Why don't Sheffield's libraries open on sundays?

This post takes me back to when I was a kid, when the library only seemed to be open for eight minutes a day, and then only if there was an "R" in the month...:o

Quite right, this is the way it should be. :D

Sheffield Hallam Uni library is open on Sundays during term time and is open to the general public (during staffed hours, outside of core hours there is security and you would need a student card).

At the monent, over summer, it is closed on Sundays but will open as of September.

Sheffield Hallam Uni library is open on Sundays during term time and is open to the general public (during staffed hours, outside of core hours there is security and you would need a student card).

At the monent, over summer, it is closed on Sundays but will open as of September.

it's open 24 hours a day during term time (same at Sheffield Uni I imagine)

it needs minimal staff as security is good and self check to take/return books is used. You need to know how to get in as well, which keep out some of the riff raff

I often go in Graves library in the week, usually quite busy but there is always at least one person who smells of wee . . .

STUDENTS CAN READ ????? Well I never, wonders never cease.;)

It would be a pleasant surprise for public libraries to open on Sundays here, like some do in Ireland, but I'll let you into a little secret: Most UNIVERSITY libraries are open on Sundays, even outside term-time, although on reduced hours, shutting earlier than weekdays.

It should also be possible to apply for an Extramural Reader's membership with at least some University Libraries; I can't remember wht the rules will be at present for University of Sheffield and Hallam University, but as far as I know, past graduates such as myself can get some kind of graduate membership. University Libraries are anyway open to the general public even if they can't borrow any books or get use of the internet; they are useful sources of up-to-date periodicals and newspapers as well as books on the arts and sciences (Don't expect to find a copy of 'Harry Potter And The Order of the Rusty Phoenix' on their shelves, though) lol.

I was thinking the same yesterday, the first day I had to myself in ages, that it would be nice to go to the library. I know that Firth Park library seems to be very busy whenever I go in, as does central. Maybe the council could try opening for a few sundays as a trial (it would have to be well publicised) but I would certanly use it on a sunday, as would many of my friends and family who work all week.

Edited by algy
Late night rant removed after sleeping on it!

I'd go to the library on a Sunday, but I go every week anyway. It probably wouldn't be viable for many of them to open on Sundays as there wouldn't be many people going in.

Which library has a cafe? I've been to a few in Sheffield and none had cafes that I noticed...?

Spot on algy, couldn't have put it better myself!

My wife works in the Central Lending library 6 days a week including 2 days working until 8pm.

I saw the library in Liverpool open yesterday.

Whilst I respect people deserve two days off, that's no excuse in the 21st century. Tesco doesn't close Saturdays and Sundays.

Yes but that is for their benefit only.

This is true, I like my weekends off and wouldn't want to work any more late evenings; especially when you only usually get about three people in the library.

YOu don't have to work , they could employ someone else as well. I've moaned before about things that "we" the working man pay for as tax payers and yet never get to use. Including libraries,art galleries,museums and sports facilities.

I'd go to the library on a Sunday, but I go every week anyway. It probably wouldn't be viable for many of them to open on Sundays as there wouldn't be many people going in.

Which library has a cafe? I've been to a few in Sheffield and none had cafes that I noticed...?

There is a cafe in the Graves Art Gallery.

Situated on the top floor of the Central Library on Surrey St.