Sheffield-London Annual Rail Pass - How much??

Hi

Was just wondering if anyone had any idea how much a Sheffield to London annual rail pass costs. All the information on the web asks you go to the ticket office which is not convenient right now. All I can imagine is that it's going to be extortionate!!!:suspect:

Thanks!

I can't give you an exact number, but it's going to be huge.

A daily ticket is £160, a good advance combination is still about £100.

So assuming that you save loads (say 50%), it's still going to be £13k

Thanks for that - better do my maths carefully then before coming to any decisions!!!

If it's a job you're considering then think about the amount of time you'll spend on the train as well.

I do the journey once a week at the moment, and I can tell you that I need to leave the house at 0500 in order to get to the office for 0830, and when I leave at 1800 on Thu I don't get home until gone 2200 (although that's via the pub for an hour in London).

I couldn't possibly commute every day, it would kill me, although I'm not in a position where I can work outside the office, maybe that's an option for you.

Annual season tickets from Sheffield to London (via Chesterfield) cost £12,280. However you would be better getting it from Doncaster to London, which IS valid via Sheffield (have checked this on the official routeing guide) as it costs £9,244

It might be worth printing out page 248 of this document (which gives all the permitted routes between Donny and London) and page 85 of this one (Map SY) in case they try and fob you off.

Edited by CheekyBandit

Donc - Lond, via Shef.

It might be valid. But if you are at some point travelling in the wrong direction, Shef -> Donc maybe, I suspect that it wouldn't be valid.

Ah, light bulb moment. You mean pay for that ticket, then just get on the Shef - > St Pancs train, as you would if you'd just come from Donc on the commuter. How strange.

Are the annual tickets not tied to a specific operator or route? Surely the Donc ticket is dependant on you taking the East Coast Mainline to KingsX.

if you can get to chesterfield, you save a grand and costs £11,296.00

I would also strongly advise against making a daily commute to London. Like Cyclone said it will mentally kill you after a couple of months, it will completely eradicate your social life and if you have a family you will never see them.

Also, if you are paying £12K for a rail ticket, could you not find a place to rent in or near to London for less than £1K a month? Obviously up here you could no problem, but I'm not sure about London.

move to london! simples!

Donc - Lond, via Shef.

It might be valid. But if you are at some point travelling in the wrong direction, Shef -> Donc maybe, I suspect that it wouldn't be valid.

Ah, light bulb moment. You mean pay for that ticket, then just get on the Shef - > St Pancs train, as you would if you'd just come from Donc on the commuter. How strange.

Are the annual tickets not tied to a specific operator or route? Surely the Donc ticket is dependant on you taking the East Coast Mainline to KingsX.

Cyclone - I think you might be thrown by one of these fares anomalies - there are quite a lot of them about and it is perfectly legal to take advantage of them. I have checked the conditions on ATOC's website (the links on my previous post go to the appropriate documents). The ticket is from Doncaster to London Group, which is to any London terminal you like provided you don't get there by tube or the Thameslink route south of St Pancras. The Doncaster to London season ticket is also valid on the East Coast loops via Lincoln/Sleaford, Hertford North, Ely/Cambridge - the latter makes it valid into Liverpool Street, Moorgate, Stratford (via West Ham) - the last one probably with future Eurostar connections and the Olympics in mind.

Edited by CheekyBandit

I would also strongly advise against making a daily commute to London. Like Cyclone said it will mentally kill you after a couple of months, it will completely eradicate your social life and if you have a family you will never see them.

If it's a job where you can do part of the work on a laptop while on the train, it's bearable - two hours' e-paperwork on the way, four-six hours actually in the London office, two hours' more e-paperwork on the way back.

If you need to be in London for a full eight hour shift each day, then I would agree with you entirely.

An annual season ticket from Sheffield to London St Pancras is £12280 in Standard class or £20872 in First Class.

With a London Travelcard zones 1-6 (for the tubes, DLR, local trains and buses) added on it makes it £12800 Standard class or £21760 First class.