Growing up in Beighton

I lived on Norcroft Cottages in late 70's which was a pit house (77-79), worked @ Brookehouse.

At your age didn't think of you as a minor:D

:D:D:D

Very droll. Actually I live in Wales and get sick of hearing about 'that' Tom Jones, think he ought to retire gracefully, or not, but RETIRE anyway :gag:.

I've seen a photo belonging to my mum with 3 generations of Tom Jones' on it.

Grandfather tom and uncle Tom were Miners, tho uncle Tom left the mines in the early 80's I think it was. grandad Jones also sold fire wood and I think he had a horse and cart.

Tom Jones, her brother, and his wife lost their young daughter Diane and her baby many years ago not far from Beighton. They were killed by a hit and run driver, was in the papers up there for a long time, then their eldest son died of a heart attack while in his 20's (Alan Jones).

Tom, Frank and Pat have all passed on now.

Gearge (youngest brother) normally called 'Nobby' used to drive a bus in Sheffield years ago, but have no idea where he is now -think he lost his job after crashing a bus into a wall.

I remember being given a penny for sweets when I was a nipper and going to the local shop where it seemed to be worth a fortune and getting threpence (spelling) or a tanner, well, could almost buy the shop. Butter and cheese were cut to size and wrapped in paper, as were many things -Tesco know nothing about shopping!

Irons were plugged into the light fitting if I remember right and a telly, wow, not many about then. No hot water tap, you had to boil the gas geezer and sit around the coal fire in winter waiting for the tiny flame to catch the coal -got more heat out of a polo. 6 kids in a double bed -don't want to think about that one.

My mum married Denys Barfield from Woodhouse (I think) they had 6 kids, 5 girls and a boy, but he was born in Malaya.

I do have fond memories of Beighton and have quite a few family photos.

Be nice to find someone who remembers the family. Thanks.

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 01:15 ----------

And by the way, Yorkshire Tom Jones' are a lot better looking than that the other one!!!

---------- Post added 09-12-2012 at 23:50 ----------

:help:

Hi people,

I got a bit more info from my mum, her family (Jones) lived at 36 Manvers Road. She got married in 1947 I think.

Also when I was a young teenager I worked at Mulinaries Ice cream (probably spelt wrong). I worked on the vans and sometimes in the factory.

One day while we were cleaning the pipes out I saturated the woman I was working with. It was supposed to have been a joke, but got me a good telling off.

The woman went mad :rant: and said 'if I knew who your mother was...' actually she did. She was my aunt Ivy (Ivy Wood) from Beighton, still is I believe.

Of course I didn't tell her who I was.

Aunt Ivy, if you ever read this, I'm very sorry and apologise for my stupidity, I was young and foolish :loopy: (now I'm old and foolish ;)).

I hope someone will know my mums family or will know someone else who might.

Please get in touch, I can give you my email address, but not sure if I'm allowed to on here.

Many Thanks.

---------- Post added 10-12-2012 at 00:03 ----------

---------- Post added 10-12-2012 at 00:04 ----------

Bade worked at Beighton Colliery, later Brookhouse colliery for a total of 51 years. his son Jack worked there till it closed. Jack lived 3 doors down the street from my wife's family and her mother is Jack's sister Doreen. Mary, another sister, lived on Armstead road but now lives at Mosborough. Barbara, the youngest sister lives at Eckington. My wife's brother Peter is married to Ruth (nee Antcliffe) from Manvers road and she has a brother Mark.

If he worked at Brookhouse does he remember Stan, Pat and Frank Jones?

Frank and Pat were injured in the accident in 1958. Stan (John really) was late for work so escaped it.

Thanks.

---------- Post added 10-12-2012 at 00:08 ----------

Good Afternoon from Malaysia - very hot and very sunny, as it is 365 days a year.

I was born in Swallownest in 1940 and lived there until 1967 when I moved to Driffield, near Bridlington, then in Nov 2006 to Malaysia

I spent a lot of time in Beighton, and as a teenager, down there on my motor cycle trying hard to chat up the girls.

