A Fare Deal For Transport In Sheffield

Guest Guest

This forum has been set up for anyone to put there views of road, rail, bus or tram problems in Sheffield.

If you have got something on your chest this is the place to put your views.

Here are some examples, and don`t foget if you're on the bus, train, tram or car, tell the person next to you about this site + all your friends.

RAIL: Railtrack have spent 7 million on Sheffield Midland station can you tell the diffrence?.

Only one railway station in Sheffield, will Sheffield victoria and the rest of the Woodhead line ever re-open?.

TRAM: Where should the tram go next?

BUS: A Sheffield survey has voted first mainline`s 75/76 the worst bus route in Sheffield, bus drivers in Sheffield are the second lowest paid in the uk, what are your views?.

ROADS: labour are back in local control, road improvments have been cut by 75% what do you think about the state of local roads + how do we fund the repairs of them?.

If there is anybody from the transport sector please feel free to put your views forward + answer any questions.

Are you ready? Lets get Sheffield talking !!!!

Guest Guest

Got stuck on Penistone Road today?.

Well if British Rail hadn`t been so stupid in cuting rail services in the 1960-70`s you would not have been stuck in traffic.

Because on Januray 5th 1970 British Rail closed the Passenger service from Sheffield Victoria to Manchester Piccadilly.

If the line had been open now then you would have had station`s at Sheffield Victoria,Neepsend,Wadsley Bridge,Oughtbridge,Deepcar

Etc

South Yorkshire Passenger Tansport Excutive have done a survey on the line but you know how slow we are in this city in doing thing`s.

The transport system in Sheffield has always been diabolical. We need to get the roads freed up and the best way is to use railed public transport.

In West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester, the train is king. There are stations a couple of miles apart and frequent clean services to the cities. I don't know whether this is down to these areas having large towns and cities closer to each other than Sheffield does, but when was the last time a station was actually built?

The tram is great but there are not enough lines. Manchester has a similar and older tram system. It doesn't come into my area but there are extensions being built as I speak. I use the train to get into the city. The station is manned from 7am to midnight, has a well lit and free car park and a return ticket to Manchester costs a couple of pounds and the journey takes less than 15 minutes.

There are enough areas of derelict land to get the tram linked up from Crystal Peaks to Woodhouse, Handsworth and Darnall, which could then make a loop by linking to Attercliffe and Meadowhall. And I'm sure a thin line could be placed parallel to the River Sheaf to Dore and Totley. But, these areas already have a rail line, so why not just build more stations and put extra services on?

I have one other idea - cable cars? Why not site cable car stations at Manor Top and other hilly areas and have them crossing the city? They could build a big tower in the centre where they could all meet and interchange!

Originally posted by "Anonymous"

Got stuck on Penistone Road today?.

Well if British Rail hadn`t been so stupid in cuting rail services in the 1960-70`s you would not have been stuck in traffic.

Because on Januray 5th 1970 British Rail closed the Passenger service from Sheffield Victoria to Manchester Piccadilly.

If the line had been open now then you would have had station`s at Sheffield Victoria,Neepsend,Wadsley Bridge,Oughtbridge,Deepcar

Etc

South Yorkshire Passenger Tansport Excutive have done a survey on the line but you know how slow we are in this city in doing thing`s.

I'd love for those Stations to be re-opened.

Originally posted by "alchresearch"

The transport system in Sheffield has always been diabolical. We need to get the roads freed up and the best way is to use railed public transport.

In West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester, the train is king. There are stations a couple of miles apart and frequent clean services to the cities. I don't know whether this is down to these areas having large towns and cities closer to each other than Sheffield does, but when was the last time a station was actually built?

The tram is great but there are not enough lines. Manchester has a similar and older tram system. It doesn't come into my area but there are extensions being built as I speak. I use the train to get into the city. The station is manned from 7am to midnight, has a well lit and free car park and a return ticket to Manchester costs a couple of pounds and the journey takes less than 15 minutes.

