Growing up in Beighton

hi just wanted to say thank you to all who helped me find wendy ... its been great to find her we are in contact lots now :)

With out going down I am guessing that no11 is the first of the flat topped coucil houses.

All the brick houses facing what is now the green baize club and those up Armstead to the council houses were knocked down way back why? haven't a clue. But assume it was considered slum clearance like those along bottom and up archard lane and Allen rd

I lived at 31 Allen Road next door lived the Grice's, on the block live the Burkinshaws, Powiss, Brockelhurst's, Whites.

The first councild house was the Froggatts, then the Blacks, Pearsons.

The two little lads who drowned lived on our block I think they were called Gulliver.

Also a girl call Woodhead [Joanne I think] was killed by a lorry on the top road when walking home from school, she lived on or near Armstead.

Edited by alex3659

Good Afternoon from Malaysia - very hot and very sunny, as it is 365 days a year.

I was born in Swallownest in 1940 and lived there until 1967 when I moved to Driffield, near Bridlington, then in Nov 2006 to Malaysia

I spent a lot of time in Beighton, and as a teenager, down there on my motor cycle trying hard to chat up the girls.

We used to locate ourselves on "Beighton Prom", at the time we thought we were irresitable - ha ha ha - I was fortunate in that I did not have a "spotty face"

The main thing I remember about Beighton was of couse Joe Molinaris Ice Cream, made at the factory behind the number of houses he owned. His son Tommy was a good friend of my fathers, Tommy usually did their ice cream round in Swallownest - I have eaten ice cream around the world, but nothing compares with "Joes Ices".

Old Joe never learned to drive, he always had a horse and a cart which he sat in to both drive and serve. At the end of each tour around Woodhouse he usually went into the George Hotel. At throwing out time (10-00pm then) he would stumble to the cart, hit the horse, and the horse would go back to Beighton without Joe holding the reins. Momma Molinari would hear the horse come back and old Joe was usually carried into the house, then the horse put into the stable

Anyone else remember Joe Molinaris Ice Cream and Ice Cream Factory ??

Best Wishes to Beighton etc - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - near Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia

Good Afternoon from Malaysia - very hot and very sunny, as it is 365 days a year.

I was born in Swallownest in 1940 and lived there until 1967 when I moved to Driffield, near Bridlington, then in Nov 2006 to Malaysia

I spent a lot of time in Beighton, and as a teenager, down there on my motor cycle trying hard to chat up the girls.

We used to locate ourselves on "Beighton Prom", at the time we thought we were irresitable - ha ha ha - I was fortunate in that I did not have a "spotty face"

The main thing I remember about Beighton was of couse Joe Molinaris Ice Cream, made at the factory behind the number of houses he owned. His son Tommy was a good friend of my fathers, Tommy usually did their ice cream round in Swallownest - I have eaten ice cream around the world, but nothing compares with "Joes Ices".

Old Joe never learned to drive, he always had a horse and a cart which he sat in to both drive and serve. At the end of each tour around Woodhouse he usually went into the George Hotel. At throwing out time (10-00pm then) he would stumble to the cart, hit the horse, and the horse would go back to Beighton without Joe holding the reins. Momma Molinari would hear the horse come back and old Joe was usually carried into the house, then the horse put into the stable

Anyone else remember Joe Molinari's Ice Cream and Ice Cream Factory ??

Best Wishes to Beighton etc - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - near Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia

I was in Molinari's ice cream shop a couple of months ago.

spoke to Florence, who was serving in the shop,and she said her husband (who had his own name on his van as MacNeil) was OK considering his age.

the ice cream is still as good as ever.

I lived at 31 Allen Road next door lived the Grice's, on the block live the Burkinshaws, Powiss, Brockelhurst's, Whites.

The first councild house was the Froggatts, then the Blacks, Pearsons.

The two little lads who drowned lived on our block I think they were called Gulliver.

Also a girl call Woodhead [Joanne I think] was killed by a lorry on the top road when walking home from school, she lived on or near Armstead.

