Appeal for Memories Of The Omega (Baldwin's) Restaurant Brincliffe

We are compiling a history book of Baldwin's omega from when it was part of the brincliffe estate to present day. Do you have memories of the building or any useful information or photographs from the past. The building has been a fashionable restaurant sine 1960's and before this a tennis club and a school any information or stories from any time in the history will be really appreciated.

Thanks I look forward to hearing your tales

Polly Baldwin

what an institution! There must be more people who have had their wedding receptions there than anywhere else. Isn't it famous for after dinner speakers as well?

Baldwins use to have the most fantastic Salmon and Strawberry evenings. Went several times for these with members of the Sheffield Keep Fit!! They also had Hawaiin evenings too. The discos were great.

The thing I remember about ,other than the fabulous food,was the Gents had a glass screen across the urinal to stop you peeing on your shoes.1st time i'd ever seen that.

In the 1990's when I last went to Baldwins before I left Sheffield, I remember that inside the entrance area were a selection of George Cunningham pictures. I particularly remember these as George was a neighbour of ours and I have a couple of his prints on my wall.

Baldwins has always been very well known for it's fabulous food! We have our company Christmas 'bash' there, it never ceases to amaze me, so many diners yet the food is always piping hot and well served. Well done the Baldwins you are certainly amongst the best in the city.

My mother was a member of the Brincliffe Tennis Club in the 1930's. The building that is now Baldwin's was the Club House and the venue for many social events. Dances were very popular events with the girls in the flapper dresses of the time. Formal dinner dances were held with the men wearing dress suits. Apparently, I expect much to Mrs. Baldwin's disgust, all the catering was supplied by Messrs Fretwell Downing.

keep your memories coming this is going to be a great book to celebrate Dave Baldwin's 70th birthday!

keep your memories coming this is going to be a great book to celebrate Dave Baldwin's 70th birthday!

Yes I suppose he will be, I remember him managing the Capri fish and chip cafe behind Atkinsons. He had a spell at The Anglers Rest in Bamford, had the catering contract at Hillsborough, developed the Sheaf View, had another pub in Attercliffe, he's been a very busy lad has David.

If you get the opportunity get him to relate the time that he was charged and tried for rape in South Africa. All that happened is David and some of his Merchant Navy chums got a poker school going in a hotel bedroom, and hired a middle aged Zulu woman to serve the food and pour the drinks. As soon as 12-00 pm struck the door was kicked open and they all were arrested and charged with rape for having a black woman in their room after midnight, it was classed as something like statutory rape.

Their lawyer, who got them off, was none other than Sir Harley Shawcross who went on to be Attorney General. I can recall David saying, "I don't want to be funny, but have you ever seen a bloody middle aged Zulu woman"? :hihi:

hiya

is this the same david baldwin who had the wheatsheaf,if it is,l the last time i saw david was on tv, when a sheffield wednesday manager was in trouble as regards who he had bought. i think it was danny williams, also the david i knew had an older brother peter and lived on broomhall st, and went to springfield school, and i remember he was quite a good swimmer b/s, he was a good mate of derek walker i was in the class two years above him at school and lived on bath street, the thing is if it is him hiya david if not, sorry...

Edited by willybite

I was a poshish "do" at Baldwins. The place was packed, David came storming out of the kitchens in his whites and shouted at the waitresses to get ******* moving as there was food going cold, dozens of women started to scuttle back to the kitchen, to show how much of a tyrant he was one old lady hit him on the shoulder as she walked past him and told him not to swear.

Later David came around every table accompanied by some of the ladies who were carrying bottles of wine, he gave everyone in the room a drink, apologised for his language, as he walked past our all male party he looked over and said, as much to himself as us, "*******staff!

I am sad to here that he will shortly be 70, age catches up on us and although I know he will keep going as long as possible, who will replace him when he goes?

A good man, who has kept good table. Long may he reign.

I think he has always been know for his ,er, 'flowery' language!! Does anybody know if he is the same David Baldwin who was a chef at Nether Edge Hospital in the 70's?