There are enough areas of derelict land to get the tram linked up from Crystal Peaks to Woodhouse, Handsworth and Darnall, which could then make a loop by linking to Attercliffe and Meadowhall. And I'm sure a thin line could be placed parallel to the River Sheaf to Dore and Totley. But, these areas already have a rail line, so why not just build more stations and put extra services on?

I have one other idea - cable cars? Why not site cable car stations at Manor Top and other hilly areas and have them crossing the city? They could build a big tower in the centre where they could all meet and interchange!

I know Sheffield is probably not big enough to warrant one but I would love to see an underground system. I think they are brilliant.

There was talk of re-opening the old Millhouses station in between the Sainsbury's and Tesco Supermarkets a few years ago but nothing happened. The line would have run from Dore & Totley through to Meadowhall I believe. The Greater Manchester system is very good, Oldham to Manchester Victoria takes about 15 mins, with stops on the way and is just £1.50.

I dont know if I have just been lucky, but I have found the public transport in Sheffield to be far better than I expected. The busses are frequent, as are the trams. There isn't a continual traffic problem, just rush hours, it could be better but it could be a hell of a lot worse. I can get about quite easily and I have no car menaing its walking or public transport for me everytime.

Correct me if I am wrong! but wasn't it doctor Beeching who closed all the rail stations down? for economic reasons as British railways weren't paying.

For this he was amply rewarded, after putting the transport system in this country back one hundred years, where it has been ever since. :(:(:(

Originally posted by "Anonymous"

TRAM: Where should the tram go next?

Bramall Lane.

I agree with points about rail networks - we used to have a far larger rail and tram network in this city and it would be very useful to see it re-established. The busses in this city are better than in most cities, but they're still not great and, like the other modes of public transport, still some way behind the quality they used to be.

Next tram destination:

Millhouses, Ecclesall, Dore, Totley

Hi all.

this is,my first post on this forum, although i've been lurking for some while.

I am very interested in transport in Sheffield, coz all the measures our dear council has taken for years are exactly yhte opposite of what we need.

Roads:

Charter Row: We need the dual Carriage way reponed.

Eyre Street/Arundel gate: We need the dual Carriage Way reopened.

Millhouses/Abbeydale road (south): Dual carriage way redone.

Beauchief /Abbey Lange Jn: Dual Carriage way Junction reopned.

Basically Dual carriage ways reopned in City Centre.

reopen double circulation street that have been put to one way streets ? Is it me or is City centre a labyrinth ?

Open Pinstone Street, The Moor (all the way to London Road), etc...

Rail:

Brightside, Attercliffe Road, Victoria, Neepsend, Wadsley Bridge (and further, Heeley, Millhouses, Beauchief, Totley reopened.

for totley, have platforms 2, 3 & 4 reopened to get trains to London/Derby.

Tinsley stations reopned to scrap Supertram in that area, thus making the trip Meadowhall last less than 30 mins because it stops every 5 minutes...

The work done to the Midland Station is a disgrace, that new footbridge and staircases do not fit in that magnificient Victorian Building, i am outraged at the pety Engineering company that built it.

Build shops, storey carparks or underground on the terrain adjacent to Midland Station on Turner Street

Tram:

extensions to: Whirlow, not Totley (think railway instead), Fullwood, Bradway, Parson's Cross (and that area).

Busses:

Yorkshire Terrier: Take over First and repain the barby busses in something deacent.

First: go back to London where you belong.

Bring back a public funded bus company, like, errr South Yorkshire Transport for example, so we could get the cheapest bus services in the Uk as we had some 10-15-20 years ago, just before First came and made Sheffield the most city to travel in.

Not transfer the Interchange to the station, and LEAVE it where it is.

Scrap ALL bus services that would be replaced by double decker trams where suggested above.

Lower prices on bus fares so i don't have to take a loan to buy a Seven Day saver.

sheffield is our City, we own it.

We can make changes ourselves by boycotting unreliable companies and using alternate transport.

I personaly do not pay First any transport fee anymore, by using free bus passes i got from 'connection', First can no longer make profite out of me.

I really want to see things move.

so If you do too, as i'm sure you do, you know where to post.

Regards,

Greg