Thieving from city centre fountain -Couldn't believe my eyes

As I was going through Barkers Pool this morning, I was astounded to see a group of low-lives, who were fishing, out of the fountains, the change that people had thrown in for charity.

:o:rant:

I just could not believe how low some folks will stoop. Theivery at its lowest.

(and no, it wasn't the authorised collectors, in case anyone was wondering!)

Desperation comes in many guises. It's usually just copper in those fountains. To get cold and wet to pick up a few coins suggests someone who really really needed the money. Were there no Ambassadors or Barkers Pool security knocking around?

Does the money thrown into these fountains go to charity?

I used to walk past these and was surprised I never saw the tramps or buskers trying to steal the money, never know it went to charity though!

Not as far as I'm aware. Why do people throw stuff into any old fountain anyways?

Not as far as I'm aware. Why do people throw stuff into any old fountain anyways?

For good luck of course :hihi:

Only thing I could think of is good luck or something like a wishing well perhaps?

Not AFAIk, so in a weird way the poeple taking out the money are in actual fact helping to clean up other people's littering :hihi:

As I was going through Barkers Pool this morning, I was astounded to see a group of low-lives, who were fishing, out of the fountains, the change that people had thrown in for charity.

:o:rant:

I just could not believe how low some folks will stoop. Theivery at its lowest.

(and no, it wasn't the authorised collectors, in case anyone was wondering!)

The fountains do not collect for charity, otherwise they need a sign to tell you which charity the money goes too. It’s a tradition many people still follow to make a wish or to gain good fortune.

I assume the money is eventually donated to charity, but they does not make them official charity collections.

Doesn’t stop this being a bit low though. Did you report them to one of the patrolling police or city ambassadors?

Aw come on folks, the people that were taking the money out of the fountains probably needed it for booze or drugs. At least while they are depriving the council workers from pocketing the money they are not mugging people.. FGS its pennies not the great train robbery..

Whilst we are at it, when I lived in Calver I used to know the guy that emptied Monpessons well at Eyam. He emptied it only bi monthly and usually got between £100 and £200 a time. Guess where that money went ?? Down his neck at the local pub.. Not one penny went to charity..:rant:;)

Why do people throw stuff into any old fountain anyways?

Because they are morons.

It's probably breaking no law - the money has, in effect, been abandoned, so it's free to be picked up by anyone.