Platform 3 and Culture Cafe closed down?

I've noticed that the Platform 3 fast food cafe/take away by the bus stop next to the railway station appears to have been closed for the last few weeks.

There is no sign in the window giving explanation, although if you look through the window there appears to be a sign at the bottom of the stairs (partly obscured by a pillar so not fully legible) saying something about them being closed from May to November.

If that is the case, then I guess it could be to do with the Spar store next door being closed for refurbishment. However, if Platform 3 has closed down permanently, then I will certainly miss their curries!

I think they had been there for about two or three years. But I was often the only customer in there, so I guess it was a case of use it or lose it! No doubt they faced competition from the other fast food take-away across the road.

I've also noticed that the Culture Cafe on Glossop Road, Broomhill has only been open rather sporadically lately. Again there is never a sign in the window giving explanation if they are closed when they should be open. They used to do very good falafels, and I will miss that too if they have closed down for good.

Shame about Platform 3; I thought their chips were great, and occasionally I had some of their other offerings; I rated them among the best 'independent' value takeaways in Sheffield and one of the very best in value for money.

I am pretty certain that the people who own the franchise for the Spar next to the Station own the abbeydale road one, which if anyone has been in recently has almost always virtually got no stock in at all.

Maybe it had something to do with the staff that it was always empty. We went there a few times when it opened. The staff were too busy chatting to their mates and also if you were in a queue to get served, they'd ignore you and serve their friends first.

Over half an hour to get a kebab once with only 2 people in front of me in the queue because they were too busy acting like fools and showing off to one another.

That was the last time I went. Won't miss it.

That Spar has been shut for at least 2 months - is it EVER going to reopen?

I never see anyone in there refurbing the place, the lights are always out, and the same ice cream display is just behind the doors.

The Platform 3/Spar premises next to the station now has a "to let" sign up, so they have now almost certainly closed down for good!

As to the Culture Cafe on Glossop Road, I went in there about a couple of months ago and they told me that they are only normally open until 7pm at the moment because of staff availability. The sign still says they are open until 9pm, but they are always closed when I go past there after 7pm.

If you are lucky enough to be in the area when they are open, I'd certainly recommend their falafels and baklavas. They do very good sandwiches and lentil soups too.

Shame about Platform 3; I thought their chips were great, and occasionally I had some of their other offerings; I rated them among the best 'independent' value takeaways in Sheffield and one of the very best in value for money.

Yes they were really good Tyranna I used to use them a lot too - their sausage and mash was good.