Know a good property management firm?

can anyone recommend a good company that manages property? trying to let property in Royal Plaza

Hi Everyone,

After living in 3 apartment developments in Sheffield, I have begun to notice how much difference a management company can make to the enjoyment of living in a particular place.

I have so far come across 2 different types of management company, one was a small company owned by a couple who had less than 10 rental properties in Sheffield, which was fantastic and was run to suit the particular needs of each building. The second is the company that seem to have the monopoly on new developments in our area and run all developments with very little thought to the development's particular needs. Everything is done to leave as little work and expense as possible for the managing agent and the very thought of explaining their actions to a resident is viewed with utter disregard. I have chosen not to mention their particular name but I am sure other members do know who I mean!.

Here is just one of my current problems with our management company:

My particular building goes under the name of another, larger, very different development further down our road in a leafy suburb of Sheffield, and is part of the same management company. The building I live in has just 4 apartments and it's own private gated entrance and parking for 5/6 cars. Between our residents we have 5 cars and have managed to park perfectly happily for 18 months. With no consultation process we have been instructed that we are going to be part of an aggressive ticketing and clamping system meaning that we cannot use the spare spaces and visitor spaces in our small car park. This means that every night we have to leave 3 empty spaces in our car park and park our cars on the street ready and waiting for preying car thieves or risk an £80.00 fine. We now have large black and red signs blighting our lovely period building and as we live on the ground floor, we have a parking attendant prowling around outside our bedroom window in the evenings, particularly unpleasant for my girlfriend when she is home alone.

This is just one example and I would like to hear from other forum members about their positive/negative experiences with management companies and if any of you have managed to overturn a decision or even change your management company....

I look forward to your responses!

Regards

CC1979

I have now left my beloved Sheffield but am renting out my house. We are currently using a property management company because we're living so far away we can't get back to Sheffield easily to fix things if they go wrong or make sure the tenants pay the rent.

We've rented the property out since October 2008 and although the house was immaculate and in perfect working order when we left, the tenants have found something every month that they want fixing. If it's under £200 the property management company go in and fix it without our consent and then charge us at the end of the month.

I lived in the house for four years before renting it out and it did not need the attention the tenants are now claiming. The property company seem to always support the tenants and even get arsey when I say that the problems they are claiming are not big enough to warrant £60/£70 fees. The type of things they are claiming are a drip from the valve in the toilet, a small leak from the radiator, a drip from one of the gutters, replacement silicon around the kitchen sink, etc. None of these has cost less than £50! They seem to just pluck the figures out of the air.

I am sick of it!

Does anyone know of a GOOD company that will look after my house whilst I am living away?

Most plumbers would probably be charging £40 - £60 callout including the first hour.

So to fix the valve you would pay the first hour plus valve cost.

The leak would be 1st hour etc etc

If you could find a builder that lives near the property you may be able to come to some agreement on charges.

I don't think they should be just doing the work without consulting you first?

I look after a block of four flats in an old house in netheredge.

The tenants ring me and I check with landlord before i do anything.

I look after property for a few landlords in Sheffield , there are different ways of paying for the service though . You can pay monthly or per visit plus materials . Get in touch if you want a chat .

I have now left my beloved Sheffield but am renting out my house. We are currently using a property management company because we're living so far away we can't get back to Sheffield easily to fix things if they go wrong or make sure the tenants pay the rent.

We've rented the property out since October 2008 and although the house was immaculate and in perfect working order when we left, the tenants have found something every month that they want fixing. If it's under £200 the property management company go in and fix it without our consent and then charge us at the end of the month.

I lived in the house for four years before renting it out and it did not need the attention the tenants are now claiming. The property company seem to always support the tenants and even get arsey when I say that the problems they are claiming are not big enough to warrant £60/£70 fees. The type of things they are claiming are a drip from the valve in the toilet, a small leak from the radiator, a drip from one of the gutters, replacement silicon around the kitchen sink, etc. None of these has cost less than £50! They seem to just pluck the figures out of the air.

I am sick of it!

Does anyone know of a GOOD company that will look after my house whilst I am living away?

Yes I would recommend Northpoint on London Road, Sheffield they do a lot of property repairs for Landlords and know exactly what you mean when you say they claim things that are not exactly so. They do all repairs on properties including replacement windows and much more .............I would give them a try. Their number is 0114 2507097

Dear Stargazer8.

My name is Adrian from Northpoint in Sheffield, I have just read your dilemma and agree with you totally, I'm sure I can help you if you would like to phone me on 01142 507097

10am - 5pm Mon - Fri

Regards

Adrian

as a tenant myself i dont think its unreasonable for them to be asking for these things to be sorted. i live in a flat and its about 7 years old and things are just now starting to fall apart, just because you lived there and it was ok...time moves on and washers go e.t.c. Leaky radiotors vavles e.t.c are your repsonsibility...only lights bulbs and fuses have to be changed by tenants. just managed it youself...much cheaper even if you do live far away all these management companies are a rip off

I've go a flat in a small block in Sheffield that the residents have run themselves (ie no service management company).

It's worked very well but due to some changes we are looking at the possibility of having an outside company manage the block eg maintenance, collection of service charges etc.

Was wondering if anyone could recommend a company that does this locally. The only one I have any experience of is McDonald/Fairways at Meadowhead.

Thanks for any tips.

Tuns