Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

The Lescar Hotel (pub) has jazz night every Wednesday in the back room. It's usually very good. - Sharrow Vale Road, Nether Edge £2 in.

Who remembers Humphrey Lyttlton?

I remeber seeing him and Sidney Bechet marching around the stage at the City Hall.

I believe his clarinet player was Wlly Fawkes a.k.aTrogs a cartoonist.

Also popular at this time was Chris Barber

Hola sweetdexter, I think everybody knows of Humph, I personally remember the concert with Sydney Bechet, he was tremendous, which was only normal for him. The older I get the more I realise we were fortunate to be able to see and hear musicians of the calibre of people like Sydney Bechet, he was certainly a true great. When you look back on the list of jazz musicians who appeared at the City Hall, wow, it's almost endless. Does anyone remember when Nat Cole appeared there? His regular trio at the time was augmented by the addition of Lee Young, Lester's brother, on drums. The City was packed!

Never took to Humphrey Lytellton but I really enjoyed the Chris Barber concerts. Best of all for me though from those trad concerts was when Acker Bilk was supporting band to Kid Ory's band.

Acker and his lads got a storming reception and were the star attraction for me. Kid Ory seemed to be a bit of an anticlimax after that.

Later on, I enjoyed the Dave Brubeck Quartet with the immortal Paul Desmond. Also, the Count Basie band.

One of my regrets is that I never went to see Ted Heath's band on the many occasions they played in Sheffield.

Anybody remember the time when the Basil Kirchin band played for dancing downstairs at the City? The thing was, he had a talent spot and apart from the usual suspects this girl got on stage and did 'It's Only a Paper Moon', she was bloody brilliant, I'll never forget that one. Small chick with glasses, anybody remember her? Barry Whitworth borrowed a horn and did 'Dont Mean a Thing if it ain't got that Swing', and some guy did a Danny Kaye impression. It was a good night. Nobody danced, just gathered round the stand and listened.

I saw Ted Heath a few times.

I remember one number ,was it the R,J Boogie?

Ronnie Verel and Johny Hawksworth ,Drums and bass tour -de-force for those two guys.

Didn't his lead trombone come from Stocksbridge or Oughtibridge,Don Lusher seems to ring a bell.

As popT would say "happy days"

I still have the programe for the Bechet concert at the City Hall along with the one for the Jack Teagarden Earl Hines All Stars And the Louis Armstrong All Stars. One of the bands that I liked was Harry Gold & his Pieces of Eight. When I was stationed at R.A.F. Conningsby . Harry Gold was the first thing we heard in the morning. That was the station radio net works signature tune.

Sweetdexter,I think you will find Don Lusher came from Peterborough,and "learned his trade" with the local Salvation Army Band,the last I heard Johnny Hawksworth was in Australia, composing background music,TV themes,one was for the George and Mildred series one, and of course Ronnie Verrell has died,probably you are thinking of the Sheffield connection with Johnny Hawksworth who I think came from Totley

I know of a certain, very keen Jazz trumpet player in Sheffield who joined the Salvation to learn to read music. And another Jazzbro' who was listening intently to a Salvation Army small group in Sheffield, playing Carols one Christmas, he was taken by the way the Cornet player played something. When the band took a break, he sidled up to the Cornet player and said 'Hey,that were good, does tha' play Bop in thi' spare time?

Sprite.When did Louis A, come to Sheffield?

I remember standing in line at Wilson & Peck's before it was opening time to get tickets for Louis .

This would be in 56 I think,.

Anyway the concert was cancelled so I never got to see him.

I was not in the country 58-61 then 66 onward maybe he came in this time period.

blimey

interesting stuff

i like a bit of jazz, unfortunately im too young for all that, my era was mid 80s punk gigs :P

Hey sprite, Those two programmes you have are worth keeping. I saw the Jack Teagarden / Earl Hines concert back then, am I right in thinking the trumpet player with the All-Stars was Max Kaminsky, and the clarinet player 'Peanuts' Hucko? I swear I saw the great Eddie Condon at the City too, somtime or other.

I never did get to see Louis Armstrong, but didn't he play a Working Mens Club somewhere near Leeds? I'll bet somebody somewhere has all the programmes of all the Jazz concerts at the City.