Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

What I would really like to see is a acappella group of eighteen or so voices. You know, like a big band such as Count Basie. Now that would be really something, and it could be done, because the singers are out there. They could do some of the old Kenton stuff after a bit of practice.

What I would really like to see is a acappella group of eighteen or so voices. You know, like a big band such as Count Basie. Now that would be really something, and it could be done, because the singers are out there. They could do some of the old Kenton stuff after a bit of practice.

You've got to hand it to the oldsters in this business, they had nothing but the knowledge and raw talent to make it all work, so much so that they were emulated and looked up to in ways that will never be equalled.

Texas - Manhattan Transfer did a lot of similar stuff in the idiom you've mentioned, now the founder of that group has since passed away. Thanks sweetdexter for the heads up on Clark Terry.

Hello Everyone,

I wrote a blog about Double Life at The Broadfield in January 1979, featuring some of Sheffield's finest young players. They played jazzy, Steely Dan style soft rock.

Link here: http://www.mylifeinthemoshofghosts.com/2015/05/09/double-life-the-broadfield-sheffield-friday-12th-january-1979/

Cheers

Dodger

Another one gone

http://www.jazzfm.com/news/music.../jazz-vocal-giant-mark-murphy-dies-at-8...

Wow over 50 years since I saw Mark Murphy at the Harrow .

Remember like it was yesterday ,Took my sister and sat on the perimeter bench.Mark was announced and the guy sitting next to my sister got up and bounded onto the stage.

Very Unique style,not everyone's cup of tea but I liked him ,I still have the LP I think it is called "Mark Time"

That's very sad news. I bought 'Rah' a long time ago, dug it, and then I didn't get any more of his work. I've never heard him 'live', only on record, he is good, in fact probably one of the best. I always remember, though, hearing a recording of 'Boplicity', with a singer I thought was Jack Jones gone super hip! It was brilliant. So I've always had a fantasy of Mark Murphy and Jack Jones doing a song together.

I was wondering if Mark Murphy ever made it to the City Hall on one of the package tours that were prevalent at one time, I'm sure that I saw him at some point. I really enjoy his style and take on a standard, I read where he performed at Ronny Scott's a few times over the years and am sure he sang at various Jazz Festivals around the world during his illustrious career.

I was wondering if Mark Murphy ever made it to the City Hall on one of the package tours that were prevalent at one time, I'm sure that I saw him at some point. I really enjoy his style and take on a standard, I read where he performed at Ronny Scott's a few times over the years and am sure he sang at various Jazz Festivals around the world during his illustrious career.

I saw MM at the pub,was it "The Old Harrow" or "The Harrow" I think we took the Gleadless Town End bus.

Also saw Tubby Hayes there,not with MM

The Steel City Stompers were formed at St Chads Youth Club in about 1950. We picked up different instruments and started to blow .National service did get in the way so therefore many budding musicians passed through the ranks of the S.C.S. to replace the one who had been called up. I could go on for ever about this topic but just one more thing. The trombonist that has been refered to was John Horton who fled to New York and became a surgeon. He also played with the Apex Jazz Band at the Hallamshire on West st

I was one of the original members of Steel City Stompers on drum, Sam (Tony) Wright (now deceased)was a neighbour & he was the leader when we started at St Chads youth club in about 1949/50. We had Bob Gillette on Piano, Alan Beatson on clarinet, Clive Aitchison on Bass clarinet, B ill Davidson on Souza & sometimes banjo, & Ken from Frecheville, think who joined later on. We starte in the club& then in a pub near the City Hall, Norton Pub, Meadowhead & many other venues. Be interested to hear of other memories.

Back in 1960 I went to school in Chesterfield. The first time I met my Chemistry teacher I was convinced that I knew him; his name was Mr.Lolley. Then it struck me where I'd seen him.When I got home I found my e.p.(remember those?) of The Saints jazz band and there on the front,clutching a banjo, was my teacher,Jim Lolley.

He lived in Chesterfield,off Hadey Hill. I suppose by now he's at a gig elsewhere.