School trip rip off what do you think??

just for big trips, my lads off to Austria in feb skiing, £670, keep paying a bit each month.

A sensible post. Could only be posted by a reasonable person.

How rare it seems these days.

my son goes to an infants school and hes going to sherwood forest on an outing with the whole school , the head reckons the bus is going to cost £866 plus insurance and she wants all the parents to pay for it , is this right because in my day the school or gov payed for things like this , my freind at the school has got 3 kids so shes got 3 lots to pay for:huh:

How many kids are in the whole school? 866 plus insurance is a pointless figure, when no figures are posted of the number of people, to average out the cost.

edit. apologies jamesey, I've seen the later post of 11.50, meaning around 75 kids.

Sounds fair to me, and a reasonable price, especially including insurance. If someone has 3 kids, they should be used to spending more. As far as I can remember my Mum paid for trips that my brother and I went on. :)

Edited by *_ash_*

my son goes to an infants school and hes going to sherwood forest on an outing with the whole school , the head reckons the bus is going to cost £866 plus insurance and she wants all the parents to pay for it , is this right because in my day the school or gov payed for things like this , my freind at the school has got 3 kids so shes got 3 lots to pay for:huh:

The price of £866 plus insurance is quite unbelievable. The real cost for this should be in the region of £250 - £300 plus insurance. The school needs to get a grip on its costings.

The price of £866 plus insurance is quite unbelievable. The real cost for this should be in the region of £250 - £300 plus insurance. The school needs to get a grip on its costings.

You mean for transport?

What about if food is included, or activities.

£18.50 for a trip to the deep the other day for my child. I didn't have it, but luckily my dad paid, wouldn't want her to feel left out. I looked at the price it would of cost me to take her though and it was way more.

My daughter went on a 2 day adventure break recently,

to Robinwood,that was above £100, but we could send

money in when we wanted.

Well my daughter came home saying she wants to go to France next year for 450 quid for 4 days, ermmm.......Do these people at School realise that most people are hard up with the recent economic climate?

Anyway she's not going to Paris, 9 quid for a coffee etc, she would need another 400 for spending, teachers must be well off eh...

transport, subsistence and accomodation on school trips is chargeable, the school has to absorb the costs of additional staffing ( which for some junior schools and most middle and secondary schools can be substantial - and for infant schools may include paying extra for for classroom assistants and other ancillary staff).

the trips my daughter has been on, i went with them, there must have been about 10 adults, staff and parents and none of us had to pay, adults usually get free entry ect to places when they are with a school group.

The coach is not just hired for the journey. They wait for the day. This is actually a pretty reasonable quote for a coach that size.

The prices quoted for the coach I presume will not just be for one coach/bus..if the whole school is going on the trip then all the kids aint gonna get on one vehicle are they..so they will have to send however many coaches/buses to accomodate all the kids/teachers/parents etc...and the price is charged per coach/bus..so thats why it will sound so expensive to you...I know cos my hubby is a coach driver....he has also done the school trips when the kids go to stay over at various places...and the teachers have an absolute ball...so as for them having to give their time up from their families etc etc is a load of old tosh...sorry...my hubby has come back from such trips and said thank goodness our kids are now grown up and not at school wanting to go on these trips...the teachers have no control at all over the kids...even the younger kids... the kids are allowed to wander into the nearest villages to the local chippy or loacal shop without supervision..some of these kids have only been 9/10yrs old...and this also applies to the uk and abroad..the teachers are up majority of the night drinking....and thats everynight the trip is away...its really opened my hubbys eyes....and other drivers too who we have spoken too have witnessed similar things like this...so dont feel sorry for the teachers...mind you after saying that...suppose not all schools are the same....but every one my hubby has done so far have been.....but like I said earlier.. prob not all schools operate like the ones hubby has done...

I think the prices for school trips is ridiculous - My son came home with a letter for a trip to a castle the other day - £11.50 - the entrance price for him to get into the caslte was only £2.00 when I checked it on the internet.

I know there is a choice of whether you want them to go on these trips or not - but I find if you say no to them going the teachers get very funny about it and try to force you to let them go.

I think the prices for school trips is ridiculous - My son came home with a letter for a trip to a castle the other day - £11.50 - the entrance price for him to get into the caslte was only £2.00 when I checked it on the internet.

I know there is a choice of whether you want them to go on these trips or not - but I find if you say no to them going the teachers get very funny about it and try to force you to let them go.

Keep your son off the trip and take him to the castle yourself - only £2 entrance fee ? - it would be a cheap day out............wouldn't it???

Edited by Daven

The coach is not just hired for the journey. They wait for the day. This is actually a pretty reasonable quote for a coach that size.

No it is not, it is very unreasonable. They need to shop around.