Artist Kenneth Steel

I'd be interested to know if any one has found anything more about this artist, particularly any family connections. He produced a superb render of the Electricity substation on Moore St Roundabout, we think in about 1964, or certainly before or around about the time it was built. On behalf of the current holder of this original drawing, and with the consent of the Architects, we are planning to produce limited edition hand pulled screen prints of the image, and would like to involve genuine interested parties before doing so, if possible.

He was not only a fine artist in watercolour and oils but also did architectural perspective drawings for various architects - Husband & Co in Sheffield amongst them

I have traced copyright so get in touch please

See separate notice with email address - please contact

Thanks

Jamir15

I'd be interested to know if any one has found anything more about this artist, particularly any family connections. He produced a superb render of the Electricity substation on Moore St Roundabout, we think in about 1964, or certainly before or around about the time it was built. On behalf of the current holder of this original drawing, and with the consent of the Architects, we are planning to produce limited edition hand pulled screen prints of the image, and would like to involve genuine interested parties before doing so, if possible.

Hi

If you could let us see a copy of the painting and give us an approximate size and cost (a PM would be fine) I will let you know if I am interested, I have only recently painted the same substation myself.

Cheers

I have a watercolour by Kenneth Steel entitled "Evening Calm". Do you know if any of his work is exhibited in Sheffield as I'd be intereted to see it? I understand he exhibited at theRoyal Academy during his career.

Hi

I am looking for information on the Sheffield artist, Kenneth Steel, I have found the limited information below, but would be greatfull for anything else.

Painter in watercolour, engraver & lithographer of landscapes & street scenes; poster designer. Born Sheffield 9/7/1906, son of G.T.Steel, an artist and silver engraver. Studied at Sheffield College of Art under Anthony Betts. Represented in several public collections. Achieved a prolific output of artwork for the railways. Based in Crookes, Sheffield for years. Produced posters for LNER & BR.

Produced artwork for LNER Post-War, LMR Railway Architecture, Scottish Region series.

I have a watercolour by Kenneth Steel entitled "Evening Calm". Do you know if any of his work is exhibited in Sheffield as I'd be intereted to see it? I understand he exhibited at the Royal Academy during his career.

Hi Mamapat3,

He did exhibit his works in Sheffield in the 1930's and also elsewhere of course. If you email me an image of your watercolour to edwardyardley@btinternet.com with details I will tell you if it is one my list.

Thanks

Jamir15

A brief article on Kenneth and his older brother George at

http://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield3/kennethsteel.htm

Hi

Does anyone out there have the following missing early line engraving prints by Kenneth Steel

THE COURT - approx size unknown small upright shows rear of Albert Hall Sheffield

DERBYSHIRE LEAD MINE - approx size of image 152x193 mm

THE VILLAGE - approx size of image 126x278 mm

Please contact me edwardyardley@btinternet.com

Thanks

Jamir15

Edited by jamir15
change in info

Hi there,

Someone asked about the series of oil paintings of Sheffield factories which Kenneth Steel produced in the 1960's. They were quite unlike anything he had done previously and I recall him being excited at the prospect. They were commissioned by my uncle, Richard Smith on behalf of the Davy-Ashmore Steel Company and were done in their rolling mill sheds at Darnall, over a period of months. They were painted at night and, from what I remember, as I only saw a couple of the paintings, in Kenneth's studio, were dramatic and impressionistic - vivid splashes of vermillion and orange against a background of black and purple. My uncle was i/c publicity & public relations at the time and I think these paintings were to dramatise the steel-rolling process at some major international exhibition. I don't know what became of the originals, which would have belonged to Davy-Ashmore. Round about 1970 Davy-Ashmore amalgamated with other companies to become Davy United, and moved their HQ from Sheffield to London.

I have an original oil painting by Kenneth, which he gave to my aunt & uncle in 1958, following a holiday in Mallorca. It is a palette-knife study of a typical Mallorcan square - very colourful and striking.

Edited by burlawen22
typing error

Hi there,

Someone asked about the series of oil paintings of Sheffield factories which Kenneth Steel produced in the 1960's. They were quite unlike anything he had done previously and I recall him being excited at the prospect. They were commissioned by my uncle, Richard Smith on behalf of the Davy-Ashmore Steel Company and were done in their rolling mill sheds at Darnall, over a period of months. They were painted at night and, from what I remember, as I only saw a couple of the paintings, in Kenneth's studio, were dramatic and impressionistic - vivid splashes of vermillion and orange against a background of black and purple. My uncle was i/c publicity & public relations at the time and I think these paintings were to dramatise the steel-rolling process at some major international exhibition. I don't know what became of the originals, which would have belonged to Davy-Ashmore. Round about 1970 Davy-Ashmore amalgamated with other companies to become Davy United, and moved their HQ from Sheffield to London.

I have an original oil painting by Kenneth, which he gave to my aunt & uncle in 1958, following a holiday in Mallorca. It is a palette-knife study of a typical Mallorcan square - very colourful and striking.

Hello,

I was interested in your comment, regarding the palette-knife study. I seem to recall one of Kenneth Steel's paintings in the Davy-United (D-U) set was also done with a pallette-knife. This would be in No.4 or No.5 machine bays at the the Darnall Works. Some of the technical details of the various machines were amazingly accurate.

On a personal note, my recollection of your uncle Richard goes back to the early 1950's when I first joined D-U at the Park Iron Works. Didn't he have another initial? Back then, he was always refered to as: F. Richard Smith. Presumably, this was to avoid confusion with another manager at the works called F.R. Smith.

Regards

Edited by Falls
Text added

Hi

Did you ever get this project off the ground?

Hi there,

Hello Burlawen 22

You have some very interesting recollections which I would like to discuss with you

I have posted my email address under my entries on 07-05-2011 & 04-12-2011

Please please email me as I have some images of the Davey United paintings by Kenneth Steel you refer to

Thanks

Jamir15

Hello Burlawen 22

You have some very interesting recollections which I would like to discuss with you

I have posted my email address under my entries on 07-05-2011 & 04-12-2011

Please please email me as I have some images of the Davey United paintings by Kenneth Steel you refer to

Thanks

Jamir15

I was looking into a painting by Keneth which was I presume commissioned by Brightside and Carbrook co-operative soiciety of Sheffield Castle, the painting was about 5 feet wide by 4 feet high, and was on canvas.

HI

The painting noted above is on display at Manor Lodge at present, loaned by the co-op