We used to locate ourselves on "Beighton Prom", at the time we thought we were irresitable - ha ha ha - I was fortunate in that I did not have a "spotty face"

The main thing I remember about Beighton was of couse Joe Molinaris Ice Cream, made at the factory behind the number of houses he owned. His son Tommy was a good friend of my fathers, Tommy usually did their ice cream round in Swallownest - I have eaten ice cream around the world, but nothing compares with "Joes Ices".

Old Joe never learned to drive, he always had a horse and a cart which he sat in to both drive and serve. At the end of each tour around Woodhouse he usually went into the George Hotel. At throwing out time (10-00pm then) he would stumble to the cart, hit the horse, and the horse would go back to Beighton without Joe holding the reins. Momma Molinari would hear the horse come back and old Joe was usually carried into the house, then the horse put into the stable

Anyone else remember Joe Molinaris Ice Cream and Ice Cream Factory ??

Hi I worked at Mulinaries in the mid 70's.

Soaked my Aunt Ivy (Wood) once while we were cleaning pipes, she wasn't pleased.

And she didn't know who I was so couldn't 'tell me mother'.

Sorry Ivy.

Edited by sammy2
mistakes with spelling

i lived on manvers road (32) next door to gig parkes from 1967-1983 it was brilliant growing up in beighton.My grandparents had sothall working mens club

Victormh (Gary in Malaya) My great aunt Ruth came from swallownest. She was married to Roman (Ron) Kohut and lived on King Street at the back of the school.

They had a son Steven who would have been born around the time you were 16 yrs old I think.

Both Ruth and husband used to work at a fire lighter factory and later Sutherlands Spread factory.

My mother is still in touch with Roman, think Ruth died a while ago.

My mother actually got married in 1955 NOT 1947, she was only 4 yrs old then!

She remembers Fanthropes (?) bakery in Beighton, but no others.

She didn't move until 1960 and had three kids by then.

She went to Grammer school, but the family were very poor and she remembers having no shoes to wear and getting called names by some because clothes were always hand me downs.

At grammer school she was friendly with a Scottish lass from the area, this family were fairly well off and my mum says she remembers not being able to understand her friends mum because of the thick accent, but very nice family. :)

---------- Post added 22-12-2012 at 18:56 ----------

Did any of you grow up in Beighton during the early 50's 60's? Did you go to Beighton infants / Juniors? Brookhouse Secondary modern? Do you remember any of the old shops in Beighton like the shoe repair shop on High street, or Mr Staniforth's clock and watch repairs next to Hall's television shop? What about the fairs that used to come to Beighton at the same time each year? The rides were 6d and one year me and my friend Marilyn Lancaser went potato picking to get some money for the fair - we finished up with 10/- Fantastic!! Loads of money to go on whatever we wanted!! Farrer's were one fairground family......they had been coming to Beighton for years. Did any of you go to the youth club in the church hall with Mr Durham? ........and the Saturday night dances which cost 6d or 1shilling if I remember rightly..in the church hall?

JuneLambert

My mum lived at Manvers road in Beighton (I was born in 1958) Starsmores shop was across the road from her parents house.The owners of the shop had twin girls, Jennifer and Jackie, my mum (Eileen Jones) used to take them to school.

She was friendly with the Chattaways at No 26 Manvers road, or Barbara anyway. They had a Jimmy, Susan and Ronnie.

---------- Post added 22-12-2012 at 19:19 ----------

I've just discovered this forum and mentioned a lot of its content to my dad. He is 88 years old now and he remembers loads of names and places. He grew up on Norcroft Cottages and was a miner at Brookhouse Colliery from the age of 14. His name is Joseph Crofts and his dad was a miner also named Joseph. I was born on Southall Green and my parents had a flat on Victoria Road. The flat was obtained with the help of Bade Turton who my dad says was a good man. Other people mentioned are Charlie Storey who lived next door to my uncle Juda and uncle Tom ( Fallows) at number 13 Norcroft Cottages. Juda had only one leg and Tom was blind from birth. I would be delighted if anybody remembers the family - although it is so long ago.