I was in JOanne's class ...it was very sad, she was killed by a cement truck I think on Eckington Road,

I was in JOanne's class ...it was very sad, she was killed by a cement truck I think on Eckington Road,

I was also at the same school Brookhouse.

I remember she had an older Brother and her Mother used to come to our house for her hair doing and was a really nice lady.

I was also at the same school Brookhouse.

I remember she had an older Brother and her Mother used to come to our house for her hair doing and was a really nice lady.

Me too, I can remember when Joanne was killed...

A friend just sent me this site. June, do you remember Jean Gill? She was my little sister and also a good friend of Marilyn Lancaster's. We grew up in Beighton, went to Brookhouse and were a members of the Youth Club. Mr Durham was wonderful, how he tolerated us gobby girls, I don't know. Jean and I were both on the Youth Club Netball Team.

Barry Durham and I were in the same class, he was a very nice person and a very good reader!! Hope he's doing well.

Umm, Molinaris(sp) Ice Cream...yummy!

Edited by GlassyGee

I grew up in Hackenthorpe and we used to walk to beighton to the youth club. A beighton boy gave me my first kiss, magic. Keith Havenhand I think his name was. Used to meet me with his friend in tow. I think I was about 14. I also walked to Woodhouse with my mum to have a tooth out and walked back afterwards. It must have been a few miles. Later a clinic opened in Hackenthorpe and the dentist there really was a butcher.

Hi June

Yes I grew up in beighton during that time and remeber Sandra Lancaster. Some others from that time Daivd Fox mentioned I think one of the other posts, Malcolm fox (no relation) Linda Bishop, June Sargent, Pauline Adamson, Billy Jepson, Leslie Simmonite, Eric Fox, Tony Johnson lived in the OLD george and Dragon, Dave Grundill,Cedric Oates and many others.

'ello Mature 5011, I went to school with most of those kids you named. Linda 'Bishop' is still my BF! Beighton was a great place to grow up. Did you attend a 50th reunion in Mosborough? I left the UK in 1967 but try to go 'home' when I can. My mother still lives on Victoria road.

Sadly, several old school mates have since passed away; Maureen Turton, Sandra Lancaster and my dear friend Pat Clarke.

I don't know hardly anyone anymore and Beighton has changed so much-not for better. Do you remember Mr. Kirk, the geography teacher at Beighton School? I don't know how he survived us! We took every opportunity to disrupt class; he was such a pushover! Now I wish I had paid more attention instead of plotting how to avoid actual school work:(

It's nice to see familiar names up here, although we're all in our sixties and becoming more invisible to the younger generation. Are we the 'crinklies' now?

'ello Mature 5011, I went to school with most of those kids you named. Linda 'Bishop' is still my BF! Beighton was a great place to grow up. Did you attend a 50th reunion in Mosborough? I left the UK in 1967 but try to go 'home' when I can. My mother still lives on Victoria road.

Sadly, several old school mates have since passed away; Maureen Turton, Sandra Lancaster and my dear friend Pat Clarke.

I don't know hardly anyone anymore and Beighton has changed so much-not for better. Do you remember Mr. Kirk, the geography teacher at Beighton School? I don't know how he survived us! We took every opportunity to disrupt class; he was such a pushover! Now I wish I had paid more attention instead of plotting how to avoid actual school work:(

It's nice to see familiar names up here, although we're all in our sixties and becoming more invisible to the younger generation. Are we the 'crinklies' now?

Did you know us? Marylin, Ann and Ian Williams of Woodhouse Lane? I remember Mr Kirk, Dogger Darker, Mr Hardy and his wife who used to teach English. Also remember the Shaws, Sandra and Susan, Frank Miles, The Hales family to name a few.

Ian

Edited by Pulseroom
Spelling

Photos of Beighton & Beighton Folk from the late 1940's.

Follow the link: Old Beighton Photos

Maybe some of you older ones might recognize someone. lol