Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

And what of Barry Whitworth? All the rest of his compadres have been mentioned. Does he still play anywhere? The last time I heard him he was following the trend and going into a free form bag. Not really him I thought, strictly a 'bopper' was Barry. He had a great sound, bit like'Fats' Navarro. Anybody remember when the Savoy Quintet played a season at the Flamingo, I think it was, in London. They won a 'Melody Maker' competition.

Hello Texas

Yes ,the Condon mob played the City Hall back in the late 50s I think..

I also saw a modern Condon band at the Pomegranate Theatre in Chesterfield about 10 years ago.Kenny Davern was on clarinet .

Does anybody remember Jazz at the Phill coming to Sheffield sometime in the 60s? Another little bit of info for all you jazzers. Bob Wilber of The Worlds Greatest Jazz Band fame . Married a local girl from Sheffield called Joanne who had been around the local jazz scene for some time and knew more about jazz than a lot of the so called experts . She also sang at Condons club I understand

Hi Texas

Sadly I.ve heard that Barry is suffering from Parkinsons Disease.

Mozo, that is really sad news about Barry, It's hard to know what to say. I can only remember him as a guy who had it all together, a good musician. Some people found him a bit remote, and inward looking, but he was always O.K. with me.

Hey sprite, I remember JATP playing the City Hall. I've got to admit though I'm having trouble remembering who was on the show. I remember Dizzy, Oscar Peterson, and thats about it. I know there's got to be another trumpet player and two tenor players at least. My top three favorit shows there were the Kenton band, Carmen McRea, and Nat Cole, but then again, there were so many.

I saw Stan Kenton at the City Hall.

We were in the cheap seats behind the stage,first row right behind the french horn players(can't remember if there were one or two).

It was still an enjoyable experience.

Does anyone remember seeing George Lewis?

Yes, I remember seeing George Lewis, he toured with Colyer. After the concert we (The Gloryland) spirited him away to a party before putting him on a train at Midland Station. We played a few numbers on the platform.

We did a similar thing for Big Bill Broonzy but he was a bit of a handful as all he was interested in at his party was chicks, as he put it.

There used to be a jazz band playing upstairs at The Albert pub, Barkers Pool in the early 60's. Name of the band was "The Alakeefic Jazz Band". I asked one of the musicians where they got the strange name from and he said that some of them had done their National Service in the Middle East and Alakeefic meant "couldn't care less" in Arabic. I thought they were quite good at the time.

I vaguely remember it although, by that time I had ceased to live in Sheffield and only went home about once a month. I can't remember who played in the band though. Any ideas?

Yes, I remember seeing George Lewis, he toured with Colyer. After the concert we (The Gloryland) spirited him away to a party before putting him on a train at Midland Station. We played a few numbers on the platform.

We did a similar thing for Big Bill Broonzy but he was a bit of a handful as all he was interested in at his party was chicks, as he put it.

It's nice to see this thread revived.

I remember the B B Broonzy concert I think he was three sheets to the wind when he was on stage.

But a very memorable experience.

I feel rather smug at times when i talk to present day Jazz Fans and casually drop the fact I have seen i.e.Sydney Bechet,George Lewis.Jack Teagarden etc.

Does anyone remember a concert with Sara Vaughn and a trio or Quartet.

During the concert the lights went out and a male member of the group sang a couple of chores and when the lights came back on we had no idea who it was.The voice was a cross between Joe Williams and N K Cole.

I often wonder if it was Oscar Peterson on the piano he has a great singing voice.

On the subject of Oscar .In 2005 here in Canada a stamp was issued with him on it I think to commemorate his 80 th birthday

A rare tribute

Yeah good thread,

I remember the City Hall concerts, being a schoolboy I could only afford the platform ( seats behind the performers) most times.

I remember seeing Big Bill Broonzy - excellent. Eddie Condon Who appeared with Humph - rubbish, the audience cheered when Humph came back on. Sister Rosetta Tharp, Chris Barber, Ken Collier ( think Nancy Whisky & Chas mcDevitt - Freight Train) were with them. Dutch Swing College Band. Sidney Betchet. Kid Ory. Humph several times. Plus others.

Those were the days, pay two bob and see the acts a few feet away. Not like the arena, pay £20, and see a speck.

I've got some old ticket stubs somewhere and the odd old program, I'll look them out and post the details this week. + some Jazz club membership cards

I well remember the Arabic for 'could't care less', allakific. Not so sure of the spelling though. Never did see that band.

Anybody remember Kenny Napper, the bass player, he was married to a Sheffield girl, dancer I think. He was the bassist of choice for a number of visiting American acts when they came to England. I know he worked with Carmen McRea at Ronnie Scotts. He would sit in with Barry Whitworth's group occasionaly, saw him at the Black Swan once.

Years ago I went to see Count Basie and his band at the Cinema House which stood where the Mothercare shop is now on Barkers Pool.

The band was amazing, Basie just nodded his head and the band started to swing like some well oiled powerful engine.

I could have listened to that band all night.

They played numbers from his Canadian Suite which really went down well with the audience.

I forget which year but I probably still have the programme somewhere as I never threw any of the jazz concert programmes away.

Happy Days!