Down Broadway, High Street

In 1971 or 72 I saw members of Yes (Chris Squire, Jon Anderson and Bill Bruford)walking up and down the High St obviously looking for someplace. The someplace turned out to be Down Broadway where they'd played before they became famous. I pointed out where it had been and gave them a potted history before we parted- me to work and them to the City Hall. I also remember seeing Jethro Tull and Johnny Johnsons Bandwagon at Down Broadway, and hearing Get Back played for the first time. It was also the place where I picked up (as opposed going out with someone I was already acquainted with) my first girlfriend only to be dumped when she discovered I hadn't got a scooter! Happy days!

It could have been a Sunday so so long ago.

I too went to the MOJO more then Broadway it was good but we will never have anything to equal the MOJO sorry for all those people who never got a chance to experience it.

Never went to Cinderellas tried the Penthouse a couple of times but not for me.

Yes it was a Sunday that Billy Stewart played the Broadway! Two reasons. Big name artists & groups were cheaper to book on Sundays, and yes it was the same day that Junior Walker and ther All Stars played the Broken Wheel.

I had real dilemma that day. Junior or Billy. Didn't have a car so couldnt do both. Went to see Junior at the Wheel who was a blast! Sad to miss Billy though. With some of his band dying with him that sound was gone forever.

Suppose I was lucky then saw Billy at Broadway and Jnr at The Twisted Wheel in Manchester yes he was a blast as you said.

I used to go to DB for the Monday progressive nights,in fact I was the (world's worst) DJ there,Peter S not knowing what to play.It was fun and I got to see a lot of good bands for free.As was mentioned earlier it was a very small place so they couldn't pull the money in to pay any established bands.But some bands who were just getting known played there.Everybody seems to know that Yes played there but I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Jethro Tull.Also the Village featuring organ whizz kid Peter Bardens and later Elvis Costello bassist Bruce Thomas,Woody Kern from Nottingham one of whom was to be in the first version of Roxy Music,and Union Blues from London whose vocalist Nick Payn switched to sax and is currently with Bill Wyman having previously been with Gary Moore and Chas and Dave among many others.Of the local bands there were Shape of the Rain,Pharmaceutical Earthmover and possibly McCloskey's Apocalypse.Also,John Peel came one night and played all sorts of goodies.Incidentally,Fleetwwod Mac never played at either DB or the Mojo but their component members would have played at the latter.

Hi Sirglyn,

Just out of curiosity, what was your real, or DJ name then?

Does anyone remember when DB tried to introduce a classical music night? I went with my then boyfriend and we were interviewed by the Star. We enjoyed it but didn`t go again (can`t remember why not) and I don`t think the idea took off.

.Incidentally,Fleetwwod Mac never played at either DB or the Mojo but their component members would have played at the latter.

Sorry, it was Chicken Shack that played there before they went to America and became Fleetwood Mac

Hi pfn,my name is Glyn Senior,maybe we met.Also,sorry Tommo,Chicken Shack didn't play there either although they were advertised.I'd met their guitarist Stan Webb in London a few days before and he introduced me to his manager Harry Simmmonds who told me he was pulling all his acts from DB.The ostensible reason was that the Stringfellows were messing them around regarding scheduling but the real reason was probably money.Anyway,I had the terrible task of giving the brothers the bad news which resulted in me getting talking to Peter about progressive music and Peter asking me to DJ on Mondays.I think he was more interested in me bringing my record collection than in my dubious microphone skills.He did,however,credit me with introducing him to what he called 'the new music' and we always got on very well.I remember he was very impressed by the Charles Lloyd Quartet.

Hi Sirglyn,

Your name is certainly familar, maybe we did meet. I used to go the Broadway fairly regularly. Interesting what you say about Peter Stringfellow and 'new music'. We were talking a bit about this last weekend when he came up for my book signing. At the Mojo, Peter was well OK with the soul & blue beat sounds, but by 67 was sometimes guessing a bit when it came to the likes of booking say Pink Floyd (booked on the strength of their single Arnold Lane, when of course their Mojo gig was all Interstellar Overdrive type material with a light show!) or Jimi Hendrix (who he advertised as the weirdo from NY and spelt his name Jimmie!) But overall he did fairly well and played a good selection of 'hippie type sounds and US west coast stuff like Love and the Doors.

But he said by the time of the Broadway the music scene was diversifying quite a lot, and he wasnt always sure what would go down well on a particular night. I suppose trying to have different sorts of music on different nights didnt help either!

BTW Peter did play the occasional classical music track up at the Mojo.

or Jimi Hendrix (who he advertised as the weirdo from NY and spelt his name Jimmie!)

BTW Peter did play the occasional classical music track up at the Mojo.

The Ad in the Star was for Jimmie Hendricks but in January 1967 he was not the household name he is today.

The only time I recall classical music being played was the 1812 overture as The Move took the stage to play "Night of Fear". If you were there an earth shattering moment as Sheffield was exposed to this new heavy music from Birmingham for the first time. The modern music press say the Kinks were the first heavy metal band but we know different. Still sends shivers down my spine when I think of that night.

Andyman

It's All Too Beautiful

[i used to go down broadway with my mate we used to love the music and would practise a new dance routine all week till we went there thursday nights.Iremember I used to fancy the guy who worked behind the counter selling soft drinks ect

The good old days they were a good crowd who went there,I met my huband there(Andrew Boyes)we have been married 33 years and have 2 lads

Clare