Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

Funny story coming up, supposedly true, probably is. Two bass players, Pat Landolfe and Lew Weldeck had arranged to meet in the Carnegie Tavern after a benefit concert at Carnegie Hall. The main attraction was Frank Sinatra. When Lew came into the Tavern he was all agog. 'Pat,' he said excitidly, 'I just met Frank Sinatra, and he spoke to me!' 'What did he say?' asked Pat. 'Well, he was coming down the stairs just as I was coming up and he said 'Get the f*** out of my way.'

Funny story coming up, supposedly true, probably is. Two bass players, Pat Landolfe and Lew Weldeck had arranged to meet in the Carnegie Tavern after a benefit concert at Carnegie Hall. The main attraction was Frank Sinatra. When Lew came into the Tavern he was all agog. 'Pat,' he said excitidly, 'I just met Frank Sinatra, and he spoke to me!' 'What did he say?' asked Pat. 'Well, he was coming down the stairs just as I was coming up and he said 'Get the f*** out of my way.'

I also heard a Frank Sinatra story

He was riding the elevator in the days when there was an elevator operator.

The operator was staring at Frank Sinatra's wrist watch,whereupon Frank took it off and gave it to him.

The guy must've been like a walking time bomb. One thing for certain, we'll never see the like again. My own take on Frank Sinatra is, apart from being a great interpreter of song lyrics, and having a voice to match, he was so bloody funny.

I have mentioned 'Mick Patterson' before on this thread, but i'm wondering if anybody else from Sheffield (or anywhere else for that matter) remembers him? Mick was a good jazz pianist, he was born in Pitsmoor (his father was the sous chef at the old Grande Hotel). *** He was a few years younger than me, I had not long gotten out of NS, I like to think it was me and a few other people who worked with him at the time that pushed Mick into appreciating jazz, although I think he would have done it all by himself eventually. *** In the early days he was so good he started to play in local pubs where he was expected to play the popular commercial stuff, it was'nt too long before his playing started to sound a little a la Shearing. *** We all moved on job wise, but always kept in touch, I always tried to see him as often as possible. *** One gig I recall him playing was with a group that included Tony Oxley on drums, for a bona fide jazz session (at Wadsley Bridge up the hill past the railway bridge where the pub faces you on the right-hand side at the bend, sorry forgot the name). *** Mick by this time had shed his early influences and was swinging like crazy, I remember an audience member drumming on a table with sticks and Tony going ballistic and stopping the music, calling the guy a few choice names. *** Mick said he and Tony used to go to the symphonies together totally immersing themselves in classical music and culture, it must have been close to the time that Tony left for London and the Ronnie Scott club. *** Many years later I was visiting Sheffield and went with a mutual friend to a large restaurant to see and hear Mick who was leading a group there (he was also married by this time). One of their jobs was accompanying singers who's stars had faded somewhat, Mick had to transpose and rewrite charts for some of these visitors (the likes of Roy Orbison comes to mind, although Roy went on to make millions again later.) *** We did lose touch over the ensuing years and I'm sad to say, I don't have dates and times or the sequence of events, but years later Mick Patterson, who by this time also had a family and was living outside of Sheffield, died from injuries sustained in a traffic accident.

Edited by fleetwood
Corrections and a rewrite

One gig I recall him playing with a group (through Wadsley Bridge up the hill past the railway bridge and the pub that faces you at the top, sorry forgot the name)

I remember attending a gig there.Was it the White Horse?

The landlady at that time was called Hill .I knew her and her daughter

I seem to remember a swinging night it would have been early 60s

Hi sweets - That might have been the name of the pub, no idea of other names. I'm estimating it would have been late 50's and no later than 60 (I think). fleetwood

Hi sweets - That might have been the name of the pub, no idea of other names. I'm estimating it would have been late 50's and no later than 60 (I think). fleetwood[/quote

It could have been 60/61 now you mention it Fleets.

I came back from the far East about that time and I had a big chunk of leave due ,it was during this leave I went there.

You'll have to excuse me sticking my nose in here, because I never heard Mick Patterson. It's just that I can't imagine Tony Oxley using brushes.

You'll have to excuse me sticking my nose in here, because I never heard Mick Patterson. It's just that I can't imagine Tony Oxley using brushes.

Hi Tex - Am I missing something here? Who said he was 'using brushes'.

I see Johnnie Dankworth has gone to meet his maker today - a sad loss.

A sad loss indeed, Puffin4.