But seriously.. which (fighting style/MA) is the best?

the only difference between cage and ring is how you cut people off...

One has ropes, one has mesh.

One is round, one is octagonal.

You can dive through the ropes, not through the mesh.

You can climb the ropes, but not the mesh.

One has buckles in the corner, the other does not.

One has no gate, the other has a gate.

I already do kickboxing at AFK but if i did BJJ with jon goldson would that make me an incontinent MMA or UFC fighter?

I can't comment on that as I'm not too familiar with the setup.

p.s id recommend doing BJJ at the forge with John Goldson...

Is that Paul Cole's place that moved from 393 Club?

Is that Paul Cole's place that moved from 393 Club?

I heard Paul beat John up and took it off him.

To answer all the questions so far in this thread I would recomend reading Working with warriors by Dennis Martin. Well worth a read and basically suggests - as we all know anyway - that every art has + and - .....

:D

Ps If I knew how to post pictures I would have put up a pic of the front cover but this Amazon link will do for now ...... Working with Warriors

How you mean not cage vs ring argument, its a rules vs rules. Rules are defined from whether it being a cage or ring. I don't really see how wanting to open your own place would link to him not training as hard. The guy had a injured knee before griffin. He made it worse from doing the fight and was forced to have surgery on it , did the rehab and then blew it out again, and yet again did the rehab. So sayin you have to see it that he didnt have to train as hard anymore due to fame and all that I just dont agree with.

Also ring and cage difference isnt just how to cut people off (altho a huge one, cro cop is best in ring which isnt no surprise due to his years of k1) there is loads of factors otherwise there wouldn't be such defined training methods from likes of Coutour on his videos showing how to use the cage as a weapon in your arsenal, as it were.

btw is that you gregg? :P

yes it is..... who are you

and what i ment was mma rules diffine what you can and cant do (kick to the head on ground and so on)

on wether your in the cage or ring...

i agree that you use then differently, trapping in a corner standing or trapping against the fence on the floor

One has ropes, one has mesh.

One is round, one is octagonal.

You can dive through the ropes, not through the mesh.

You can climb the ropes, but not the mesh.

One has buckles in the corner, the other does not.

One has no gate, the other has a gate.

only in your mind.... my zen powers can change the material world

You can still get tko or ko by being hit in the body with punches or kicks, or head kicks, just not punches to head in karate. But yea lol I bet they hated him being kicked around by a small Chinese guy hehe

I took part in loads of Karate tournaments when I was younger and never heard of anyone being "TKO'd" though I did see loads of people completely knocked out it was never referred to as a win by KO.

For what it's worth Bruce Lee never fought in a single karate tournament as he didn't agree with them (he was one of the first to say that his techniques were too deadly to be used in competition) though he did do demonstrations at the Long Beach one. Not slating Bruce Lee as was a good coach,he was instrumental in training Joe Lewis to win his full contact title, though he never fought himself.

I took part in loads of Karate tournaments when I was younger and never heard of anyone being "TKO'd" though I did see loads of people completely knocked out it was never referred to as a win by KO.

For what it's worth Bruce Lee never fought in a single karate tournament as he didn't agree with them (he was one of the first to say that his techniques were too deadly to be used in competition) though he did do demonstrations at the Long Beach one. Not slating Bruce Lee as was a good coach,he was instrumental in training Joe Lewis to win his full contact title, though he never fought himself.

Horus tell me more about this one. About Joe Lewis winning a full contact karate title (thats what they call it in those days full contact karate) due to help from Bruce Lee? Im interested to know more.

I have also heard that Bruce Lee learned all the high flashy kicks from Chuck Norris.

Apparently Joe Lewis (who was already a points karate champion by then) was introduced to Bruce Lee who offered to help coach him for the upcoming title match. Back then fights were very much from traditional karate stances involving wars of attrition as they would just stand there and kick the hell out of each other.

Anyway Bruce taught Lewis to move a little bit more like a boxer on his toes and Lewis used it to win the fight. I'm not sure where I read it first but it's in a few articles and books (I think one is the biography Bruce Lee: Fighting Spirit). A lot of Lee's students don't like Lewis as he has always refused to give Lee much credit, after all he was very fast and powerful before Bruce taught him, Lewis always says "he taught me a few tricks" rather than anything else.

Apparently Joe Lewis (who was already a points karate champion by then) was introduced to Bruce Lee who offered to help coach him for the upcoming title match. Back then fights were very much from traditional karate stances involving wars of attrition as they would just stand there and kick the hell out of each other.

Anyway Bruce taught Lewis to move a little bit more like a boxer on his toes and Lewis used it to win the fight. I'm not sure where I read it first but it's in a few articles and books (I think one is the biography Bruce Lee: Fighting Spirit). A lot of Lee's students don't like Lewis as he has always refused to give Lee much credit, after all he was very fast and powerful before Bruce taught him, Lewis always says "he taught me a few tricks" rather than anything else.

Most interesting. However I dont think that Joe Lewis of that era would have been of the same standard of your Dennis Alexios, your Stuart Greens, your Aziz Khatous ,Rick Roufuses and Simon Dores of this world.

The sport has progressed a lot since then with more of an input from western boxing.

Are we in agreement on that one ?

Dont know ive never done kickboxing or heard of any of the fighters you mentioned