Hi Bocadillio,

Does your dad remember Pat, Frank and Stan Jones from Brookhouse?

Victormh (Gary in Malaya) My great aunt Ruth came from swallownest. She was married to Roman (Ron) Kohut and lived on King Street at the back of the school.

They had a son Steven who would have been born around the time you were 16 yrs old I think.

Both Ruth and husband used to work at a fire lighter factory and later Sutherlands Spread factory.

My mother is still in touch with Roman, think Ruth died a while ago.

My mother actually got married in 1955 NOT 1947, she was only 4 yrs old then!

She remembers Fanthropes (?) bakery in Beighton, but no others.

She didn't move until 1960 and had three kids by then.

She went to Grammer school, but the family were very poor and she remembers having no shoes to wear and getting called names by some because clothes were always hand me downs.

At grammer school she was friendly with a Scottish lass from the area, this family were fairly well off and my mum says she remembers not being able to understand her friends mum because of the thick accent, but very nice family. :)

---------- Post added 22-12-2012 at 18:56 ----------

My mum lived at Manvers road in Beighton (I was born in 1958) Starsmores shop was across the road from her parents house.The owners of the shop had twin girls, Jennifer and Jackie, my mum (Eileen Jones) used to take them to school.

She was friendly with the Chattaways at No 26 Manvers road, or Barbara anyway. They had a Jimmy, Susan and Ronnie.

---------- Post added 22-12-2012 at 19:19 ----------

Hi Bocadillio,

Does your dad remember Pat, Frank and Stan Jones from Brookhouse?

Hi, my name is Ian Williams, i grew up in Beighton and went to Beighton school. I started a Facebook group called "Old Beighton" it has 653 members and it is very active. Please join, you will find friends and lots of fond memories of growing up in Beighton.

Hi jl-heating

I think there were a few Cooper families in Beighton when I was growing up - not sure I remember any of them. Did your father in law work at Brookhouse?

JuneLambert

Hi June,

My uncles worked at Brookhouse, Frank, Pat and Stan (John) Jones. Frank and Pat were injured in the 'accident' in 1958.

Sadly both have died now.

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 14:32 ----------

We were asked to 'cheer' for them at a sort of battle of the bands in Sheffield at one of the cinemas. I'm sure we were still in school so it must have been the early 60's. When Dave & the Cruisers came on, my friend and I stood up and screamed as loud as we could, only to be told to 'sit down & shut up' by the kids in the row in front! Talk about embarrassing. Groupies...we were not. I don't think the band won, they were up against all Sheffield bands (and their fans) like the Gray Cats..Stray Cats?

My brother and I went to the City Hall to see Jerry Lee Lewis...mid 60's? Great show. I didn't go to another concert until The Rolling Stones-Steel Wheels Tour in 1989-now that was worth waiting for.

Dave Edmunds from Wales (fab) did a song with Stray Cats but they're an 80's band so it might have been Gray Cata :):);)

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 14:44 ----------

Anyone remember strarsmore shop on manvers road and the barbers opp the coop and there was turners shop as well on manvers road

Was Starsmore a drapers? I think the owners had 2 girls who my mother used to take to school. Was there a shop owned by Jones at the top of Manvers Road and a chippy or two and a Jones grocers next to Starsmore.

I think my mother lived across the road or next door to Starsmore.

Her family were Jones' as well. My mother is Eileen. She went to Catholic school when she was 10 yrs old and won a scholership to Notre Dam grammer school.

Would be so nice to find someone who remembers her family. :)

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 14:52 ----------

Bade worked at Beighton Colliery, later Brookhouse colliery for a total of 51 years. his son Jack worked there till it closed. Jack lived 3 doors down the street from my wife's family and her mother is Jack's sister Doreen. Mary, another sister, lived on Armstead road but now lives at Mosborough. Barbara, the youngest sister lives at Eckington. My wife's brother Peter is married to Ruth (nee Antcliffe) from Manvers road and she has a brother Mark.

