Cheap fares to London

Hiya, i'd like to take my daughter to London and stay overnight. I've found plenty of B&Bs but can't find any reasonable train fares. I've clicked on the ones where it says 'London for £10' but it doesn't actually cost that. Cheapest i've seen was £80. Can anyone post me any useful info please? I would be so grateful, cheers :help:

it depends how fare in advance you book, and also, 2 singles areusually cheaper than a return i fyou can look that way, otherwise have you considered a coach/national express?

it depends how fare in advance you book, and also, 2 singles areusually cheaper than a return i fyou can look that way, otherwise have you considered a coach/national express?

Thanks Queenie, i'm on google now. I'll check national express. I've voted for Yasmin, she's gorgeous!!:)

i went yesterday, i booked on megabus.com, but actually went visa train (megatrain) and it was 25 pounds return from st pancras!

What dates did you want?

To be honest, I don't mind. Just fancied a nice look around London, show my daughter the sights, do a bit of shopping etc. It's the school hols so anytime would be ok. Thought the beginning of August though but want to make sure Covent Garden market is open cos I used to go there in my younger days :hihi: Seen a few B&Bs there too that are reasonable. The cheapest train fares i've seen are £80/£125 and out of the question. Looks like it might be coach.

i went yesterday, i booked on megabus.com, but actually went visa train (megatrain) and it was 25 pounds return from st pancras!

Cheers rach, i'll look on there now! x

If you got to sypte you can get bus tickets to london for a £1.

East Midlands Trains operate the service - http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk direct from Sheffield to London St Pancras International, and advance fares start from £10 single online (£20 in First Class).

Remember the best fares are on the less popular trains (for example middle of the day and late evening) and go to those that book early as only a certain number of seats are available at each price. If you cannot see any reasonably priced tickets, try searching for earlier or later times.

If still nothing it may be worth checking tickets have gone on sale for the date you want (sometimes at weekends when track repairs are done the timetable is late being confirmed). This can be checked on the 'My Journey' part of the website.

Also, East Midlands Trains are owned by Stagecoach, who constantly do special offers on their trains and coaches via http://www.megabus.com, with seats starting from £1 plus 50p booking fee.

If you are struggling with the website, the ticket office at the railway station can also sell the advance tickets (although you lose the £1 online discount) and will also advise you whether it would be worth investing in a family discount card. This can also be done over the phone on 08457 125678 with the Stagecoach rail call centre which is based in Southampton.

Hey,

It all depends on when you want to go.

You mention it's school holidays - my advice would be to go in the week if you can, as you can a) get cheaper fares and b) won't be disrupted as much / if at all by engineering work.

Some trains might not be available for reserving seats (known as booking horizons) during weekend dates as awaiting confirmation of engineering work from Network Rail.

I've had a quick peruse for you and say if you went down on Tuesday 11 August from Sheffield to St Pancras and came back on Thursday 13th, you could be there and back, both of you for £30 - this is on the train.

Obviously much quicker than the bus.

If you play around with the days and times, then you might get it slightly cheaper. N.B. I think there is a booking fee of about £5 on this, but still, two of you to London and back for less that £40!

the train times are:

SHF-STP leaving Shf at 13:27 and arriving at STP at 15:34

STP-SHF leaving STP at 09:55 and arriving at SHF at 12:04

I know that doesn't leave you a massive amount of time in London, but in the world of trains, time = £ (the earlier you go, the dearer it is generally).

These prices are from http://www.megatrain.co.uk

If you want any advice about services or booking horizons, just PM me.