Retirement age should be lowered to 55yrs, so young people can get jobs

Should retirement be lowered to 55 years old, to free up jobs the young?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should retirement be lowered to 55 years old, to free up jobs the young?

• yes
    • no

From money received, paid for me by the young people in work (paid by their taxes)

Its not rocket science, the young now enjoy a non working lifesyle (not all the young - I'm talking about chavs) while people work into old age.

I just think it would be better if things were the other way round

So are you saying that the "oldies" who work aren't paying taxes?

I am paying double tax as I pay tax on my small company pension AND also pay basic rate tax and of course NI on my monthly salary. So although I am working I am paying my way and of course helping those people who are already getting a state pension.

Total tosh........unless somebody is prepared to settle our mortgage and provide us with the lifestyle that we pay for through our hard work! Anybody willing to do that then put your hands up and we will snatch them off. lol.

I doubt that you would find many people that wouldn't like to retire at 55, but it's all down to finances.

I am over the age of 55 but obviously I'm not considered "past it" yet because I have just completed an extremely lucrative 2 month "working from home" contract! I have been working on a live website alongside of an "employed" workforce of youngsters who haven't got a clue what they are doing!!! The mistakes that I have seen has left my "ghast" well and truly flabbered! These people have been supposedly "trained" as well.

I am not sorry to say that age also breeds experience and without that we are all well and truly sunk! A 20 year old cannot possibly have the same insight of a 55 year old. A 20 year old will see a 55 year old as an old stinking crock who is taking up valuable "air" space.

Thats the nature of the beast though. Young and ignorant children make such comments as "retirement age should be lowered to 55yrs". Give them 5 years or so and they will have grown up a bit and might just be thinking about considering their own mortality.

I can take the moral highground here because I have been there and done that and have the tee-shirt to prove it. lol

Rock on young-uns.......old age is coming your way anytime soon. lol.

Just so you know, the guy you quoted was being what we call "sarcastic". As in, making a joke about this whole thread.

How do you know that? Is he your dad? He might have been deadly serious. My step-granpa apparently often said they should take you out and shoot you when you became a drain on society. He died in his 60s so we never had to do it, which was nice. JB is just upping the ante.

We'd have to be shooting a helluva lot of people these days, if being a drain on society was gonna be the criterion :D

You're 38, and you want to be shot at 50? That would leave you with only 12 years to live. That's not long! You hate your life that much? *shock*

I'd gladly shoot myself at 40 if it means I don't have to listen to your constant whining for the next 35 years :roll:

x

;)

How do you know that? Is he your dad?

Don't embarrass the poor lass :hihi:

x

He might have been deadly serious. My step-granpa apparently often said they should take you out and shoot you when you became a drain on society. He died in his 60s so we never had to do it, which was nice. JB is just upping the ante.

We'd have to be shooting a helluva lot of people these days, if being a drain on society was gonna be the criterion :D

OK, so let's not shoot the over-50s, let's just withdraw medical care instead, so for instance... instead of replacing their hips at 60 only for them to require cataract treatment at 70 then cancer treatment at 80, let them die a dignified, hounourable and lonely death from the winter flu that kills thousands of 'em off every winter.

x x

I'd gladly shoot myself at 40 if it means I don't have to listen to your constant whining for the next 35 years :roll: x ;)
Go on then, do it. 35 years? I'll be dead long before then. And I'm not leaving you anything in my will either. so there! :D

A gentleman of 113 years died today and he served through 2 World Wars for this Country so that people like you could be free and enjoy all the things like Freedom, clean water, Electricity and the NHS.

Given the sorry shower who run us by proxy of the Soviet EUnion, I wonder if we'd have been better off to have joined forces with Mr Adolf Hitler instead of bombing them first... :suspect:

Well i had a good laugh::hihi: at this one.Im self employ and provide employment for others, so i retire at 55 go and enjoy myself on a sunny beach while my now debunked workforce sign on :huh:.

Retirement at 55? Bring it on!!!

Don't embarrass the poor lass :hihi:

x

OK, so let's not shoot the over-50s, let's just withdraw medical care instead, so for instance... instead of replacing their hips at 60 only for them to require cataract treatment at 70 then cancer treatment at 80, let them die a dignified, hounourable and lonely death from the winter flu that kills thousands of 'em off every winter.

x x

I dont beleive what you are saying hounourable and lonely death. Do you think a Lonely death is dignified, because I do not. The people up to 65 have paid their taxes and are entitled to their share of treatment they have paid for over 50 years.

Your concept of the elder generation is narrow minded and they have a right to the treatment available when all said they have paid for it "have you"

You've obviously never studied economics Robby, and you don't have any understanding of demographics.

I firmly beieve that everybody, including you, should be able to voice their opinions on here, but you don't seem to have even a basic grasp of the situation.

It's a global problem in the developed world, and it won't be solved by making, or encouraging, older people to retire. That's just a typical knee jerk reaction.

Read more about it please Robby, then come back so we can have an informed debate.

Try looking up 'The lump of labour fallacy' for starters.

And if people were made to retire at 55, you and your age cohort would have to pay upwards of 50% of your wages to fund their pensions.

Brilliant idea Robby.

i think retirement age should be flexable between 50 and 70

full pension should be at 70 with a lower pension for the younger age group, like such as just a little bit more than job seekers for the people in thier 50s and then between that and full pension for the people in their 60s