Bradfield Road car park (Hillsborough) - charges and "fines"

your just stuck up ur own arse mate, i dont mean to be nasty but what did u want me to do ring up the person who owns the land and see how long i an park there for ? (at the time i park there they wasn't any signs sayng how long you can stay or whatnot)

I got a fine for parking there a while ago, I had to park at an angle because the only parking space was next to a car which hadn't parked within the lines. I got fined, I can't remember how much, for not parking within my lines. I never paid it and never heard anything

It may be unenforceable, but that doesn't mean the OP is justified in refusing to pay it. If you park on someone else's land you abide by their rules for allowing you to park there; otherwise, you don't park there.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ snore !!!

Justify the amount they 'charge' first, before you start bleating on about private land rubbish.

If these private companies actually charged/fined/billed for the amount they were actually entitlement to under contract law, then these threads would never have started and people would accept it. £60 for over staying will never be justified, FACT

Do not pay it, my husband got one nearly twelve months ago, we ignored it, didn't pay, ignored further letters & hey ho we havn't heard from them since. Trust me on this one.

£60 for over staying will never be justified, FACT

Nor will the £750 (+VAT) that my friend was charged two years ago.

"How do you make it £750?"

"£140 charge for over staying and £160 for clamp removal"

"That makes £300! What about the other £450?"

"That is the call-out fee for the removal vehicle, that we called"

"But you cancelled that when I came back to my car"

"Yes but call-out fee is chargeable from the moment we first call them"

"But that's not fair!"

"It may or may not be but unless you pay us £881.25 to release the clamp we will call the removal vehicle again."

These people are scum. Do not pay them ANYTHING!

John X

ignore it, or try contacting them.

Don't try contacting them!!

How many times has it been said already that the very act of contacting them can be seen by a court as a tacit acceptance that you have some form of contract with the parking company.

The only people that are taken to court are those who have had some contact with them.

I have never heard of anyone being taken to court who has ignored the invoice and subsequent threatening letters completely.

John X

Nor will the £750 (+VAT) that my friend was charged two years ago.

"How do you make it £750?"

"£140 charge for over staying and £160 for clamp removal"

"That makes £300! What about the other £450?"

"That is the call-out fee for the removal vehicle, that we called"

"But you cancelled that when I came back to my car"

"Yes but call-out fee is chargeable from the moment we first call them"

"But that's not fair!"

"It may or may not be but unless you pay us £881.25 to release the clamp we will call the removal vehicle again."

These people are scum. Do not pay them ANYTHING!

John X

That sounds like blackmail or if not, itwould certainly be an offence under Administration of Justice Act.

What happened in the end?

Which company was it?

That sounds like blackmail or if not, itwould certainly be an offence under Administration of Justice Act.

What happened in the end?

Which company was it?

It would be a civil offence under 'unreasonable charges' logic. They saw a solicitor about it who said that a court would look at similar parking charges in the area (usually the nearest council parking meter) and deem whether the charge was reasonable.

In this case the council charged £2.00 for 15 minutes which equated to £8.00 an hour. My friend had been there for 20 mins so the £140 charge equated to £560 an hour which any court would deem unreasonable and order that the money be repayed.

However.............

The solicitor advised them not to bother, as the parking company was a based in a portakabin in Uxbridge and it would be virtually impossible to recover any money. :(

Can't remember who the company was but they were based in West London.

John X

Does this apply to Meadowhall Retail Park or Tesco at Upperthorpe?

What about compiling a list of car parks so people don't fall for these scams?

It would be a civil offence under 'unreasonable charges' logic. They saw a solicitor about it who said that a court would look at similar parking charges in the area (usually the nearest council parking meter) and deem whether the charge was reasonable.

In this case the council charged £2.00 for 15 minutes which equated to £8.00 an hour. My friend had been there for 20 mins so the £140 charge equated to £560 an hour which any court would deem unreasonable and order that the money be repayed.

However.............

The solicitor advised them not to bother, as the parking company was a based in a portakabin in Uxbridge and it would be virtually impossible to recover any money. :(

Can't remember who the company was but they were based in West London.

John X

Hate hearing stories like this.... Sad that such companies, people exist really.

Think id have been cutting that clamp off personally..

Does this apply to Meadowhall Retail Park or Tesco at Upperthorpe?

What about compiling a list of car parks so people don't fall for these scams?

Retail Park deffo as I've had about 15 tickets from there when I used to go fishing on the canal at the back.

There's really no need to do a list. If your ticket is a Penalty Charge Notice issued by the Police or local council, then pay it (if you think it was legally issued)

Anything else just put in the bin!

Simple

John X