Tram vs Bus which is better?

Woodhouse/Woodhouse Mill does have a train station though! Not sure how often the trains come or if they are on time???

More or less hourly and on time around 90% of the time. It's a shame however that Sheffield's transport authority isn't a bit more proactive in expanding the tram network to utilise local rail lines, like the Manchester Metro. A supertram extension using existing rail tracks as far as Worksop would help the Supertram to be part of an integrated local transport network, rather than it being somewhat cut off as it is at present.

More or less hourly and on time around 90% of the time. It's a shame however that Sheffield's transport authority isn't a bit more proactive in expanding the tram network to utilise local rail lines, like the Manchester Metro. A supertram extension using existing rail tracks as far as Worksop would help the Supertram to be part of an integrated local transport network, rather than it being somewhat cut off as it is at present.

the tracks the trams run on are a different size in sheffield i heard, so not possible to run them on the same tracks as a train.

if the tram ran to more places then it would be the tram, queiter and smoother

Yes! I think plans were around for the existing tram line to join the rail line at Nunnery Square, go through Darnall, the new Waverley development, and then onwards to Hellaby and Maltby. Of course, the rail line carries on further to Woodhouse, Kiveton Park and Worksop, which are all potentially worth joining up with trams (along with stops inbetween). If the Penistone Line tram-train is a success, then maybe something like this could happen one day. It would allow for cheaper expansion of the tram system, even turning it into a real tram-light rail hybrid. I don't really know enough about transport planning to know its likelihood and surrounding problems, but it's so sad we don't get the investment to do something like this.

the tracks the trams run on are a different size in sheffield i heard, so not possible to run them on the same tracks as a train.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure they're the same gauge, but they could be different in other ways.

Yes! I think plans were around for the existing tram line to join the rail line at Nunnery Square, go through Darnall, the new Waverley development, and then onwards to Hellaby and Maltby. Of course, the rail line carries on further to Woodhouse, Kiveton Park and Worksop, which are all potentially worth joining up with trams (along with stops inbetween). If the Penistone Line tram-train is a success, then maybe something like this could happen one day. It would allow for cheaper expansion of the tram system, even turning it into a real tram-light rail hybrid. I don't really know enough about transport planning to know its likelihood and surrounding problems, but it's so sad we don't get the investment to do something like this.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure they're the same gauge, but they could be different in other ways.

someone on here said they are a different guage, where as the trams in manchester are the same guage as the rail tracks. not sure if its the design of our trams that dont allow it to run on same guage as the trains or what, hopefully the same guy will come and clear it up.

the top part you put sounds promising though

my monies on the tram in a crash

And mine is on the bus if somebody else has a crash. They are notoriously bad when it coms to diversions.

It's a shame however that Sheffield's transport authority isn't a bit more proactive in expanding the tram network to utilise local rail lines,

Ah good old SYPTE:loopy:, if anyone has the faintest idea why common sence does not come from them but every other PTE seems to be extending there networks and building new train stations please send your answer on a post card :help:

Still prefer the bus me, the trams are too packed at rush hour and are nowhere near big enough for the rush hour these day's in Sheffield.

The tube has about 15 carriages we have 2 lol.

Hmmm... tough one. Personally, I prefer the tram - much more comfortable, more regular (and tend to run on time).

However, as many people have already stated, it just depends where you live. When I lived at Lowedges, it was bus or bust! You would have to go to Herdings Park to get a tram. I now live at Norfolk Park, and have access to bus or tram. I'd rather use the tram, and very often do, but (a year ago anyway), the bus was only £1.10 to town, and the tram £1.40 - so I opted for the bus going to work.

Both use the same track gauge 1435mm/4ft 8.5 in but have different loading gauges which includes the height of platforms.

Edited by CheekyBandit

I'd rather walk that catch a bus, I've never liked them. But I don't mind trams and trains. Obviously the tram routes are more limited than buses, but assuming you're going somewhere that has both, I'd say tram every time. If I couldn't get the tram, I'd walk, drive or take a taxi as I can't stand buses.

Tram. Buses make me queasy :gag: and I have no idea where i am whereas the tram has an indicator and voice announcements for when i'm nodding off :)

I have to say the bus.

The bus can go practically anywhere it wants, it comes in single small, single and double decker sizes, it covers much more ground and can be diverted within an instant over the radio. Promotional fares on certain routes make it a cheaper option to the tram. The bus can stop practically anywhere too.

Buses are quieter too in my opinion. I cannot hear the bus at the end of my road (100m/yards ish) away. Whereas I can hear the tram pass over the tracks from around a mile away at night.

The tram does have a conductor though, that is something I would like to see on the buses.

That said, I prefer to walk or cycle.