Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

Led to believe there is something going on Jazz wise this weekend at either Hope or Castleton.

There was some great jazz around Sheffield in the sixties - here's a few reminders:

Stan Dawes band at Nether Edge Hall included Ronnie Chapman (tpt), Don Thompson (tnr), Stan Dawes (alt), Johnny Shaw (bar), Dave Howitt (pno & arranger).

Win Lee's band at the grand Hotel - Ray Hollingsworth (tpt), Bunny Harrison (tnr), Tony Oxley (dms), Len Stewart (dblbass),

I could go on...

The Steel City Stompers were formed at St Chads Youth Club in about 1950. We picked up different instruments and started to blow .National service did get in the way so therefore many budding musicians passed through the ranks of the S.C.S. to replace the one who had been called up. I could go on for ever about this topic but just one more thing. The trombonist that has been refered to was John Horton who fled to New York and became a surgeon. He also played with the Apex Jazz Band at the Hallamshire on West st

Thank you for that Sprite I hope John Horton still has happy memories of those times.I Do!!

Now found out from my mate that Ted Needham did used to play at Nether Edge Hall, just odd gigs for weddings, birthdays etc.

His bassist was called Jim Crow but he died early sixties and was replaced by various other people.

I was wrong about them playing at the Peacock in Baslow - it was at the Wheatsheaf in Baslow.

There used to be regular jazz nights at the White Lion on Heeley Bottom.

The pub was always packed. Was it a Tuesday evening? I can't remember.

And for a while there was one at George V, opposite the Kelvin flats.

I only have fond memories of jazz night in those two places.

Hi drainpipe,

Would the sax player Don thompson have emigrated to Canada?

There is a Don Thompson over here in the cold white north(Presently 34 and humid) who is quite a success

Hello Texas.I too remember the Smokey City Stompers. They did come from Manchester. They had a band within a band and called thenselves Upper Tars alley Washboard Creepers.

Recalling the cafe in Barkers Pool. I remember seeing many bands there. Bands that I remember. Mick Mulligans Magnolia Jazz Band & George Melly, The Crane River Jazz Band,Reg Rigedens Barefoot J/Band,but I think the greatest of them all was Freddy Randel and his band

Hey Sprite, do you remember the record sessions too? Somebody would hire a room, above a pub say, and bring along a collection of records. They'd get played and then get discussed. (Nearly a pun there). A guy named Barry or Baz held one of these sessions at a Gilmours pub on West Street, opposite Andrews, the schoolbook store. Then there was another one held in the cellar of a Solicitors opposite Eadon, Lockwood and Riddle, the auctioneers. Very educational at the time. This would be 1950 or so.

Freddy Randall band, great! It was definatly one of the best 'Chicago' style bands in England at the time.

P.S. Does'nt anybody remember the Barry Whitworth Quintet?

Hello Texas

I remember Barrie Whitworth,but he did'nt play our typy of musicg

With regards to Freddie Randall. During the 50s the S.C.S.became good friends of Fred, in fact he made it possible for us to play relief band at the Locarno in London Rd way back when . The last time we saw him was at the Esquire when he made a come back . I can't remember when it was but he said that he had got fed up with the nursing home that he owned in Brighton and he had decieded to start another band . He died about two years ago.

I just want to confirm that the Bird still lLives on in Sheffield.

Happy Days!

Hola sprite, I didn't follow Freddy Randall's career all that closely but the last time I heard of him he was still working in the early 70's. I dont think he gets his due as regards being a major figure in British Jazz, generally I mean, not among the aficionados. My top three ( British players) in the more traditional approach to Jazz trumpet would be Alex Welsh, Freddy Randall, and Kenny Ball.

And to you PopT, I certainly hope so, he does in my head I can tell you.