Men Wearing just Swimming Trunks or tight shorts in hot summer weather

Men certainly wore shorts in the garden, and for working outside. But I certainly don't remember seeing any neighbours wearing just their underpants, so the practice must be area related. In the 70s/80s we were living in a fairly pleasant suburb of Donny - lots of young families, and open plan gardens, so I'm sure I'd have noticed! ;)

"I can remember grown men in my neighbourhood wearing only swimming trunks (even Speedo type) or even just underpants to do chores outside the house and in the garden.[/b] Is it just my imagination?

I can remember people dressed like this to weed the garden, mow the lawn, wash the car, even paint the guttering"

If the men were as slim and nice bodied as back then, i'd say bring this back!!

lol !!

Told you it was true, thanks for backing me up.

I just wish I could get away with it as a tall and not too flabby 40 year old without passing teenage girls giggling at me !

Those 70s and 80s guys got it all !

I can remember (blue collar area of North Sheffield):

2 men gardening in brief pants - including weeding front gardens !

Another washing his car

One up a ladder painting guttering

4 guys in a park at Rawmarsh playing football with one in Speedos and trainers only

If you went out to "mining" areas around Barnsley and north of Rotherham shirtless men became more and more commonplace. Maybe a legacy of pit baths !!

My theory was :

1. In 70s and 80s guys were just less fashion concious;

2. Speedos didn't have a "gay" stigma;

3. People didn't holiday abroad so much and with our limited summer weather guys just didn't specifically buy shorts. They would often have trunks to go to the pool - so on the rare occasion that it got hot, they just wore there swimmers as shorts instead.

Thanks in particular to INCOMER for confirming most of what I could remember !

I'm sure he can confirm that in those days no-one minded seeing a bloke in Speedos around his home or garden.

People probably walked around the streets of seaside resorts like this too, but my memories of that are hazy (if there at all).

I can remember going on a coach day trip from Torquay to Dartmoor and Exmoor in 1985 and there was a man on there with his 2 kids and their grandparents - he wore grey Farah-type trousers but had no shirt on all day - didn't even seem to be carrying one with him at all.

My parents found it "inappropriate"

Well, I cant say that I recall the seventies or even most of the eighties, but whenever it is hot, I always sit around the garden in a pair of Speedo's during the day and then later when it goes a bit cool, I wear a pair of shorts

We are overlooked on all side but the way I see it is, when on holiday you dont think twice about being by the pool in Speedo's so why not wear them in your garden

Infact, it was only the other week when we had the very hot weather, we had a picnic in the peace gardens and I wore a pair to go in the fountain :thumbsup:

Good on you, Jongo

Trunks are back in style at the Peace Gardens in 2009 !

i cut my front lawn in a thong....

me too :o...................

i cut my front lawn in a thong....

me too :o...................

I alwayth thing when cutting the grath :D

I have just noticed that Alton Towers have decided to ban speedos.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090810/tuk-skimpy-speedos-ban-at-alton-towers-6323e80.html

It is interesting how fashions can change. Two or three decades ago speedos were the thing to wear for swimming, and as you can see from earlier in this thread you could wear them in the front garden or street and talk to neighbours or delivery people in them without anyone minding. At that time if you wore shorts for swimming you would be thought of as a wimp or sissy. On London Transport and in magazines there were adverts showing men in scanty nylon briefs, which did not seem to upset anyone. Nowadays, due to changing fashions, it appears that they are no longer considered acceptable and likely to exert some evil influence, for whatever reasons. Judging from the link above, they are OK in Spain but not Staffordshire.

Same here.

Theres nothing worse than seeing the last chicken in the shop, shrink wrapped:gag:

:hihi::hihi:

:gag: