Tramlines Festival 2011

If you were at the venue outside the City Hall there was plenty of movement at the front - it was manic. Loads of people 'crowd surfing' and 'moshing'. Looked like a lot of fun. I would've joined in but I'm a bit too old for those kinds of shennanigans. Not sure of the bands name I think it was a satanic sounding name.

The security guards weren't enjoying it though. Ha ha

rolo tomassi? not a satanic name, but a reference to the film 'usual suspects'. :D

they were awesome - funny as hell seeing them playing open air outside the city hall - not the usual kind of place to see such a heavy band. sure they caused a few raised eyebrows amongst the unexpected viewers.

as a new resident, i can say this weekend might finally have seen me fall in love with this city. it was great to see so many people happy.

I totally agree with those leaving positive feedback, the event was much better organised than last year and including the green room etc within the arena was a great idea. Saturday was very much a younger audience with sunday more of a chilled out older crowd but I think that reflected the music on the main stage.

The fact that it was all free was fantastic and as for the complaints about litter etc I walk through town this morning to work and (although I don't like to give the Council too much credit) a lot of clearing up had already been done.

Also the fact that venues such as the Leadmill and the Octagon were free for the weekend was well worth the queuing and any trouble makers seem to have been quickly dealt with.

Cheers for a great weekend!!

All 3 days including Friday was the best weekend I've had in a long time. The hangover and generally tiredness is at an unspeakable level this morning, but it was all worth it. The Busker Line was particularly entertaining!

An amazing weekend, the best of Sheffield both in creative output and cameradie(an incredibly friendly atmosphere) all credit to the council(not often i say that) for backing it, lets hope they do so next year in the teeth of a financial crisis. One of the great things for me was the fact it was free and that people who wouldn't normally get to hear varied music got the chance to to do so and maybe opened some minds, (Clarets comments are imo disgusting, this dehumanisation of people must stop) I mostly watched the incredible various Blues artists but caught the Tivoli, (a U2 for the 10's) The Squires, David J Roche, The Sharkes, The Bunnymen(cabaret 'ish' at first superlative towards the end, liverpool psychedelia reinvented ) sublime troubadour Louis Romegoux, (sadly leaving sheffield) garage rocksters Avida Dollars and finally a storming performance by the Violet May in the Forum that nearly turned into a mini-riot, haven't seen such raw naked uncontrolled energy and anger since the early days of Joy Divison

Edited by gamezone07

Having worked on the crew both days this weekend, I personally think Sheffield council, South Yorkshire police, City Ambassadors and the private security section worked very well together and kept very good order of the whole event. Considering there was (I believe) 7000+ people on Dev green Sat and close to that Sun plus who knows how many 1000's in other areas of Sheffield city center.

As for the comments about "chavs" etc, any city center has problems with idiots at the weekend.

Yesterday was my first time at Dev Green/Tramlines and we had a FAB time :) HIEM were fantastic, and i'm still a bit stunned that i got to see Echo & The Bunnymen for free, in the middle of town on a Sunaday evening !! Very cool :D

All 3 days including Friday was the best weekend I've had in a long time. The hangover and generally tiredness is at an unspeakable level this morning, but it was all worth it. The Busker Line was particularly entertaining!

I too had best weekend I've had in a long time. I went as far away from Sheffield as I could so I didn't have to endure a weekend of whiny indie bands, wannabe gangsta hip hop acts and a load of drunken drugged-up music fans running riot in the city centre.

I too had best weekend I've had in a long time. I went as far away from Sheffield as I could so I didn't have to endure a weekend of whiny indie bands, wannabe gangsta hip hop acts and a load of drunken drugged-up music fans running riot in the city centre.

sounds like everyone wins. perhaps you could apply this philosophy more broadly... :D

Where was that happening? In Sheffield, there was a family friendly atmosphere all weekend without even a sign of any trouble whatsoever despite alcohol being freely available.

rolo tomassi? not a satanic name, but a reference to the film 'usual suspects'. :D

they were awesome - funny as hell seeing them playing open air outside the city hall - not the usual kind of place to see such a heavy band. sure they caused a few raised eyebrows amongst the unexpected viewers.

as a new resident, i can say this weekend might finally have seen me fall in love with this city. it was great to see so many people happy.

Doesn't then name come from LA Confidential :confused:

It was a fantastic weekend...the atmosphere was buzzing in our city,the bands were all on it and passionate and for the amount of folk out on the streets and in the bars and clubs and venues supporting the diverse and varied programmes it was a 100% success...shame about 65 days of statics fire alarm nonsense at the uni but thats real life and no one got hurt...Tramlines is so important to Sheffield and for all the doubters and cynics out there, I am sorry that you feel that way..., I witnessed a special event this weekend and for all the hours i spent wandering I only saw good things...

Just to add my tuppence worth; went up to see Craig David, The Hoosiers, and Tinchy Stryder on Saturday evening after working on the web, and wasn't disappointed, in spite of having to join a slow moving queue which even at 7 pm took an hour to enter the site. Everyone was very good natured, and the police and stewards were exemplarary, so the organisers can hold their heads up high for organising a successful and trouble free event.

Such a shame to hear about the tragedy at Love Parade in the German city of Duisburg on the same day, though. I worked at Duisburg for several months back in 1996 and like any German city found it an efficiently run if rather unexciting city to live in.