Do (or would) you buy educational / entertainment software for young kids?

If you're a parent...

Do you, or would you consider, buying educational fun entertainment software (games and such like) specifically designed for young children?

If so, what kind of things would you be looking for, what would be important to you?

Many Thanks,

I bought some educational CD roms for my son when he was still a baby. He's not quite old enough to play with them even now, but I thought if nothing else, he might enjoy the games when he's a little bit older. I got three of them, which are supposed to help with learning letters/writing and numbers/maths. I'm happy for my son to follow his interests as far as learning is concerned, but do think that a basic understanding of reading/writing/numeracy is important.

Thanks. I'm also thinking of something interactive for very young children. Where they can press keys on the keyboard etc, to interact with characters (graphics and sound) on screen; while at the same time they would be locked out of main access to the computer, so unable to delete anything etc..

Or maybe something where they can press any key, and if they press for example, 'E' an Elephant appears and animates on screen, along side the letter 'E', and a sound plays "E, is for Elephant", and then the Elephant makes an Elephant sound!

Also, just to get them familiar with computers at an early age etc. So maybe this would be for the 2-4 year age bracket, what do you guys think to that idea?

yes ive bought learning software for my grandaughter

Or maybe something where they can press any key, and if they press for example, 'E' an Elephant appears and animates on screen, along side the letter 'E', and a sound plays "E, is for Elephant", and then the Elephant makes an Elephant sound!

Also, just to get them familiar with computers at an early age etc. So maybe this would be for the 2-4 year age bracket, what do you guys think to that idea?

ohhhhh I love that idea..... don't know about 2-4yr olds my 9 month old has a HUGE obsession with the keyboard at the moment.

Now if you could just market it on a floppy disk for windows dinosaur so i can run it on the old slow brick for him that'd be great!!

i think something which can fix both of them together will be better~

This software is interesting for baby and it can make sounds when u press keyboard buttons~what’s more, it has several sets of sound schemes(Typewriter, Fight, Gun, Abe, Mix.......) to change~just a little kind of funny~if anybody want to have a try ~just search "funnytyping" on google or yahoo or direatly visit its public website:funnytyping.com~ have fun!

Hmm, there's always one! Well thanks for trying to hijack my thread there welchvahe, and best of luck promoting your product elsewhere..

To everyone else, genuine thanks for your opinions and feedback on this. I may well post more, it's good to get parents involved at the design stage in something like this. :)

Thanks once again,