Do you know anything about Frank, Pat and Stan (John) Jones who worked at Brookhouse, Frank and Pat were in the accident in '58.

They were the Jones family from Manvers Road and lived next to or opp Starsmore shop?

Thanks.

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 15:07 ----------

I've just discovered this forum and mentioned a lot of its content to my dad. He is 88 years old now and he remembers loads of names and places. He grew up on Norcroft Cottages and was a miner at Brookhouse Colliery from the age of 14. His name is Joseph Crofts and his dad was a miner also named Joseph. I was born on Southall Green and my parents had a flat on Victoria Road. The flat was obtained with the help of Bade Turton who my dad says was a good man. Other people mentioned are Charlie Storey who lived next door to my uncle Juda and uncle Tom ( Fallows) at number 13 Norcroft Cottages. Juda had only one leg and Tom was blind from birth. I would be delighted if anybody remembers the family - although it is so long ago.

Hi B,

Sorry if I've replied already, memory going fast (down the pan!)

My Uncles worked at Brookhouse and would be nearing your dads age if they were alive.

Their names were Frank, Pat and Stan (John) Jones; Frank and Pat were in the accident in 1958. My mum is their sister, they lived on Manvers Road, Beighton.

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 15:17 ----------

Hi to everyone loging onto this page. Wot wonderfull memories come flooding back when reading the pages of our wonderfull little vilage (as it was all thouse years ago,) I rember a good 90% of all i read, event, people, and places,I was so sadened when i read that my X girlefriend Pat Clarke had passed away wot a shock, dose any one rember going to Beighton swimming baths on them hot summer days (Sand Quary)and the old courting ground gun sites walking back down School Road, Ive been left Beighton close on 48years mum and dad still live there both in there 90is my sister Margaret and brother Stuwart also.

Hi Fredie,

Do you or your folks remember the Jones family who lived next to or opp Starsmore shop?

My grandad was Tom Jones and my mum is Eileen. She went to local schools until 10yrs and then went to Catholic school before winning a place at Notre Dam grammer school. I was born in '58 so my mother must have been married around 4-5 yrs then. She married Denys Barfield from Woodhouse.

She had several brothers and a sister Gwen.

Her brothers Frank and Pat were injured in Brookouse accident in '58. Stan (John) should have been in the cage as well but was late for work.

After the accident one of the brothers started his own fruit and veg van/lorry? and the other, who could hardly walk, worked at a brick factory where he died sat at his bench.

I'm trying so hard to find people she knew or who know her but sadly not much luck - think my mother is about 77 yr old now.

Thanks.

The pete cooper I know goes in the fox and his dad is called norman.

I also know the lancasters who hav been mentioned.

Pete is my uncle, therefore Norman my granddad:)

I lived in Beighton in in the 50's n 60's we had a shop on High st next to the Little bike repair man and the shoe shop went to Brookhouse and was taught at secondary by Mrs Hardy, Mr Darker was our form teacher after that. he taught gardening. after that Mr Betts.

Mr hardy was our head teacher.I have posted a picture of the football team on the Sheffield history site from 64 If I remember correctly

I lived on Norcroft Cottages in late 70's which was a pit house (77-79), worked @ Brookehouse.

Hi . You a baxter or a reynolds. I used to live i airy houses across road and take all the dogs from norcroft cottages down woods rabbitng. One was a lurcher . Mick leonard:huh:

Fascinated by some of the memories and anecdotes. My Sister and I grew up in Woodhouse Lane in the late 40s, 50s and 60s.

Many names familiar!

Hi Cricket13 why not try the Old Beighton site there are lots of photo's and memories Ijoined a couple of weeks ago and am now addicted:)

Yep already accessed the Old Beighton site and passed onto my Sister. Great memories - was life black & white in those days?