Growing up in Beighton

My mum worked at that youth club in the sixties, she used to teach the girls hairdressing and make up etc.

hey up alick hows it goin.

Hi Alex, What is your mum's name? I wasn't going to the youth club then - in the later 60's but I will probably know of your mum.

June Lambert

I didn't live in Beighton, but around 1954 I was going-out with Margaret Wilson, a nurse in Sheffield. Her parents and sister lived in the very old cottages behind Beighton church. Margaret's father, Charles, was a miner at Beighton colliery. Later she went to Charing Cross Hospital, London. I last saw Margaret in London in 1956, but my RAF friend was nursed by her at RAF Uxbridge where she was a nursing-sister. I believe she married an Australian and went to live there

Edited by Janus1938
puctuation

June Lambert, Hi, I see from one of your posts that you lived on Victoria Road. Do you remember a family, name of Paynter?

Hi Texas,

The name Paynter rings a bell. We lived upstairs at I think no 49 - above Betty and Fred, The top one on the row of flats. My kids - Andrew and Rachel were young there - I think it would have been 1973 when we moved in and about 1976 when we moved to Cairns road next door to my mum. Did you live on Victoria road?

Best wishes

June Lambert

Hi Janus1938,

I was only 7 in 1954, so I don't know Margaret Wilson. I'm not sure which old cottages you refer to at the back of Beighton Church. Are they the ones which are on High Street? Memebers of my family worked at Beighton Pit though and would have known Margaret's father.

Kind regards

June Lambert

No June, didn't even live in Beighton but I know the family. Do you remember the Hudsons?

Hi June,

I am Carol Baxter formerly Carol Booth, of Robin Lane, I still live on Robin Lane. I remember going to school with you and married a beighton lad who used to live on norcroft cottages by the name of pud (John Baxter) Where do you live now? John says was your nickname (peanuts) he seems to remember your dad as being first aid man at brookhouse colliery and beighton coke ovens.

Love Carol.

My dad lived in Beighton Manvas??? Road Eric Staniland there was also Ron Alan Marie and June!!! And Gary but he didn't live with them

My dad lived in Beighton Manvas??? Road Eric Staniland there was also Ron Alan Marie and June!!! And Gary but he didn't live with them

Did Gary marry a girl called Ann?

hy carol, my sisters are just reading these posts and 2 of them remember you. apparently you husband pud was my brotherinlaws friend, his name was wagg, alias charley storey, and my other sister sheila nee beatson says she used to knock about with you, do u remember them? she says do u remember chase foster and joby fox?

Ron and Alan still live there.

Ron is a bus driver and Alan works at Menzies.