Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

Would the guitarist with Ray Ellinton be Judd Proctor?

Another band which knocked me over was Buddy Rich,a wonderful drummer but they tell me horrible man,his version of "Love For Sale"is among my all time top ten.

I remember one time we saw him he would lay down the tempo, and play his drums for about sixteen bars, the call out the chart number giving the sidemen about thirty seconds to find it, the count them in 2-3-4,and every number the band had to furiously delve through the book to find their respective parts.

One of the Ted Heath "Greats" was lead trumpeter Bobby Pratt, remember those beautiful duets with Bert Ezzard? Bobby's widow Tina now lives in Australia with her family,and was over in the UK a few weeks ago, and stayed with my Wife and I for a few days, and we had a wonderful time talking about Bobby's life,and tragic death, and she presented us with a wonderful collection of photographs of Bobby from his early days as a professional musician in his teens, with the Squadronaires,Ken Mackintosh to the great days with Ted Heath.

I went to a dance in Bognor Regis dancing to the Ray Ellington quartet. He was famous from being on the goon show. The band singer was a very young Cleo Laine. You could get right close up to them, and Cleo was very friendly and easy to get on with. Not bad on the eyes either. There is some good jazz still around NYC from small pubs and cafes. New Yorker magazine has a good list of who's who and where. So does the times.

I went to a dance in Bognor Regis dancing to the Ray Ellington quartet. He was famous from being on the goon show. The band singer was a very young Cleo Laine. You could get right close up to them, and Cleo was very friendly and easy to get on with. Not bad on the eyes either. There is some good jazz still around NYC from small pubs and cafes. New Yorker magazine has a good list of who's who and where. So does the times.

Talking about Cleo close up.

I saw her hubby in a coffee bar somewhere around West Bar, seems to me downstairs .No booze ,paid admission (I think).

Dankworth had a Quintet. It was like a concert in your average living room.

They must have been playing for peanuts

I have a B&W poster above my computer 36" x26" 'Art Kane Jazz Portrait' Harlem 1958.

57 Jazz musicians who where in NY on that day..

Wish I had a time machine

Sweetdexter

An old pal gave me a copy of that poster and it is fascinating how many all time greats are on it.

It's a real treasure.

Happy Days!

That would be 'A Great Day in Harlem' wouldn't it Dex? The photographer was Art Kane.

I remembered the guitar player's name with Ray Ellington, it was Laurie Deniz. He remained with the group longest, but there was another guy before that. Didn't the knock out Marion Ryan sing with Ray Ellington for a while too?

In the Sixties I remember a Sheffield Jazz band called The Lennie Denitz Quartet ..or something like that...The Drummer was the young Earl of Wharncliffe ..can anyone give me more info? co's I need it for another thread.

Johnnie Lennitz I think.
Yes that sounds about right....I never saw them but they used to get a writeup

in the Star now and again.

Would the guitarist with Ray Ellinton be Judd Proctor?

Another band which knocked me over was Buddy Rich,a wonderful drummer but they tell me horrible man,his version of "Love For Sale"is among my all time top ten.

I remember one time we saw him he would lay down the tempo, and play his drums for about sixteen bars, the call out the chart number giving the sidemen about thirty seconds to find it, the count them in 2-3-4,and every number the band had to furiously delve through the book to find their respective parts.

One of the Ted Heath "Greats" was lead trumpeter Bobby Pratt, remember those beautiful duets with Bert Ezzard? Bobby's widow Tina now lives in Australia with her family,and was over in the UK a few weeks ago, and stayed with my Wife and I for a few days, and we had a wonderful time talking about Bobby's life,and tragic death, and she presented us with a wonderful collection of photographs of Bobby from his early days as a professional musician in his teens, with the Squadronaires,Ken Mackintosh to the great days with Ted Heath.

Been some great stories about Buddy Rich over the years, somebody should collect 'em. My favorit is the one where he got into some kind of altercation with Dusty Springfield. Apparently she complained about his playing too loud, and made some kind of remark of a personal nature. Naturally Buddy had to be restrained from giving her a smack. Afterwards he sent a note of apology and a present. A shoebox of broken glass.

Oscar Peterson said he should've been kept in a cage and only let out for gigs.

Been some great stories about Buddy Rich over the years, somebody should collect 'em. My favorit is the one where he got into some kind of altercation with Dusty Springfield. Apparently she complained about his playing too loud, and made some kind of remark of a personal nature. Naturally Buddy had to be restrained from giving her a smack. Afterwards he sent a note of apology and a present. A shoebox of broken glass.

The story I heard was inside the box along with the broken glass was a note from the band which read "This can only improve your voice"

Another story regarding Buddy Rich was when he was about to have an operation,the Nurse asked if he had any allergies,he replied"yes country music"