Best driving route from Sheff to Western Highlands?

We're driving up from Sheffield to the Western Highlands via Loch Lomond in September and are rather bamboozled by how to get through the tangle of roads through Glasgow. The most feasible options seem to be:

M74 to Jtn 5, A725/6 via East Kilbride, M77, A726 via Paisley, M898

M74 to Jtn 8, A71 to Kilmarnock, M77, A726 via Paisley, M898

M74 to Jtn 4, M73, M8 to Jtn 19, A814

M74 to Jtn 4, M73, M8, M898

This will be by far the longest drive we've ever done so any advice by someone's who's done it would be greatly appreciated!

We're driving up from Sheffield to the Western Highlands via Loch Lomond in September and are rather bamboozled by how to get through the tangle of roads through Glasgow. The most feasible options seem to be:

M74 to Jtn 5, A725/6 via East Kilbride, M77, A726 via Paisley, M898

M74 to Jtn 8, A71 to Kilmarnock, M77, A726 via Paisley, M898

M74 to Jtn 4, M73, M8 to Jtn 19, A814

M74 to Jtn 4, M73, M8, M898

This will be by far the longest drive we've ever done so any advice by someone's who's done it would be greatly appreciated!

I'd try Google maps if it was me

Hi chrisoffbeat

This is a drive a friend of mine does nearly every week and as done so for the past 5years. he takes the M1 north A1 A66 at scotch corner M6 M74 M8 towards Glasgow centre keep on the M8 past Glasgow airport M898 over the Erskine Bridge A898 A82 along side Lomand remember to turn right at Tarbet keeping on the A82 at Crianlarich turn left still on the A82 at Tyndrum (green wellie shop) keep on the A82 right fork (left goes to Oban) this will take you to Glen Coe and Fort William. enjoy

hello,

we have just spent a very enjoyable week in fort william, and the sat nav took us M1, M62,M6,M74, M8, and A82. its a long drive, we set off at 4 am on a sunday, so naturally the roads were very quiet, but once you get past glasgow the last 100+ miles to fort william are absolutely breathtaking . the A82 past loch lomond, rannoch moor, then glencoe are amazing. just keep your eyes on the road, difficult as it may be. i hope you have as good a time as we did.

regards,

simon