Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

Hi fleets, yes, speaking for myself, I saw the programme you mention (or something like it), a few months ago. The nearest I ever got to the family Rothschild, was a visit to one of their houses at Exbury in the New Forest.

Can you recieve any BBC Radio programmes where you are? Perhaps online? For instance, can you get Jazz Record Requests?

Hi fleets, yes, speaking for myself, I saw the programme you mention (or something like it), a few months ago. The nearest I ever got to the family Rothschild, was a visit to one of their houses at Exbury in the New Forest.

Can you recieve any BBC Radio programmes where you are? Perhaps online? For instance, can you get Jazz Record Requests?

Hi Tex - I view some of the BBC TV news programmes on their overseas service, but thats about it, I don't know how to go about getting anything else. *** I sometimes listen to CBC FM and their jazz shows which are usually announced in french, I was listening the other night, I take everything back about my take on 'where have all the good jazz singers gone', while they played a lot of the older stuff they featured a lot of newer talent, names that I didn't recognise, nevertheless it blew me away. *** Whilst on holiday, my wife and I were visiting old friends, they have satellite radio in their car, it was neat listening to a jazz programme and seeing the artist name and title of the piece come up on a little screen!

Edited by fleetwood

Well I just wondered, fleets, if BBC radio was easy to get in your neck o' the woods. When I used to visit the US up to a few years ago I always could find some jazz on the radio wherever we were. There's not a lot of jazz on radio in Britain nowadays, apart from the aformentioned Record Request programme. That's on Radio Three, Saturdays, among the opery, and other highbrow stuff. The reason I wondered if you could get the programme is that on the last programme, the first record they played was 'Tin Roof Blues', by the New Orleans Rhythm Kings. Man, that recording was old. It had Leon Rapallo on clarinet, and as you know HE didn't last long on this earth, sane that is. He finished up improvising to telephone wires out in the desert somewhere, I think.

I don't know a great lot about contempory jazz singers, I mean where do they get their inspiration? The singers from the past I suppose. When you've heard Betty Carter, where do you go from there? It must be frustrating to want to sing and want to sing the good stuff, the jazz, the blues, and knowing that what you're doing has been done before.

For all you Jazz and Big Band fans out there I have just heard of the passing of Jack Parnell, a great drummer in any group large or small,we all have our memories of his work especially with the great Ted Heath band,and his two drum feature with the late great Phil Seaman when JP formed his own band.

For all you Jazz and Big Band fans out there I have just heard of the passing of Jack Parnell, a great drummer in any group large or small,we all have our memories of his work especially with the great Ted Heath band,and his two drum feature with the late great Phil Seaman when JP formed his own band.

Sad news indeed.

Last saw Jack Parnell about 10 years or so ago. playing with the

The Best of British of Jazz. If my memory serves me the band had, Don lusher,

Brian Lemon, Roy Willcox and Lennie Bush among its members.

Happy memories.

Edited by bazjea

Hi Highnote - Thanks, although sad news on Jack Parnell's passing and you are right we will have our memories. I had read that in recent years he had formed a group of older retired musicians including Betty Smith on tenor for weekend gigs in a pub, where they played just for the fun of it.

The Steel City Stompers were formed at St Chads Youth Club in about 1950. We picked up different instruments and started to blow .National service did get in the way so therefore many budding musicians passed through the ranks of the S.C.S. to replace the one who had been called up. I could go on for ever about this topic but just one more thing. The trombonist that has been refered to was John Horton who fled to New York and became a surgeon. He also played with the Apex Jazz Band at the Hallamshire on West st

Steel City Stompers was started at St Chads Youth Club in the 1950's Tony (Sam) Wright was the founder & I was one of the original members with three others. Sam unfortunately died a few years ago, but I remember him from the 1940's.;)

More sad news I'm afraid, the singer Abbey Lincoln died recently. She didn't gain any fame like Ella Fitzgerald, or Carmen McRea et al, but she was certainly up there with the best. She was in the film 'The Girl Can't Help It', but I think that was the highest she got in popular culture. She did a lot of albums, the majority being still available. My favorite is 'Straight Ahead', slanted toward the political in feel, but great music, and with some of the greatest musicians; Booker Little, Coleman Hawkins, Eric Dolphy, Mal Waldron, Max Roach, the others I can't remember. It was recorded in 1961, the 'new thing' was on its way in and the arrangments show that influence, but it's not pretentious. A vocal album of its time by a great singer.

More sad news I'm afraid, the singer Abbey Lincoln died recently.

I love her voice,one of my favourite singers .

I got to Ottawa and viewed the Oscar statue.A lousy piece of work the artist totally screwed up,the casting is terrible deformed cheek ,huge pits in the lips.

I don,t remember anyone criticizing it though.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
fixed quotes

About a year ago I mentioned the song 'Easy Street' and said I'd once had a 78' of the song featuring Chris Conner. Well, it wasn't Chris Conner, it was Julie London. I heard the track the other day and, of course, knew straight away I'd been laboring under a misconception (hard work that), for a number of years. All I've got to do now is try and remember which record I had featuring Chris Conner.

What about that Julie London though? Somebody once said she could sing the New York telephone directory and make it sound sexy.

Hi Tex - Of course Julie was married to Bobby Troupe who wrote 'Route 66', so they all come by 'a way with a song' honestly!

Edited by fleetwood
Dunno