Driving through red lights.

The driver came up Pit Lane,lights changed to green and a car came straight through the lights and hit the car side on.I believe the force of the collision took it into the traffic lights.

Same thing happened on Spital Hill last night. Lights changed and a blue car come flying through on red lights.....took a car and a van out.

Not sure what happened but one of the drivers accused the driver of the blue car of been colour blind.....or words to that effect

I can't condone such behaviour but I'd by lying if I said I've never done it myself.

What irks me more than anything as a motorist is having to stop every twenty yards at a red light which appears to be on red for absolutely no other reason than to delay my journey.

Lights change from green to red as you approach them, pretty much any time of the day or night and irrespective of whether there is any traffic waiting or worse, when there are no pedestrians in a mile of those lights sequenced to change in favour of the pedestrian. (Glossop Road outside the Rutland Hotel.)

We have red lights on filters where they simply aren't necessary; we have red lights as we wait for a tram which is probably half a mile away. We have sets of traffic lights for the sake of having bloody traffic lights. I once counted over 30 sets between Centertainment and University Square.

Sure, I can begin to understand why this gets on the motorist's nerves.

For a council which supposedly supports 'green' issues, it sure doesn't mind the cash cow motorist sitting at another pointless red light spewing out more exhaust fumes.

I keep saying there are far too many traffic lights.. you're stood for no reason.. either turn them off at non peak times... or put sensors on them so you aren't stood at completely deserted junctions!

Cyclists that do it do my head in. Some of them just don't think traffic signals apply to them. When you're already so vulnerable why would you put yourself in even more danger in order to save a few seconds? :loopy:

One has to agree on this point , maybe it is a requisite feature of a cyclist to be 100% totally arrogant & pig ignorant towards road & traffic signs & signals ...... (apologies to the few who observe them) but i would personally drive by & "see nothing" when i see any of the ignorant ones get splatted .... have a nice day arrogant - ignorant - colourblind cyclists , i hope its your last !!

you are road users the same as any other vehicle on the road whether it be powered by an engine or motor or not & ALL signs & signals apply to you .... as does the highway code ... get it into your head , vile ignorant 2 wheeled scum

Wow its only taken 5 posts for this thread to turn into another anti cycling rant, is this a forum record.

Now im guessing the OP is saying that this accident was the result of a CAR DRIVER jumping a red light.

Edited by DYKWIA

It's common in cities here for lights to have a countdown timer so you can see how long before they turn.

It gives you time to alter your driving to suit what you know is going to happen and, as a bonus, lets you know exactly when to get into gear to set off again.

Still doesn't alter the fact it's a red light which means stop.

I agree with you tho. It's like driving through the peaks coming back from Manchester at midnight to be confronted by a red light when there's no traffic in sight!!

Am I right in thinking that, at quiet times, the lights at Ladybower sit at red for everyone, and only change to green as someone approaches - to let them pass with the minimum delay?

All traffic lights work on timers ?? wether they be countdown or loop/sensor activated.. :huh: Face facts, there is always going to be some numpty that cant afford a few seconds to wait for the lights to cycle.. Is it not good driving practice to drive defensively ? Always expect the unexpected an you cant go far wrong.. ;)

Yesterday, at two consecutive sets of traffic lights, I stopped as the lights changed to red and some idiots - both more than 10 seconds after the red - just drove straight through. Were they on some suicide mission?