Once upon a time..Monkey bumps- Bottom of Southey Green Roadl

Ok... Im going back maybe 15-20 years roughly but does anyone remember the garages at the bottom of Southey Green Road (where it meets Pollard Avenue) to be precise. The garages and surronunding land was apparently council owned and there were council vans using thegarages most times of the day... PWD garages? Not sure if that rings any bells with anyone?

My main area of interest is the tarmac humps that were used as a play area for biked and skateboards.. They were known locally as "monkey bumps"

On visiting the area recently its sad to see that the monkey bumps have now dissapeared unser piles of waste and vegetation.

I spoke to a few locals but I was slightly taken aback when two people said they had lived in the area 20 years and there was never such thing as tarmac bumbs in a play area??

Im really sure they did exist!

Does anyone else have any knowledge about the area on the corner of Southey Road where it meets Pollard Avenue? (This is all a stones throw from the now derelict Ritz bingo hall)

Thanks guys.

I used to play on a skateboard park around that area when i was a kid, is it not cookson park?

Hi Anette. Im not sure. Im racking my brains. There is a big park that is off wordsworth avenue but im sure thats not where the bumps ever were???? It seems too far from where I lived. Im almost certain they were on that right turn as you start at the bottom of southey hill and look up to the top.

It might well have been the same place? Does where I mean tally up with you then?

On the side road, (Pollard Avenue)Theres a distinctive old iron green lampost right next to where the bumps once were and its all fenced off.

Loads of thanks.

Edited by netheredge

Ok this might sound a bit of a lame description but were there a series of tarmac bumps that appeared quite large? all black in colour?

Possibly swings? although i only remember there being bicycle/skateboard bumps there?

It sounds like the one im thinking of. There was one large bump and a few smaller ones. I used to go down Halliwell Cres from Cookson Rd to get to it.

It sounds like the one im thinking of. There was one large bump and a few smaller ones. I used to go down Halliwell Cres from Cookson Rd to get to it.

OMG.. its really weird because i remember the bumps (nothing as grand as whats there today) but i always remember them being on where i thought they were.

Maybe its childhood perception

that made the area seem a different size and ive got it muddled up. Its hoing back some years.

Can you also tell me where Chaucer School is as if im outside the old Ritz bingo place? I remember going onto the school grounds when i was a child and all i remember was a massive scary pitch black field! We could not see where our feet were lol.

There was definitely a skateboard/ BMX park,on the corner of Cookson road and Wordsworth avenue, the park was there in 1982 when I lived off Cookson road.

The park was opposite the petrol garage, that was on the corner of Wordsworth Ave and Herries Road, I believe the petrol station site is now a block of flats.

Blimey some memories are coming back now.. I used to hang around Ritz bingo, the skateboard park and i went to Chaucer School.

If your standing outside the bingo facing southey hill the Chaucer enterance is left up Wordsworth Ave.

Thanks Plain. This could actually be the place im remembering.. But definitely nothing on the bottom part of Southey Green Road as far as you can remember? Where Pollard Avenue meets it? First right if you head up hill away from Ritz bingo hall.

there is wasteland there now and im almost certain there was some kind of monkey bump, tarmaccy bicycle thing there when I was about 12/13

Edited by netheredge

I went back there yesterday and it brought back some strong emotions.

Also.. what was that notorious pub called that used to stand at the top of Southey Green Road??

Was it called the Magnet by any chance?

Anette. This is a VERY long shot but Did you happen to know a young lad by the name of Russell who lived on Pollard Crescent??

Sorry ,things keep coming back to me bit by bit!