M1 Traffic - Today (17/7/09)

Anyone know whats happening on the M1 today. Just got back and traffic was a complete nightmare in both directions, doubt its due to the weather but you never know.

Just had a look on the Jam Cams now and traffic still looks to be pretty heavy at the moment - http://www.sy-transport.co.uk/traffic/motorway_jam_cams.htm

Forgot to add it was between 32 and 35.

Looking at the cameras now, the traffic is between Cameras 8 and 24!

Any ideas as to what is going on?

When I was on my way back from work around midday, there was a crash which looked like it involved a car, which looked to be a write-off, and two lorries. Like I said, this was about midday'ish, so it's probably not whats causing all the traffic this afternoon.

Does it look any better?

Was caught in the jam northbound at around 4.30-ish. Think it was just sheer volume of traffic. They said on the radio that all motorways were expected to be bad today due to a combination of roadworks, terrible weather and schools breaking up.

Forgot to add it was between 32 and 35.
Traffic was rubbish between 42 and 34 with a jam beginning at 35. Stupid idiots hogging lanes leaving empty lanes to their left.

From 35, it's because of the roadworks to put concrete barriers and encourage accumulation of stagnating water on the highway instead of letting it filter through the current grass verges... Go figure, they didn't learn their lessons from the M18 in 2005.

I was on the M1 at around 16:30 and left at junction 34 then onto Park Hill Stevenson Road, behind the station and down Queens. The post office lights on A61209 went red as usual and there was no one as usual, I guess the guys in the traffic office were busy eating pies of doughnuts.

..........No longer a forum member

Edited by evolution200

There have been cones and restrictions on the M1 / M18 junction for a week with absolutely no work taking place! :rant::rant::rant::rant:

night-time working, were at it other week whenI went out at 2am

Yeah, seen them working at night before. That 50mph limit where the work is seems to be adhered to by everyone, which suprised myself because I can be known to put my foot down a bit! Apart from this police BMW 5 series which shot past at 100+mph, no lights or sirens, scared the sh*t out of me.

Something was going of on the roads leading to J31. The police had got the roads closed off either side of the roundabout leading to the motorway. Wonder if that had an impact (this was sometime 5.30-6ish). Took me ages to get home as everything was stacked up for miles in all directions