Appeal for Memories Of The Omega (Baldwin's) Restaurant Brincliffe

My mother and father celebrated their 25 wedding anniversary at the Omega, that would be about 1962. As l remember it was a lovely meal, followed by dancing, with live music.

I had my 21st Birthday party at the Omega in 1968.

It was an evening to remember.Fabulous food,presented beautifully and served with prowess.The buffet was a splendid sight.

Dancing to a live band made the occasion special.

We had a photographer and I often look at the photos.

I have been to many top class restaurants in most capitals around the world but the Omega beat them all.

I left Sheffield 36 years ago but I hope Mr Baldwin has a Birthday party as memorable as mine.

An Oliver Twist moment. I had the audacity to ask for another potato (all diners had had theirs counted out) and was fixed with an ice maiden stare by the waitress. Also, arguing with the maitre d'/bouncer about dress code being stereotyping of character and how my money was as good as anybody else's. The fact I was going through my Brian May phase may have influenced his decison but I'm glad I kicked off because it made him very embarassed. Pity because the food was always good (even though rationed).

Edited by Thewickerman

Dad used to make chocolates at Ridgeway Craft Centre, I remmeber he used to make them for the Omega...

He always told a story about how 1 diner asked for salt to be added to the meal and the chef came out to put him straight.........!!!

Is it too late to start a campaign to get the Baldwins back to the Anglers Polly?

I would like to thank you all for your posts! All very amusing please keep them coming in and if anyone has any photographs we would love to see them you can send them to

Polly A Baldwin

Baldwins Omega

Brincliffe Hill

Off Psalter Lane

Sheffield

S11 9DF

Thanks again for you time!!

My old pal David Baldwin 5 months separating us at birth. Where do I begin - he always called at our house in Clarence Street and we would walk to school (Springfield) together. On one occasion I recall, he came in "plonked" himself onto our settee, my father positioned at the other end shot up in the air, the settee collapsed, and the arm fell off!!! As money was tight my mother (Ethel - bless her) never forgave him although she eventually worked alongside David @ Harry Hopkinsons's fish and chip shop/cafe on Rockingham Street, but whenever Davids name was mentioned (as it was frequently) she always piped up "Yes he broke my settee".

Our class was not the most conformative so concessions were hard to come by, I remember on one occasion we were lucky enough to be chosen to attend the City Hall for a Philharmonic Orchestra concert, ten minutes into the performance David fell asleep, snored so loudly that those close by couldn't hear a thing, a clip round the ear from the headmaster resulting in fits of laughter from the rest of us - and we were never invited again. Another occasion four of us David, Stuart, myself and another (who's name I regret escapes me) were invited to spend a day on one of our teachers boat on a river (near Retford I think) we took it in turns to steer the thing, - David's turn - he got all the intructions wrong nearly capsized the boat and almost drowned - another concession not repeated.

An english lesson - we had pen and paper at the ready the teacher told us to write an essay on the game of cricket - David's contribution - RAIN STOPS PLAY.

Caning became almost a weekly ritual in the headmasters office where we would line up put our hands out and David (who was always a giant of a man) would outstretch his from shoulder height, now the deputy head was only 5Ft nothing and had to jump up and down to reach his hand this resulted in the rest of us unable to contain our hilarity subsequently received double the dose.

We had no sportsfield or running track at Springfield so our preparation for the inter-city schools sports day was running round the streets of Broomhall traffic permitting, but we were proud to bring a trophy or two back each year for the old school cabinet.We both left with no qualifications but have both had quality lives.

My wife Kay will always be indebted to him for in 1968 we became licensees of the newly opened "Golden Ball" on Campo Lane, she was daunted at her new role in life but David took time out from his busy life as a licensee himself to guide her in the fundamental requirements of pub catering.

In the early 70's we were on holiday in Majorca and after an evening out we were walking in the pitch black from Magaluf to Palma (no hotel or street lights then) when we became aware of headlights approaching from behind, a small 'FIAT 500' pulled alongside and who was sardined behind the steering wheel - David - yelling "NOW THEN WALKER I'D KNOW THAT ....... WALK ANYWHERE GET IN".

In the mid 80's he was instrumental in me becoming Steward at the South Yorkshire Police sports & social club (Niagara) from where I retired after 23 years.

We were at his 50th and in his welcoming address to each table he came to ours, where seated was our old PE master - Peter Price (unfortunately now deceased) who was lucky to still have a head of thick dark brown hair, David's remark to him was "WELCOME PETER I THOUGHT YOU WOULD HAVE HAD THE ....... DECENCY TO GO GREY".

We were at his 60th but an ill-timed, pre-planned holiday prevents us from being at his 70th - we are gutted, but wish him a super bash with many happy returns, and hope to have a more modest celebration with him and Pauline at some stage, where the tariff is definitely on us.

A GREAT GUY - A GREAT PAL - We love him to bits and God willing we'll get together for the 80th, although wheelchair access maybe required!!!

So "THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES" and continue to do it "MY WAY."

Thanks to Mick Lee for notifying me of the Sheffield Forum Website. Derrick.

great post Dekay!

The Baldwin's site was an old quarry and the Bluecotes school was nearby. Does anybody have any info on these, and also, where exactly was the school?

Polly

I have a copy of the 1969/70 Good Food Guide edited, in those days, by Raymond Postgate, with an entry for The Omega. If you are interested, PM me your e-mail address and I will copy and send to you. I also remember attending a 21st Birthday Dinner in 1975 and more recently, an excellent Summer bash, ladies included!!!!!, for Sheffield Metal Club.

We were sent to "Baldwins" the morning after the blitz ,as there was an unexploded bomb near our hose in Nether Edge. It was then Brincliffe tennis Club.

The Blue nCoat Schoool was just below the turning into Quarry lane

thanks for these memories - we could do with some more info on Brincliffe tennis club and also the model railway that was on the Baldwin Omega site - possibly it was the Sheffield and District Society of Model and Experimental Engineers Ltd which is now in Ecclesall Woods. Any memories gratefully received