Crookes characters

Any oldies remember Pop Meeson and his stinky cat shop ?

The fish shop man - I actually know a little more about the removal. A little kid ran out into the road from behind the "fish man" and was almost run over. A chap I know just popped in and told the fishmonger he though it was too close to the road. It then got blown out of all proportion with the fishmonger getting uppity and saying he had been told to shift it. He then got into some local press (may have been one of the political party's press release) and probably made it worse, as I think he may have then officially been told to remove it.

Just shifting it to the shop front side of the pavement would have probably solved it. Wonder where he is now though? Do you think he has pride of place in the old fishmongers front room? I hope so

there was also brammers corner crosslane and mulehouse and watkinsons opposite nirmals

Yes thats it! Watkinsons.....oo the memories are flooding back. :hihi: Thanks hockey mum. XX

anyone recall the man with an apron and boater hat, he stood outside the fish shop until some stupid idiot had it removed, said it was an obstruction . Arthur.

Mr Clayton I think :wink: or was he fishmonger?

wouldnt even no what a computer was

Maybe not ha ha....but what a character :hihi:, remember getting ice cream from Mr Slinns on Crosslane and walking over to Crosspool through cemetery and ya dad, complete with all year round tan, flat cap and string vest stood on front on Mulehouse Road. Always havin a chat with someone ha ha, I remember him being a very popular bloke, even though I cant have been more than 11yrs old and im 40 now!

A bloke called Bill Atkin was often drinking in the Sportsman, Crosspool on a Friday night. I think he was from Crookes. A lot of chaps from Crookes used to have an allotment on Marsh Lane, top of Stephen Hill Rd., Crosspool.

A bloke called Bill Atkin was often drinking in the Sportsman, Crosspool on a Friday night. I think he was from Crookes. A lot of chaps from Crookes used to have an allotment on Marsh Lane, top of Stephen Hill Rd., Crosspool.

My grandparents lived in Crookes, I know Grandad had an allotment, but I think it was up on BoleHills some way??? Did they have allotments up there, I was only little so I don't quite remember..... :cool:

There were some allotments round the Bole Hills. (and probably still are).

I remember it well

Cats everywhere. He would sell us One Woodbine

Anyone remember the DFuke of Darnall

He used to hang out at the Ark. Dressed up to the nines including Spats and a cane

If I have you right with " Harry the Gun"= Married to Sylvia @ appt St Thomas Road, He passed away about 6 weeks back- My 94 year old dad in next flat.

Nice chap took his last pint delivered by hand to him from " The Masons" pub.

See Sylvia most weeks.