Your Memories of Oughtibridge

I was born in Oughtibridge in 1971 and lived there until 2001 ,and saw the village grow from a small hamlet into a large village.

i went to Oughtibridge infants and junior schools ,went to the village youth club on Church street and drank in the local pubs in my 30 years in the village .

Although the village is growing every year ,my memories of a small ,friendly community remain .

I used to live Near popular close when i was a baby

Love it though

Sadly Oughtibridge has been over-developed. Little remains of the village community - it's become just another impersonal dormitory suburb.

Just about every garden has had a house or little apartment block built on it.

I was born in Stocksbridge, moved to Stockarth Lane when I was 12 which wasnt quite Oughtibridge but post code was Oughtibridge. I also have happy memories of Oughtibridge. I used to work in the Travellers Rest in the 1960"s when Esme & Henry? were the landlord & landlady there. I knew Lewis from the papershop remember fondly a pal of mine Barry Guy, also an ex who I believe died in a car accident John Mackay. I spent hours on Jawbone Hill at Hills farm. I sued to get my hair done at the hairdressers in Oughtibridge(was it Muriels) I remeber another mate who used to drink in the Travellers called Stan who lived in the houses on the main Rd just along from the paper shop where Ken Sylvia & Lewis lived. We also used to dink in the other pubs(not much else to do in Oughtibridge in the 60"s haha) I later worked at the Blue Ball at Wharncliffe Side. My local though was the Middlewood Tavern which back then was a really popular little pub & was run by Jack & Mary Joyce.

So many many happy memories there. Sorry to hear its not like it used to be.

I was back in the UK in 2001 & was surprised to see even the changes to Stockarth Lane area. I also worked at Middlewood hospital (who didnt) It was either Fox's Dixons paper mill or Middlewood hospital for almost everyone back then wasnt it?

Now just about all those places are gone too I understand....how sad.

I live close to the Middlewood Tavern - still a going concern

My dad's family lived in oughtibridge pre/post 1920's

I used to visit my Uncle Harry Timmins who lived on Officers Row in Oughtibridge.

They had gas lighting and a long garden down to the road.

They worked as vergers at the church and Harry was the secretary of the Oughtibridge Silver Prize Band.

These were happy times for me as a kid.

Does anyone recall the Timmins family in Oughtibridge?

PopT

I lived there most of my life, and left in 2003 when I left my husband. It used to be a very lovely village (but everyone knew your business), then people came from knowwhere and you don't know anyone now. I now live at the top of Stocksbridge near Bolsterstone, and really love it. I personally would not go back to Oughtibridge (even my parents moved out), you could not do anything without anyone knowing about it.

But had some good childhood memories.

Would that be Stonemoor Road by any chance

Would that be Stonemoor Road by any chance

No!!!!!!!!

Oh Sorry. I know some people who live up there