Nasty horrible scum bag of a man on the bus on way home

This issue of whether the driver should ge involved physically is almost too silly to contemplate. I have known an occasion where a mock fracas was started on a bus (in Lincoln, not Sheffield), the driver, a big lad, went to to sort it, and some kind soul stole all the money from the cab. The driver is accountable for all that money, and it was stopped out of his wages. (The Union didn't hve a leg to stand on.) Furthermore, having spent 10 years driving the things in both Lincoln and the Peak district, how much use would I, at 5 feet 6 inches, be, and would anybody thank me if I got beaten up, miles from the depot, and was unable to drive the vehicle? Would we just have to leave the passengers stranded, possibly a good few miles from home, maybe without another bus for a very long time, or even the next morning.? Would anybody pay me for the tome I was off work, or for any possible repercussions? Sadly, the answer is no - which fact I have from personal experience, following an accident when working. I was off for 12 weeks, with head injuries and other problems, during which I got just staturory sick pay, and nothing else. The decision "should I get involved or not?" is not a diffficult one!

In Leeds they have these bendy buses with conductors on board. Means they are dead on time and the conductor puts a stop to any nonsense like this. They should copy that in Sheffield. They copy everything else from Leeds so why not?:hihi:

In Leeds they have these bendy buses with conductors on board. Means they are dead on time and the conductor puts a stop to any nonsense like this. They should copy that in Sheffield. They copy everything else from Leeds so why not?:hihi:

First in South Yorkshire are unlikely to employ conductors or purchase bendy buses. The top and bottom of it is that they just don't care. Their aim is to get as many buses on the road each day, covering as many miles as possible, to fill their agreed targets and get all their incentives.

Yesterday I was on a bus that clearly had a fault. There was a really high pitched whistling noise coming from the engine. The driver tried persistently to contact the depot on the radio. But either the radio did not work or there was just no-body there to respond. If there had been an incident on the bus such as a fight or driver being threatened/attacked, what support did he have? absolutely none, thats what. The bus companies are just out to make money, they don't really care about anything else

It's supposed to be part of their job as bus driver to remove obstreperous elements, but it's never explained exactly how; and certainly, they don't get paid enough to justify risking life and limb to eject people like the OP describes.

A driver is not to evict a passengeer physically but can ask the person to leave the vehicle, if the person refuses to leave then the next port of call is to contact control via the radio to ask for assistance(police)...if the situation is volatile then the driver can contact radio control via CODE9 which takes preference over all other radio calls to the depot..under no circumstance should the driver leave his cab area and be put at risk of being assaulted

I still think that there has to be some responsibility here to be placed on the other passengers to alert the driver of any problems. Surely if a bloke is threatening people at the bus stop, one of them could have told the driver, who then could have a word with the guy as he gets on. Or refuse to let him on. The driver has no other way of knowing that there is a problem and once on the bus ,the driver can't hear everything thats going on, after all he is behind a screen.

You know the old saying, "you get what you pay for".

When you say "You get what you pay for" are you refering to the driver and his £8.75 an hour, and the old adage of "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys"?

I was referring to the free advice that was being referred to in the quote contained in my post.