Artist Kenneth Steel

Hi

I am looking for information on the Sheffield artist, Kenneth Steel, I have found the limited information below, but would be greatfull for anything else.

Painter in watercolour, engraver & lithographer of landscapes & street scenes; poster designer. Born Sheffield 9/7/1906, son of G.T.Steel, an artist and silver engraver. Studied at Sheffield College of Art under Anthony Betts. Represented in several public collections. Achieved a prolific output of artwork for the railways. Based in Crookes, Sheffield for years. Produced posters for LNER & BR.

Produced artwork for LNER Post-War, LMR Railway Architecture, Scottish Region series.

In 1963/64 I lived in a bedsit on Conduit Road. My landlady told me that Kenneth Steel used to live at the house (perhaps he owned it). She showed me a wooden contraption for holding paintings which she said he left behind when he moved out. I remember seeing pictures of the insides of factories painted by him which were technically and aesthetically quite stunning. I can't remember where.

I don't know if this is of interest but the 1901 census shows George T. Steel "Engraver & Silver Trade Employer" at 81 Tavistock Road, Sharrow/Nether Edge. George was then 29 and his wife Annie Elizabeth was 27. At that time they had a son George Hammond, aged five months. George Thomas Steel had married Annie Elizabeth Howe in Sheffield in the first quarter of 1899. George had been born in Leeds in the last quarter of 1870 and Annie in Sheffield in the third quarter of 1873.

Kenneth Steel is shown in the index to the 1911 census, aged 4. I can obtain more 1911 details if required.

Cheers David & Hillsboro

I have struggled to find much info on the net, especially as Kenneth appears to have been quite a prolific artist, with watercolour paintings ranging from local buildings and scenes to aspects of the mediteranian.

My hope was that, with him being local someone may have some family history other what appears to be published, information such as you have given. Anything anyone can add would be great.

Thanks

Hi

I am looking for information on the Sheffield artist, Kenneth Steel, I have found the limited information below, but would be greatfull for anything else.

Painter in watercolour, engraver & lithographer of landscapes & street scenes; poster designer. Born Sheffield 9/7/1906, son of G.T.Steel, an artist and silver engraver. Studied at Sheffield College of Art under Anthony Betts. Represented in several public collections. Achieved a prolific output of artwork for the railways. Based in Crookes, Sheffield for years. Produced posters for LNER & BR.

Produced artwork for LNER Post-War, LMR Railway Architecture, Scottish Region series.

Hi

I have quite a bit of information as I have researched him for a few years now

What part of his career were you interested in?

He did over 40 line engravings & drypoints, he did watercolours, Architects Perspective drawings, pencil drawings, pen & ink drawings , oil painting [ late style was palette knife oils of the Baleric Islands & Jamacia], he did carriage prints and railway posters after the War.

Does anyone have any of these works? I can perhaps help date them etc

Thanks

Ed

I was looking into a painting by Keneth which was I presume commissioned by Brightside and Carbrook co-operative soiciety of Sheffield Castle, the painting was about 5 feet wide by 4 feet high, and was on canvas.

I was looking into a painting by Keneth which was I presume commissioned by Brightside and Carbrook co-operative soiciety of Sheffield Castle, the painting was about 5 feet wide by 4 feet high, and was on canvas.

This is an oil painting which the Brightside & Carbrook Co-Operative commissioned and was painted by Kenneth Steel in 1964, I suspect because their head office premises were then at Castle House, Angel Street on the site of the old castle.

A watercolour study the picture is in the collection of Museums Sheffield [although recently damaged in their flood]. The canvas is an imaginary view of the castle in the seventeenth century. Although the canvas is untraced, it was used as a Christmas card by the then Lord Mayor of Sheffield in 1965 [ Sheffield Local Studies Library have one of these].

I have made enquiries at the Manchester regional office about it whereabouts and whern I did they said someone else had enquired. Is that you?

I'd be interested to know if any one has found anything more about this artist, particularly any family connections. He produced a superb render of the Electricity substation on Moore St Roundabout, we think in about 1964, or certainly before or around about the time it was built. On behalf of the current holder of this original drawing, and with the consent of the Architects, we are planning to produce limited edition hand pulled screen prints of the image, and would like to involve genuine interested parties before doing so, if possible.

If my memory serves me correctly, he did illustrations for biscuit tins (Cadbury's Fox's ?) amongst his other activitiies.

I have a Ken Steel engraving of a castle, sadly it got a bit stained when the roof sprang a leak years ago. I'll look it out.

Hi

I am writing a biography on Kenneth Steel.

If you have any questions please email [email protected].

Thanks

Jamir15

If my memory serves me correctly, he did illustrations for biscuit tins (Cadbury's Fox's ?) amongst his other activitiies.

I have a Ken Steel engraving of a castle, sadly it got a bit stained when the roof sprang a leak years ago. I'll look it out.

Hi

What does this castle image look like. Probably the one of Bamburgh he did in 1934 and exhibited at the Royal Academy but if you describe it and give me the platemark size I will let you know what you have got

Thanks

Jamir15