Bleaklow B-29 crash site

A couple of shots from the crash site of the B-29 flying fortress that went down in 1948 killing all 13 crew. Eerie place when you're there on your own!

bleak1.jpg

bleak2.jpg

Comments welcome.

Last time I went up there some of the stainless steel engine parts were still bright and shiny. Are there any tatters of tyre fabric left now?

Photographed a few crash sites myself, and find that B/W is more effective, especially with the older planes. It adds atmosphere

I like the second photo, composition and low angle is good and the clouds add to the scene

Richarda

Well thank you! Having seen the photos I decided to go and look for it... Nearly bl@@dy killed me and I'm now the achiest person in the world! we didn't actually find it but can't be arsed to go looking for it again! What a stupid place to crash! It would have been better if it was closer to a pub!:rolleyes:

Alcoblog, yeah it is a bit of a walk - about 2 miles in all i think from the A57. There are no paths to it at all. I had a satellite photograph to work to but even then it took me about 90 minutes to walk there. This was my second attempt...the first time i gave up as the heavens opened.

Excellent shots thanks for sharing.

You can google earth the site - super fortress b29 - if you put- ww2 plane crash site there is a Douglas c47 and a lancaster about a mile east and south to the A57 a liberator with a Sabres - close to the east.

Looks easy to find from above -not on foot i guess.

Thanks for your replies - I've Googled and Googled and Googled thanks to some of the posters and learned a lot about the terrible accident .I was being sarcastic when I said I'd never go there again but having read about it I feel I must go and find the site (apparently my dad went there just after the crash happened) I now feel exactly where to go and have GPS on my mobi- best get my wellies on!