Thieving from city centre fountain -Couldn't believe my eyes

As I was going through Barkers Pool this morning, I was astounded to see a group of low-lives, who were fishing, out of the fountains, the change that people had thrown in for charity.

:o:rant:

I just could not believe how low some folks will stoop. Theivery at its lowest.

(and no, it wasn't the authorised collectors, in case anyone was wondering!)

I bet when you started this thread seven years ago you never imagined people would still be arguing on it now.

It is theft isn't it ?

Pure and simple.

However it appears that there are some people who think it is okay to help themselves to the money in the fountain.

Now it is time for SCC to put up a sign to inform those who don't know any better that the money in the fountain IS given for charity and they really shouldn't take anything that doesn't belong to them - just to spell it out to those who have no morals and absolutely no idea how to behave in a civilised society.

:huh:

Is it OK for me to say that it'd have to be a BIG sign...

... given the number of foreign languages that it would have to be written in? :suspect:

And put one of these non stop audio warnings sayin "be careful do not enter the fountain, all fountain change is for charity".

It is like parking, if the road is not marked and signs are up the ticket is not valid.

And put one of these non stop audio warnings sayin "be careful do not enter the fountain, all fountain change is for charity".

It is like parking, if the road is not marked and signs are up the ticket is not valid.

It's nothing like parking ... it's theft.

If I left my wallet in plain view in the car I would consider it my own negligence and stupidity if it were taken. Why? Because I have been educated on how to responsibly keep that money in a safe place.

Is this just a way of avoiding admitting that it's theft. (That's rhetorical by the way).

Just been to the fountains and did not see any signs anywhere, not even a sign telling people to stay out of the fountain. All streets in Sheffield have clear instructions on parking laws, should not be difficult to instruct people near the fountain on any laws but they don't.

Did you see any signs saying "don't murder people here"? Does that make it okay, if there isn't a sign?

It is a free world and everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.

Every idiot can have an opinion, you're correct.

You would like to correct me and tell me I am wrong. I fully agree with you that the change taking is something we prefer not to happen and I also would rather see the money go to charity. But if someone takes it I blame shortcomings in society, not the person who takes it.

It's theft, plain and simple, no matter what twisting you do.

---------- Post added 25-07-2016 at 20:49 ----------

No. They don't.

West Mercia Police said they were investigating the incident. ‘We are trying to identify the two men pictured,’ a spokesman said.

You think they just wanted to have a chat do you? :huh:

---------- Post added 25-07-2016 at 20:49 ----------

And what did they have to say about the legality of helping oneself?

Why would they even have to say anything.

Taking something which you don't own is theft. That's what the law says. :roll:

---------- Post added 25-07-2016 at 20:50 ----------

No, it's nothing like parking.

I don't have a sign up saying "don't steal from this house", but it's still theft if you do.

It's like some of you people live in an alternate universe. :confused:

Common decency seems to be a thing of the past :(

Like I said cyclone, why don't you just donate by sending a cheque or put it in a proper box or send text to donate number.

You are getting all worked up and the solution is so simple.

I agree with you that theft or murder are not wanted but when you put money openly in a public place and get upset when it is gone I can only recommend you take a coarse on how to use money safely.

Dutch - you just don't get it do you ?

Dutch - you just don't get it do you ?

No I don't. I was always taught that if you forget to lock your bicycle it is your own fault it is gone.

Regardless of our distaste of the taking of these coins, the legality of the situation is far from as simple as people would like to believe.

Theft by finding is an offense but there are plenty of defenses that preclude prosecution

The impossibility of identifying an owner by reasonable means is one example.

A belief that you were allowed to take the item is another.

There are many reports of police investigating and questioning, but I have yet to find a case reaching court or a conviction.

As more of these occurrences arise, the need for clear policies and signs becomes more essential.

Rome actually had to create their version of a bye-law before they could start to prosecute the takers of coins from the Trevi Fountain.

If people want to give their money to a charity then throwing it into a fountain seems a stupid way to do it.

No I don't. I was always taught that if you forget to lock your bicycle it is your own fault it is gone.

So it's always the victims fault in your world.

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 07:39 ----------

Like I said cyclone, why don't you just donate by sending a cheque or put it in a proper box or send text to donate number.

You are getting all worked up and the solution is so simple.

I agree with you that theft or murder are not wanted but when you put money openly in a public place and get upset when it is gone I can only recommend you take a coarse on how to use money safely.

You claimed it wasn't illegal because there wasn't a sign saying it was.

Have you changed your mind?

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 07:41 ----------

Regardless of our distaste of the taking of these coins, the legality of the situation is far from as simple as people would like to believe.

Theft by finding is an offense but there are plenty of defenses that preclude prosecution

The impossibility of identifying an owner by reasonable means is one example.

A belief that you were allowed to take the item is another.

There are many reports of police investigating and questioning, but I have yet to find a case reaching court or a conviction.

As more of these occurrences arise, the need for clear policies and signs becomes more essential.

Rome actually had to create their version of a bye-law before they could start to prosecute the takers of coins from the Trevi Fountain.

For it to be "theft by finding" and not just theft, the coins would have to be lost or abandoned, they are neither. They're in a known location where they will be retrieved for charity.

You might as well claim that it's theft by finding if you sneak someones mobile phone off the table in front of them.

Edited by Cyclone