But seriously.. which (fighting style/MA) is the best?

whoooooooooooooo go go Lyoto Machida... sweep the leg johnny

shotoikari - its all in fun, nothing else

A recent study at Coventry University debated this very issue, and to prove what was most effective a study was carried out, and this took place January 2007.........the study was never completed and here is why.

There were 5 volunteers, all of which had to needed to have some sort of assualt inflicted on them and these were. It was designed to show which martial art/self defence technique would hurt the most.

Volunteer 1 - to be thrown with a Judo throw

Volunteer 2 - to be submitted by a purple belt in BJJ

Volunteer 3 - to be kicked in the testicles

Volunteer 4 - to be kicked by a kickboxer and then punched

Volunteer 5 - to be karate chopped.

Initially Volunteer 3 was unsure about taking part, however he was reassured that he would not be put in any danger. Volunteer 3, also asked for some pading, but this was refused as it could make the test null/void.

OK, with volunteer reasured, the tests began.........

Volunteer 1 - got thrown with hip throw, but got back up.

Voluteer 2 - got trangle chocked, tapped, and then got back up.

Voluteer 3 - got kicked and was down for bout 15 minutes rolling around in agony, the medics helped volunteer 3 back to his feet after 25 minutes and the test caried on.

Voluteer 4 - got kicked/punched by the kickboxer and was winded, but OK

Volunteer 5 - got karate chopped and said ouch.....

ANYWAY, the volunteers were asked to take their places again, but Volunteer 3 was complaining about feeling unwell, however he was reassured that the tests were safe.....the 2nd round of tests went ahead......

Voluteers 1 and 2 - got thrown/submitted, but got back to their feets pretty quickly.

Voluteer 3 - initially would not stand still, so was forced to lay on his back being held down by the Judo man and the BJJ man, everyone in the room was annoyed with volunteer 3 as he was spoiling the test............his legs were parted and then a kick was adminstered to his testicles.

The tests had to be aborted as one of volunteer 3's testicles were crushed, and needed to be taken to hospital...........and was violently sick in the testing room.

Although not conclusive, it looks as though a kick to the testicles could cause more pain than anything a martial artist could inflict

that was a very good post, lets take a more in depth look at this killer move

hhmm very interesting, but what if he had a knife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how would you defend that??? pull guard? sweep the leg? shoot for the take down? or a good old fashioned left hook??

what would the jkd guy do, or the karate guy? or the WTF taekwondo dude do? how about the pro wrestler with mask?? and so on who has these answers????????????????

and i'm sure that this is the best example of the ball attack

so let me get this right?? If i get kicked in the balls in a Karate comp, the ref tugs me off and rubs my bum!?!?!?

End of thread.........Karate Wins.

so let me get this right?? If i get kicked in the balls in a Karate comp, the ref tugs me off and rubs my bum!?!?!?

End of thread.........Karate Wins.

How does one qualify to be a karate ref?

There really is no argument - its quite obviously Kenny`s Kenpo Karate that is the strongest of all styles - see here:

Hello KillerBJJ, you didnt say which martial art is best for what? a street fight, self protection, competition stand up, MMA mixed with diff rules i.e cage or ring.

So really your question cant be answered.

Just a few points about your post

---

You said karate doesnt work, but alot of the techniques from various forms of karate have provided a great base to further learn and evolve.

Bass Rutten always mentions little things and tips from the Kyokushin karate he did on one of his DVD of combat series. Also people like GSP, chuck Liddel, Machida have done various forms of it.

---

Chute boxing is like Muay Thai which incorporates more of a Vale Tudo style of anything goes, you got submissions, aggressive stand up, knees, stomps, and grappling/wrestling.

---

Wrestling is a powerful skill in MMA, as it used to gain dominate positions and control your opponent. But please don't say Brock Lesnar has proved himself as the greatest MMA/UFC of all time lol. The guy has a record of 4-1...... , he didn't totally man handle a past his prime Couture, Herring took him all the way to decision, and Mir, come on hes big and slow and too much of a BJJ technician, he got mauled , technical skill was squished.

He was cut and bled vs Couture, He didn't couldn't finnish Herring, and Mir rocked him standing, in Brocks own words "I saw dicky birds for a minute".

To call him the greatest MMA of all time is a joke, when hes just a good wrestler with size and mass. If he taught all types of people small or big, he couldn't teach mixed martial arts for a start he would just be a coach for wrestling.

Also you haven't even included Sambo, which is the base martial art of the real greatest MMA of all time :D Fedor Emelianenko, he does Sambo and Judo. Although finding anyone that does it would be hard lol

---

As i said before you question cant really be answered cos its situational and of course even if it wasn't its still not a objective answer, that's why i guess there called martial arts, art is subjective.

Personally, for street fighting/self defense I think Krav Maga and other forms similar to this are the best. The moves are designed to kill or at least cripple the enemy military style as fast as possible, no messing about, strikes to groin, throat, eyes etc. They have so many different chokes too, Bass Rutten on his DVD says he trained with some Krav Maga people and if you want to know street style chokes then go to them. I also did some wingchun/Tai Chi/Kung Fu stuff in china and the strikes he did on me were always to throat and neck and groin etc. so for competition he said it was a no no. It was ok, but I wouldn't do it over stuff like Krav Maga.

For competition, I'm not sure about just standing, I guess your as good as yourself and not the style itself. Maybe Muay Thai fighters would steam roll Kwon Do fighters, maybe some might lose, it depends on the person. Bruce Lee record for Karate competitions was all wins most by TKO or KO. At the California Karate comps he won his fights and didn't even do Karate. (Yes I know there not full fights like MMA or a kickboxing match but it still is a successful form of timing and striking, Im sure Lyoto Machida would say it is very good as he did all that stuff before MMA).

For MMA, I think the best are BJJ , Wrestling and Kickboxing/Muay Thai. Ring and Cage make a lot of difference to fighters styles and also rules. I.e If you have followed Shogun Rua you'll know he won a lot of fights where by causing vast amounts of damage by knee or kicking to downed opponents heads. In a cage or at least UFC they dont allow this because the cage can act as a barrier not allowing the ease of movement to avoid such dangerous strikes. This can be seen in the fight of Mir vs Wes Sims , Sims is DQ'ed for doing it and Rogan (commentator) explains the above. So maybe I would add Chute Boxe/Vale Tudo for MMA in a ring but not cage.

Anyways that's my 2 cents :|

p.s id recommend doing BJJ at the forge with John Goldson and kickboxing under Ali Farhad (AFK).

*ramble ramble ramble*

p.s id recommend doing BJJ at the forge with John Goldson and kickboxing under Ali Farhad (AFK).

*WHOOSH!*

That`s the sound of this thread going way over your head wufu...

I`ll be sure to pass on your advice regarding choice of BJJ clubs to KillerBJJ :hihi::hihi: