Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

There used to be a BBC TV show in the 50s called Top Town, a bit like It's a Knockout. I remember a skiffle group representing Sheffield and the lad with the washboard stuck it between his knees and did a forward roll. Don't remember if they won. :)

The old washboard played a big part in the sound and what they were all about that's for sure. To name a few 'Rock Island Line' and 'Freight Train, Freight Train' fleetwood

Now I wouldn't have put you down as a 'Skiffle' fan but, then again, it takes all kinds. i know you like Julie London (so do I ). You'll remember she was married to Jack Webb and made a few films. I have seen a couple or three recently. But to Jack Webb. I didn't know he played the cornet for real. I remember I was impressed by his performance in 'Pete Kelly's Blues', he was perfect for that role, but that it was some other musician played the notes. He was a huge jazz fan and had thousands of tapes. I watched a movie recently 'Appointment with Danger' starring Alan Ladd, No details AL doing his usual stuff, but the business between A and J, very funny. Not intentional comedy you understand, but it made me laugh. If you get the chance have a look.

any older jazz fans remember the Esquire club later to become the leadmill ,the stage could be viewed from the floor above through a big hole. They only had a soft drink bar but turned a blind eye to bottles hidden in side a combat jacket or parka.

---------- Post added 21-05-2018 at 20:57 ----------

There used to be a BBC TV show in the 50s called Top Town, a bit like It's a Knockout. I remember a skiffle group representing Sheffield and the lad with the washboard stuck it between his knees and did a forward roll. Don't remember if they won. :)

catchy song"dont be late to make a date with holiday town" cant remember the rest, last word could have been parade.

Edited by choogling

Now I wouldn't have put you down as a 'Skiffle' fan but, then again, it takes all kinds. i know you like Julie London (so do I ). You'll remember she was married to Jack Webb and made a few films. I have seen a couple or three recently. But to Jack Webb. I didn't know he played the cornet for real. I remember I was impressed by his performance in 'Pete Kelly's Blues', he was perfect for that role, but that it was some other musician played the notes. He was a huge jazz fan and had thousands of tapes. I watched a movie recently 'Appointment with Danger' starring Alan Ladd, No details AL doing his usual stuff, but the business between A and J, very funny. Not intentional comedy you understand, but it made me laugh. If you get the chance have a look.

I never said I was a fan of the music but it did lead to musicians gravitating to other genres and becoming quite good in their chosen type. I did enjoy the book though. Your notes (ha ha) on the other book on Julie London I thought I had covered because I had read the book, perhaps you might want to read my post in that regard. Try not to sound to sarcastic in future. fleetwood

any older jazz fans remember the Esquire club later to become the leadmill ,the stage could be viewed from the floor above through a big hole. They only had a soft drink bar but turned a blind eye to bottles hidden in side a combat jacket or parka.

---------- Post added 21-05-2018 at 20:57 ----------

catchy song"dont be late to make a date with holiday town" cant remember the rest, last word could have been parade.

I can't remember 'The Leadmill' but I remember the 'Esquire' on Leadmill Road. It was just up the road from that big garage on the corner. It was run by a guy called Tony somebody from Manchester. He got a lot of good jazz acts down there and fans could get right up into the action etc,etc. Once he got Cleo Lane after she'd been on at the City Hall and really she didn't want to be there. If you could lip read the language was quite basic. But bread is bread.

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 18:54 ----------

I never said I was a fan of the music but it did lead to musicians gravitating to other genres and becoming quite good in their chosen type. I did enjoy the book though. Your notes (ha ha) on the other book on Julie London I thought I had covered because I had read the book, perhaps you might want to read my post in that regard. Try not to sound to sarcastic in future. fleetwood

Sarcastic, moi ?

I can't remember 'The Leadmill' but I remember the 'Esquire' on Leadmill Road. It was just up the road from that big garage on the corner. It was run by a guy called Tony somebody from Manchester. He got a lot of good jazz acts down there and fans could get right up into the action etc,etc. Once he got Cleo Lane after she'd been on at the City Hall and really she didn't want to be there. If you could lip read the language was quite basic. But bread is bread.

Wasn't it run by Terry Thornton? Don't think he was from Manchester. As a teenager he lived with his parents on Larch Hill.

The Cleo Laine connection sounds right as she appeared with Johnny Dankworth at Club 60 which was another of his places.

Wasn't it run by Terry Thornton? Don't think he was from Manchester. As a teenager he lived with his parents on Larch Hill.

The Cleo Laine connection sounds right as she appeared with Johnny Dankworth at Club 60 which was another of his places.

Yes Jim, the Esquire (Leadmill Road) was started around 1962 by Sheffield born Terry Thornton, primarily as a Jazz venue evolving into a Blues/Rock place a year or so later (they might have still retained some Jazz nights tho'.) Someone mentioned that the stage could be viewed from 'a hole' on an upper floor, which was a mezzanine with a good view of the stage.

---------- Post added 23-05-2018 at 17:25 ----------

The old washboard played a big part in the sound and what they were all about that's for sure. To name a few 'Rock Island Line' and 'Freight Train, Freight Train' fleetwood

I recall in the late 1950's a skiffle group (Lonnie Donegan / Nancy Whisky stuff) playing a lot of Sheffield venues. That would be the Greycats, not sure if they were from Sheffield. Never saw them cos' in the late 50's I was only 11.

Yes Jim, the Esquire (Leadmill Road) was started around 1962 by Sheffield born Terry Thornton, primarily as a Jazz venue evolving into a Blues/Rock place a year or so later (they might have still retained some Jazz nights tho'.) Someone mentioned that the stage could be viewed from 'a hole' on an upper floor, which was a mezzanine with a good view of the stage.

---------- Post added 23-05-2018 at 17:25 ----------

I recall in the late 1950's a skiffle group (Lonnie Donegan / Nancy Whisky stuff) playing a lot of Sheffield venues. That would be the Greycats, not sure if they were from Sheffield. Never saw them cos' in the late 50's I was only 11.

Seems the memory is playing tricks, not a million miles from Terry to Tony. Perhaps Terry Thornton opened a club in Manchester?

There's a reasonably full account of Club60 and the Esquire Club in Don Hale and Terry Thornton's book "Club 60 and The Esquire:Sheffield Sound in the 60's"

It helps if you have some knowledge of what was happening before you read the book because there are many gaps and events just not included.

Included in the book is a picture of Gordon Grooby (incorrectly spelled) who had been running a jazz club at the Haigh Tree Inn on Bernard Street between 1954 and 1959.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Club-60-Esquire-Sheffield-Sounds/dp/1500543667/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1527252547&sr=1-3&keywords=terry+thornton

There's a reasonably full account of Club60 and the Esquire Club in Don Hale and Terry Thornton's book "Club 60 and The Esquire:Sheffield Sound in the 60's"

It helps if you have some knowledge of what was happening before you read the book because there are many gaps and events just not included.

Included in the book is a picture of Gordon Grooby (incorrectly spelled) who had been running a jazz club at the Haigh Tree Inn on Bernard Street between 1954 and 1959.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Club-60-Esquire-Sheffield-Sounds/dp/1500543667/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1527252547&sr=1-3&keywords=terry+thornton

you may like to compare

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Club+60+%26+The+Esquire%3A+Sheffield+Sounds+in+the+60%27s&_sacat=0

may well be worth all of £9.99