Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

Texas, you quite correct, the trumpet player is the late very great Kenny Baker, and it was his own arrangement.This was from the very early days of this great band 1946-47.

Anybody in Sheffield know how Barry Whitworth is nowadays? The last time I heard he wasn't in good health.

I read that James Moody is not well. A while back there was talk on this thread of his long standing hit 'Moody's Mood for Love', and the vocal version by Eddie Jefferson and it's subsequent high jacking by 'King Pleasure'. What I didn't realize that the number has also been recorded by performers as diverse as Aretha Franklin, George Benson, Rod Stewart, Amy Winehouse, etc; etc.

So, James Moody died on Dec9. RIP.

Also Monty Sunshine.

Tex - Sad news on James Moody, there can't be too many of the old legends left. I found out a tenor player that I had mentioned earlier on this thread, 'Roy Reynolds', has since passed away in Victoria B.C., he had played on the British band scene in the early days and played for Stan Kenton in the 70's until Kenton's death around '79, Roy did eventually settle in Canada. I think he lived in Vancouver at some point and then back east in Ottawa but eventually moved back to Vancouver Island, saw him a few times over the years at different venues in and around the lower mainland, he was a dynamite player. I wish I knew how to introduce those links to various sites on Roy but for anybody interested, if you google his name and mention 'Jazz' a person can see him in action and read his 'Obit' and other info!

Edited by fleetwood
Additions and corrections

Monty Sunshine. So many memories of him playing alongside Chris Barber and Pat Halcox at the City Hall. What a great clarinetist Monty was. And what a great ensemble the Barber band of the late 50s, early 60s was.

I last saw Monty in about 1978 when he was playing a gig with Micky Ashman at the Sgt's Mess, RAF Laarbruch, Germany. It was a great evening and they were readily available for a chat afterwards. We had a number of mutual friends, including Sheffield's John Shillito and the late Cyril Preston both formerly of the Gloryland Jazzband.

Mike

Does anyone remember Monty Sunshine when he was with Ken Colyer, (he of the khaki workingshirts) and the Crane River band?

He was undoubtedly the star in the band, a very talented player.

And fleets. You got me there. Roy Reynolds, I'd never heard of him but obviously a solid sideman. I looked him up and found that over the years he worked with a lot of bands, but the one that got me was Joe Daniel's Hotshots. From the Hotshots to Stan Kenton, now there's a trip.

Don't remember him myself at that time, Texas. He was already hooked up with Barber when I started to take an interest in jazz. But the trio of Halcox, Sunshine & Barber was brilliant and just clicked. When Monty moved on to form his own band bk in the mid 60s, I didn't think it was nearly as good and his talents didn't come through as strong. He was a great clarinetist.

I wonder melthebell, do you like Carla Bley's music?

But the reason I posted is somemore sad news. Billy Taylor is gone, RIP.

I wonder melthebell, do you like Carla Bley's music?

But the reason I posted is somemore sad news. Billy Taylor is gone, RIP.

dont think ive ever heard any Carla Bley tbh

Ive heard of Billy Taylor mind R.I.P as ive always loved stuff like Miles Davis, Art Tatum, Charlie Parker and Dizzie Gillespie