Remember commonside late 50s early 60s

Hairdressers run by Emerly.

lol. I remember bowling club at top of Hands Road. We used to sit on wall on Townend Street watching/commenting(!). Number of times we got chased off from there. Presume its still there?

His name was Terry Walton chocki. But as I said we moved in 1977 then he found another local. Which was the Fir Wood bottom of Carr Road. Not a million miles away.

lol. I remember bowling club at top of Hands Road. We used to sit on wall on Townend Street watching/commenting(!). Number of times we got chased off from there. Presume its still there?

Hi Chocki

I,ve had a few pints in there myself recently. Its like going back 40 years.

Hi Chocki

I,ve had a few pints in there myself recently. Its like going back 40 years.

Do you play bowls then or can you just go in for a pint?

Do you play bowls then or can you just go in for a pint?

No, I sometimes go in to see my dad, he likes to go in there. Not been in for a while though.

I was born at 17 Commonside in 1955, it was my fathers fruit and veg shop, later Gregorys and then Claytons. There was a barber/hairdresser, Mr Saddler who drowned at Skegness trying to rescue a child. Just below there was a great hardware shop run by Mrs Hall whose husband had died, he was a plumber.

I was born at 17 Commonside in 1955, it was my fathers fruit and veg shop, later Gregorys and then Claytons. There was a barber/hairdresser, Mr Saddler who drowned at Skegness trying to rescue a child. Just below there was a great hardware shop run by Mrs Hall whose husband had died, he was a plumber.

Where was 17 Commonside? Might know you! You were born year of my sister Linda

Does anyone remember the Watsons, father and son who lived up the yard behind the row of houses opposite the pub near the bottom of Commonsidein the late 50's early60's.

They were both motorbike mad and both rode racing bikes on the road. One was a 350cc Norton and the other was a 500 cc Norton International.

Later Terry bought a brand new Gold Star.

Someone must remember the bikes they made such a noise.

Happy days! PopT

I was born at 38 commonside and lived there until i was 20 so I remember it well there were three shops opposite the newsagents a grocery shop run by two elderly sisters and the betting shop. Further up Commonside there was two lock up shops one was Bilbys butchers shop and the next door was the fish shop.The last shop on that side was Becketts which was a grocer and butchers this shop had a large bay window.One other thing it was not a temperance bar it was Hartleys the Herbalist shop and they owned another on South Road Walkley this later became Fairys the plumbers.

17 is 0pp0site the toilets, I was only 3 when we sold up! We kept in touch with Mrs Hall for years though and 1987/89 I was one of two community constables in the area. We used to drink tea at Rosa Road garage! OK someone had to do it.

Wow, the memories this thread has brought back! I lived in Barber Place from 1945 to 1959. I remember Barry & Josie Seaby on the corner of Barber Place, with my relations the Allan family next door, then Len & Vera Weston (was it before or after them that the Dentons lived there?), the Richardsons and then, at No. 28 my grandparents. On the opposite side, were the Haighs on the corner (she was Vera and her brother Jimmy lived with them, walked with a bad limp and had a twisted hand),and along from them I can remember Trevor Gillott's family. At the bottom of Bower Road, immediately above the laundry, were the Grainger family, then my other grandparents, followed by the Marsdens and the Haywoods.

Opposite Scrivens corner shop (yes I remember Vicky Scriven too) was Burrows greengrocers. Some of you must have been at school with Lynne Burrows? Co-op next door, before it was modernised it had those fascinating gadgets for cash that whirled along ceiling wires to the cashier in the kiosk at the end of the shop. A couple of shops above that was a bakers which became Jewitts but it was Jennisons before that, my aunt was one of their delivery drivers. The butchers across from Barber Place, corner of Barber Crescent, wasn't that called Mabbotts? I went to Mr Mallinson the chiropodist next door to Mrs Binney's. And once went to Susan Bromley's birthday party at the Hadfield pub.

Instant nostalgia.

My cousin had the hairdressers in the corner around early 60s her name was

Emily , maiden name Bell . I had an aunt and uncle that lived on Springhouse

Rd , My uncle used to drink in the closed shop ( Joe Ross) I believe they

moved to Scotland. I used to go to St Josephs and walk home up Common-

side as I lived on School Rd.