Ending 12 month contract with Fitness Unlimited early - can I do this?

The only way to get out of this is not to have signed the contract in the first place.

Why do people keep this sort of practice in business? Most gyms now are full of horrible slimy sales consultants instead of actual fitness professionals. I've met and worked with some of these 'consultants' and quite frankly they would sell their own mother to get a sale.

I'm surprised at Sheffield International Venues for adopting this practice. I would have thought they would sign people up to direct debits and allow people to cancel provided it is in writing and within a certain number of days. If someone cancelled their direct debit or did not give enough notice, then they would be able to send the debt collectors around.

Like Getting Fit said exlpore other options. Check out gyms at local sports clubs - your money there is going to a sports club, not into the pockets of a sales consultant who is only going to blow it all in the bar on a Friday night!

When I used to run a class at SIV, you could pay to attend a class, not sure if thats still the case. It should be as (I believe) SIV are partly funded out of our taxes

Yes, I signed on the dotted line. I know I signed a legal contract. But I haven't been using the bloody service. I haven't stepped foot in the damn gym for nearly six months. Can this really end up in court? Do I seriously have to pay them the full remaining amount? It seems ridiculous to me. Then again, I am very naiive in the way of gym memberships.

Philippa

There was a day when a mans word and a handshake was his bond, sadly no more.

Hello all

I joined the Fitness Unlimited 12 month membership back in April. The novelty soon wore off; I'd never been in a gym before and soon found out why. I hated it. Much prefer walking/cycling in the fresh air.

Anyway, I cancelled my direct debit because I thought it was stupid to pay for a service I hadn't used in months.

And of course they sent me a letter. This was back in May. I've just recieved another one this morning which is more threatening and says they'll pass the matter onto their legal dept and I will have to bear the costs of this.

Yes, I signed on the dotted line. I know I signed a legal contract. But I haven't been using the bloody service. I haven't stepped foot in the damn gym for nearly six months. Can this really end up in court? Do I seriously have to pay them the full remaining amount? It seems ridiculous to me. Then again, I am very naiive in the way of gym memberships.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Philippa

Its not their problem you haven`t been "using the bloody service" if you weren`t sure you wanted to join a gym you should have tried a few pay as you go sessions.

If you sign a perfectly fair contract and then break it because you can`t be arsed to use their gym, of course they will sue and win.

Why shouldn`t they, if the boot was on the other foot and you earned your money providing a service under contract, if the other party backed out would you just say fine off you go. Its why its called a contract.

Breaking it will cost you a heck of a lot more and ruining your credit score as well.

Don`t want commitment, don`t sign a contract.

Edited by Protekt