Thieving from city centre fountain -Couldn't believe my eyes

Is there a notice then that states which charities the money goes to?

"People in support of the council xmas party"

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

The council drain the fountain every year for maintenance and give the coins to charity.

I think everyone knows that its not acceptable to help yourself.

Its generally a kids thing to make a wish, what gives anyone the right to just help themselves.

I didn't know that, do you have a link to any evidence?

I think it is perfectly acceptable to pick coins up in public. If people were aware it was for charity then possibly there is a moral issue (although morals are only for those that can afford them)

That link doesn't say the coins in the fountain go to the fund.

Moreover, if the person who chucks the coin in the fountain is unaware that it will go to charity, then they aren't really gifting the cash to charity, so nothing I being taken from the charity.

Im a little bit surprised that this is even being debated on Sheffield Forum.

I thought that everyone knew that taking coins from a public fountain is wrong.

Most fountains like the Trevi in Rome routinely remove to coins and often the money is used to maintain the fountain. So in a sense, it is a revenue generating device and as such, if you remove something from it, you would be stealing someone else's money.

Edited by SkylinePhoto

Im a little bit surprised that this is even being debated on Sheffield Forum.

I thought that everyone knew that taking coins from a public fountain is wrong.

Most fountains like the Trevi in Rome routinely remove to coins and often the money is used to maintain the fountain. So in a sense, it is a revenue generating device and as such, if you remove something from it, you would be stealing someone else's money.

I'm surprised that you're surprised!

You're still a newbie but hang in there and you'll see how something that the majority of folk frown upon will be defended by some of the minority of folk on here :)

Disgusting behaviour, do you thing these people researched if it goes to charity before taking for themselves? Of course not, any whether it does or not does not change my opinion of these people. There is plenty of ways for people to earn money without sinking to these stunts.

Disgusting behaviour, do you thing these people researched if it goes to charity before taking for themselves? Of course not, any whether it does or not does not change my opinion of these people. There is plenty of ways for people to earn money without sinking to these stunts.

Does it go to charity? No one has given evidence of this yet.

Does it go to charity? No one has given evidence of this yet.

Yes it does - just take those who know's word for it - why the obsession with a link being provided ?

---------- Post added 22-07-2016 at 14:00 ----------

It is disgusting behaviour and anyone challenging those stealing this money is to be applauded.

---------- Post added 22-07-2016 at 14:02 ----------

That link doesn't say the coins in the fountain go to the fund.

Moreover, if the person who chucks the coin in the fountain is unaware that it will go to charity, then they aren't really gifting the cash to charity, so nothing I being taken from the charity.

I really thought that everyone knew that money thrown into fountains was used for good deeds - I am genuinely very surprised.

Instead of ranting on about whether or not the money in the fountains

is donated to the Lord Mayors charities why not go

to the person who should know.

Lord Mayor's Office

Town Hall

Sheffield

S1 2HH

Yes it does - just take those who know's word for it - why the obsession with a link being provided ?

---------- Post added 22-07-2016 at 14:00 ----------

It is disgusting behaviour and anyone challenging those stealing this money is to be applauded.

---------- Post added 22-07-2016 at 14:02 ----------

I really thought that everyone knew that money thrown into fountains was used for good deeds - I am genuinely very surprised.

I asked for a link because a brief Google search has been fruitless and there is no signs on the fountains to advise that they are effectively charity collection tins.

Is the money being stolen is it is abandoned? (as opposed to dropped whereby the theft by finding rule applies).

So you think that every fountain is a collection tin? I think you will find that it differs from fountain to fountain. There are a couple in my home town and the sign on the side says the money is kept by the council.