off at midnight! If I want to do any decent shopping it's a 2 hour drive to Lakeside or Blue Water, not like a quick tram ride to Meadowhall. Heaven help if I get a serious illness as I'll be sent out of county for treatment. But worse still is that the chip shop shuts at 9pm!!!! So you Sheffielders count your lucky stars having so much on your doorstep - Meadowhall, chip shops that stay open passed 9pm, public transport, The Peak District and so much more including the friendliest people in the country. :)

To be honest, I consider anyone deriding an area on the grounds that it has a mosque in it to be a pretty racist thing to do, as would many other users of this forum.

I find your continued snide remarks about areas being bad because 'ethnics' live there to be racist.

I find the fact you would not be happy to live next door to a Somalian family to be racist.

You exhibit all the classic signs of the sort of person that starts a sentance with "I'm not a racist, but I just think...." before spouting some dubious 'england for the english' tosh.

More interestingly, I have no idea why on earth you would choose to live in a city you believe is so bad. You seem to offer no alternatives, nothing positive, and just seem on here to run down the areas that people live in, happily and peacefully, citing 'driving through' as knowledge that an area is awful.

Here are some more definitions of the phrase 'ghetto':

"A usually poor section of a city inhabited primarily by people of the same race, religion, or social background, often because of discrimination."

"A poor densely populated city district occupied by a minority ethnic group linked together by economic hardship and social restrictions"

"Any segregated mode of living or working that results from bias or stereotyping"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ghetto

Surely your views that immigrants and mosques make a 'ghetto' couldn't fit in with these descriptions could they?!?

"white, middle class and english living in Sharrow"

As for "Research" on sharrow I go past there every morning and evening , the shops are run down or worse . Most of the Pubs that made sharrow and london road great are closed up or run down . As for the term GHETTO well when i walk past and through SHARROW , ethnics out number white english 5 to 1 if not more !

Oh and I forgot the lovely Mosque the jewel of sharrow and surrounding area , as far as ghettos go its a CORKER ...

You have shown yourself up to be nothing but an ignorant bigot here I'm afraid. The multi-ethnicity is one of the things I love about Sharrow. There are some fantastic shops, restaurants etc... that have sprung up as a result of the various ethnic groups who live there, and believe it or not white english people are more than welcome in these places. If only you could see past your own pathetic prejudices then you might actually learn to appreciate them yourself.

For starters it's spelled accent, but pedantry aside I have to take issue with this. Firstly, the Sheffield accent hasn't disappeared at all. it is still noticeable all over the city. Secondly, even if it has disappeared, how is this a reason to criticise the city? The reason that the traditional Sheffield accent may have diluted a little over the years is due to the huge number of students who come here from all over the world to study and end up staying.

Did you know that of all the University cities in the UK, Sheffield has the highest percentage of students choosing to remain here after their studies have finished? As far as I am concerned, that is something of which the residents of Sheffield can be justifiably proud, not ashamed.

Keep it nice people, this is not the place for slanging matches.

I wouldn't say it was a 'slanging match', more a case of people taking someone up on some pretty dubious views.

"

The Worlds Biggest and Greatest Steel Industry

No Gun Crime

Cannot Ever Remember back in the day Old ppl getting Mugged

I can actually Remember a TIME without SMACK and the living dead walking the streets

SOme of the GREAT buildings that sheffield had NR to Jessops and other areas that have been knocked down for glass boxes

Some of the GREAT pubs that have been lost

Yeah the Hole in the Road and the tunneling system around there

The reletive safety of the City as it was

How Once the City Centre was a VIbrant Busy Shopping Centre

These are just a handfull of things that Imo we have lost and what made the city great

alot of these aspects are just a sign of the times though. these things are happening in every major town and city across the country? And, to be honest, Sheffield has it easier than say Manchester in terms of crime rate.

As for the buildings etc, how about the regeneration of the peace gardens? the winter gardens, the regen of leopold square, the botanical gardens? sure, some places are knocked down, but then other places are saved and utilised, such as the butcher works down near the hallam uni.

a list of what im proud of in Sheffield:

-a great music scene, where artists and venues work together to create a vibrant community. see the tramlines festival - a roaring success.

- sporting arenas and events such as the snooker, ice sheffield , ponds forge.

- the greenest city in europe. not bad for an old industrial city.

- the countryside on our doorstep.

- a respected art and design community - the designers republic, the warp label, tado, kid acne, pete mckee, - all internationally repsected.

- not to everyones taste, but meadowhall attracts people from all over the midlands and the north, which is great for our economy.

- the sheffield attitude of hard working modesty. no-one gets too big for their boots. (unlike manchester or london)

what sheffield once was??

i am new to the city and from pictures i have seen sheffield is a damn site better than the 60's grey concrete jungle that it was. sheffield is fresh, inviting and on the change. in a few more years with developements complete it will be fantastic. the problem with people on here and their oppinions of sheffield are based on the fact that none of them like change, i think that if they could restore it back to 1985 then they would, their seems to be a lack of understanding that things need to move on and change in order to improve.

There are jobs here, more so if you know the right people and places to look, myself and my partner both found work within a few months, IF developement carries on over the next few years i could see a fair few companies transfering here.

what ever you do, do not mention sevenstone, urbansplash, the bigwheel and redevelopement on here as then things really do get nasty!!

Well you've seen some pictures of Sheffield in the 1960's have you? You have me beat there then, as I can only claim to have been in those pictures. I suppose you're 'grey concrete jungle' anology refers to the Portland Stone used when rebuilding The Moor, and other bomb sites throughout the city centre, it looked quite smart at the time.

Sure, many architectural mistakes were made in the 60's, possibly because some of the people who should have been doing the job had been killed in action during the war. However Sheffield City Centre was vibrant, with lovely stores such as John Walsh, Cockaynes and Roberts Bros, all now replaced with either bordered up windows or cheap and cheerless outlets. High Street, Fargate and Pinstone Street oused pure class, they are now chav ridden.

If Sevenstone actually happens who is going to move in? I wager that the likes of Harvey Nicks wouldn't touch Sheffield City Centre with a barge pole. I'm afraid that it's a case of too little too late, Manchester and Leeds both beat us to the draw and have established themselves.

If SCC has a good point is that it has some wonderful old buildings, unfortunately many are now used to serve scroats with copious amounts of alcohol and cheap food. Credit where credit is due though, Leopold Square has been very well developed and St Paul's Parade and the Lyceum has never looked better during my lifetime. The new buildings on Norfolk Street look quite smart, not so sure about the nearby car parks though. I don't mind the sky skraper either, it is hardly going to transforn SCC into New York though.

As for the suburbs, I felt safe in all of them in the 1960's, not so now. But 'no go' areas are not unique to Sheffield. We never used to lock our doors in the 60's, our house resembles Fort Knox these days. As a South West Sheffielder I consider myself to be fortunate, but I still wouldn't relish the thought of walking through the likes of Bingham Park, Millhouses Park or Ecclesall Woods at night.