Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

Would it be too forward to ask, jackandclaud, what subject 'only slightly related to jazz' you were researching? If it's related at all, I'm interested.

Unfortunately there is a commercial element to the research so, although the actual subject is quite mundane, I am unable to reveal it. However it involved the possibility that certain musicians were playing on the soundtrack of a 1930's Film.

Incidentally, the Broonzy/Haigh Tree information emerged while I was looking into the Fats story. The licensees of the Haigh Tree were apparently related to the landlady of one of the theatrical digs and often put up any performers she could not accommodate.

Now you've got me j+c. Can you reveal the actors, or even the film title?

What I can say is pretty much limited to what I've said already, unfortunately.

If the research fails completely I'll be released from the legal constraints imposed by my contract and if it's successful then, eventually, it'll be in the public domain anyway. Like I said though, it is fairly mundane!

Sorry!

Hi Texas

As I remember Colin Graham,I seem to think he used to write an article on fishing every week in the Sheffield Telegraph. He did start a band at the Albert Hotel at the top of Cambridge St I seem to remember they were called The Tin Roof Jazzmen, but they never really got off the ground.

Colin Graham was a very well-known journalist with the Sheffield Telegraph, and became chief reporter until he left to set up the South Yorkshire News Service. He wrote a jazz column called Longfellow's Log, and did the angling column, too. His mother was Lady Mayoress in 1966.

And here's me thinking he was hip fuzz.

I read Fleetwood's sentiments about jazz today, and the lack of articles about the music. I agree with him 100%. You're reading a record review and the double zzzz's catch your eye. You focus, and BAM, you don't know any names at all. Or if you perhaps recognise a name or two, you don't consider them as jazz people. An example, Kenny G, good Lord almighty, who in their right mind would call him a jazzman? Trouble is all the greats are either gone or on their way.

Sometimes I get a suprise. Today I heard a clarinet player, I'd never heard of him before, knocked me out (bit of jargon there), name of Perry Robinson. He's been around a few years and made some good recordings, but not a great lot. Thing is he's only 5years younger than I am. So that puts him at ??.

If you see a CD at a price that you can afford without selling your house, grab it!

Clarinet players, Benny Badman, Artie Shaw, Tony Scott, and George Lewis. These are the only clarinet player that spring to mind. But the one that really made me listen was Lester Young, and now Perry Robinson.

Come on Texas. What about Barny Bigard, Peanuts Hucko, Johnny Mince and a more modern one Ken Peplowsky who plays with the great Marty Grosz to name but a few.

I seem to remember going to a pub upstairs to hear 'Trad'. There was a female vocalist very slight young woman singing Ma Rainey songs.

Could this have been The Haigh Tree mentioned in an earlier forum.

By the way Texas I remember getting into a conversation with a guy who called himself 'Tex' at this pub.

I leaned over to hear was was being said and sent the whole table of beer onto the floor

haigh

Well done swee'dex. I dont want to get into typing long lists of clarinet players but one of my favorits was and still is Pee Wee Russell. Then there's Jimmy Noone, Buster Bailey et al, but what I was trying to say is that Benny Goodman wrote the script as far as the clarinet in jazz is concerned and he was such a perfectionist. So why doesn't do anything for me apart from me appreciating just how good a musician he was?

I've been led to believe over the years, that among musical instruments, clarinet is one of the most difficult to learn to play. So I appreciate his musicanship and that's it.

Now take Lester Young. A figurhead in tenor playing, the other being Coleman Hawkins as you know. He made a few recordings playing clarinet and his approach was somehow different. Instantly attractive to me. So I think that's what it is, the fresh approach to the instrument, a difference in sound, warmth, humor,just something. That's why my favorits are Pee Wee, Lester Young (on clarinet) and latterly Perry Robinson.

Years ago when we could not decide which movie to go and see,my choice was always the cinema that played the best music before the movie started.

One ,(I don't know if it was the Ritz )played Moonglow (Theme from Picnic)

It was a small group with Benny Goodman and Lionel Hampton

Yeah, a good record that one. Do you remember the Perez Prado selection they used to play at the Hippodrome, in his Mambo period. I remember they would play Eddie Calvert's hit 'Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White' and I always used to wonder if he was a relation to Leon Calvert.

Texas & Fleetwood

Re your mention of the Arthur Rowberry band. I joined the semi-pro band in 1949 when I came out of the R.A.F. The band had just won the Musical Express National Championship. In 1950 we won both the Musical Express Championship and the Melody Maker championship. I left the band to turn pro and the following year the band won both championships again. After I left they added a trombone, making the brass section 4 trumpets and 1 trombone. The trombone player was Laurie Monk, who I had played with as a semi-pro. He later played with Rabin and Dankworth before going on to produce the Alan Dell Big Band Show on Radio 2 on Monday nights. They then turned pro. Only 3 of the semi-pro band went pro. Arthur recruited some outstanding musicians such as Johnny Hughes (alto), Don Pashley (tenor) and Dennis Sykes (tenor). The lead trumpet was Harry Smart, one of the best players in the country. All of these musicians played with the most famous bands in the country. I remember doing a concert at the City Hall, Sheffield. In January, 1953 we toured with Sarah Vaughan and I have a feeling that we did a concert in Sheffield. Unfortunately, by the time we toured with Sarah the band had started to break up and the 'star' players had left. However, the band was still a good professional standard. We also played at the Palladium on one of Ted Heath's Sunday concerts and the Gaumont State Theatre, Kilburn at the famous annual 'Jazz Jamboree'. Our agent at this time was Harold Davison, who was the biggest band agent in the country and who later brought over people like Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong etc. It was a Birmingham based band. Arthur did not play himself but he was a great character and did much to put Birmingham on the map for big bands at no small cost to himself. The tradition still carries on and there are some fine bands there. I hope this clears up some of your queries. If you are wondering how old I must be to have done this, I am 80 years old.

Edited by Hodders
adding a phrase