I am shocked at this lhasa cross dalmation

Karis - have you tried anything else? when my partner wanted a Pug, I completly disagreed as I feel no need to buy a dog when there are thousands being ill treated and in need a a loving home out there, so we registered with the breed rescue, we waited a few months then as nothing came up we called and rang round a few of them, only to be put through to someone who had an ex-breeding bitch ready to go to a forever home, she cost me the donation of £100, no price was asked for her but I wanted to give to support the costs of her spaying ect. There is no such thing as "but it just didn't materialize!" if you want something enough you will find it and fight for it. If you search on the net you will find spacific cavalier resuces who would be happy to help you. try Dogpages forums, there are plenty of cavs on there looking for homes, ex-bredding dogs, or ill treated dogs, or even private re-homings. Why not try again???

I've had both mongrel and pedigree in the past.

I prefer pedigrees because I can trace history, health problems generations and generations back, I know what size and shape they will be and what fits best in with my family.

I just think its insane crossing such dogs purely for sale when so many are on death row each day

skinnydog - your reasons for breeding upset me a little, although I guess you are a responsible breeder theres no need to say "if people want these dogs and are willing ot pay for them, then whats that to do with us" How can you justify that remark? You're responsible for these puppies and the life in which you bring them into, yes demand if there but demand is also there for things such as prostitutes, drugs, child abuse, animal abuse, but to say we have to supply these things just because it makes us money is outrageous. whatever floats your boat to be honest.

When I see thousands of dogs a year brought in from breeding farms where they are used as machines to breed and once they reach a certain age, or don't perform as well as liked they are simpy kicked out and abandoned, no thought given to the life they will then lead! far too often these dogs are terrified of life, not knowing what a toy is for, a cuddle is, spinning in circles because they are so used to being locked away in tiny cages for years and years. It just upsets me with all the good work that people do out there that people can still justify breeding dogs for the money. greed, absolute greed, if you need extra cash for that holiday or to decorate the house, go out and get a second job or have a clear out and a car boot, your money may last a few months, a year, but these lifes will last 10+ if they are lucky.

rant not at anybody by the way, just my feelings and thoughts as reading this thread!

Why if a dog is a pedigree will you know its temprement thats just breeders conning you and themselves. Before you shot me down in flames I come from a family of breeders and grew up in a house full of dogs and though they were all related they didn't all have the same temprement, illnesses or life span!!! You could have one sister that was laid back and calm and the other (from the same litter) was overly excited and unpredictable. Dogs are like people they are all different its as simple as that. I have the same mother and father as my brother but I don't have his temper!

Plus is makes simple biological sense that adding to a dogs gene pool is healthier than breeding down narrowing breed lines, whether you do that by importing a pedigree dog or abandoning the belief that pedigree is best is personal choice.

We have rescued all the 4 dogs we have and they have always been mongrels, the last 2 more than ever they seem to have a bit of everything in them lol real heinz 57 :D

But i would never change it, i would always rescue than buy from a breeder, i just dont agree with breeding and i think the government should get off there bums and try and sort something out!

A friend of mine has a rottie x husky. So you have a huge black beast that can clear 8foot and eats anything small and furry.

a ruskie!

God I'm sick of all these designer crosses - call em mongrels and have done with it- anyone stupid enough to fork out a fortune for a cross breed must be short of a few cells when there are plenty of unwanted cross breeds (and more than a few pedigrees as well) in rescue or on the verge of being put to sleep. It's obscene.

I love my dobermutt, but when the time comes to consider another dog, I'll be considering a rescue dobe, maybe a greyhound. I certainly won't be putting money in some greedy puppy farmer's pocket .

My baby is a x breed but i didnt pay for her was given her she had been passed from home to home. No one wanted her ,when she came she would cower if you got the lead out so i think someone hit her with a lead. And she would yelp if you held her coller to put lead on infact on any contact with her coller. The people i got her off said she never shut up winging at night and was a night mare. From day one of being here she would cry to go outside for a wee with just the odd accident on lino.And she eventully esed in to the crate at night and would go straigh out for a wee in the morning when let out. She does not chew or bite and is fab with my kids. Apparently the people i got her off got her off a women who could not cope with her either. I love her to bits she is a collie cross jack russel. And i would never part with her ,and would never pay a stupid price for a cross breed dog. I was not planning on getting a dog but when i saw rosie my heart melted and i felt bad for way she had been treat so decided to give her a good home and do not regrette a thing. x

a ruskie!

God I'm sick of all these designer crosses - call em mongrels and have done with it- anyone stupid enough to fork out a fortune for a cross breed must be short of a few cells when there are plenty of unwanted cross breeds (and more than a few pedigrees as well) in rescue or on the verge of being put to sleep. It's obscene.

I love my dobermutt, but when the time comes to consider another dog, I'll be considering a rescue dobe, maybe a greyhound. I certainly won't be putting money in some greedy puppy farmer's pocket .

Not a "hottie" then? hehehehe

the Labrador-cross-Poodles do actually have a purpose. Guide dogs for the Blind charity breed these mixes, specifically for clients who may have an allergy as the poodle part of the mixture supposedly stops them shedding.

however, hey are still mongrels!

I am fully aware of the 'theory' behind the lab x poodle. A theory is not guarantee though and in actual fact there's no such thing as a non shedding dog. The cross may reduce the amount of hair shed but ot stop it. Alternatively they can go the other way and shed twice as much. There are so many lab x poodles about now bred for the wrong reasons that there is no guarantee what so ever that they won't shed!

Having a purpose doesn't stop them looking odd though.

Why if a dog is a pedigree will you know its temprement thats just breeders conning you and themselves. Before you shot me down in flames I come from a family of breeders and grew up in a house full of dogs and though they were all related they didn't all have the same temprement, illnesses or life span!!! You could have one sister that was laid back and calm and the other (from the same litter) was overly excited and unpredictable. Dogs are like people they are all different its as simple as that. I have the same mother and father as my brother but I don't have his temper!

Plus is makes simple biological sense that adding to a dogs gene pool is healthier than breeding down narrowing breed lines, whether you do that by importing a pedigree dog or abandoning the belief that pedigree is best is personal choice.

The dogs you had obviously weren't from quality lines and were probably bred to make some money by throwing any 2 dogs together and selling the pups. Responsible breeders of dogs will health check and perform temperament tests on all would be breeding dogs. All dogs have their own characters and no 2 dogs will be the same. If people breed from health checked, temperament tested dogs with a full fecord of their lineage the risk of delinquant pups is reduced. Throwing 2 dogs together and hoping for the best because it makes a cute cross name or it will make you some money is stupid.

a ruskie!

Molly happens to be a GSD, but when I talked to various rescues I didn't go looking for any breed in particular but chose instead on temperament with children and cats- she was smaller than all of the other possible medusa-hounds.

All of my animals (with the exception of the parakeet and love birds I was bought as a present) have been unwanted by someone and I fully expect that the same pattern will continue in the future. Whether that means that my next dog will be a pedigree or not is down to finding a dog with the right temperament- I would choose a total bitsa if the temperament was there.