Old Street Names

Doing some family history tracing and found one of my relative lived on Goulder Terrace in Carbrook. I don't think the street still exists but does anyone know the vague location of the street now or what has been built on top of it?

The 1925 directory shows Goulder Terrace leading off from No 575 Attercliffe Common. This puts it on the north-west side, just past the Carbrook Hall pub (no 537), and between Bee Street and Warden Street. A 1950s map shows an unnamed cul-de-sac in this location. The area now seems to be occupied by a modern building (Abbey National - shareholder services) and its car park - see this Multimap view:

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=sheffield&countryCode=GB#map=53.40556,-1.41613|19|256&be=7678627|West&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:53.40615:-1.41563:19|556 attercliffe common sheffield s9|

The pub can also be seen in this view - a little about its history is on its website: http://www.carbrookhall.co.uk/

Edited by hillsbro

Doing some family history tracing and found one of my relative lived on Goulder Terrace in Carbrook. I don't think the street still exists but does anyone know the vague location of the street now or what has been built on top of it?

i think it was of dunlop street i vaguely remember goulder but i thought it was goulder place i think a family called kemps lived on there

Dunlop Street, running parallel with Attercliffe Common, isn't far from where Goulder Terrace was.

Goulder Place was a short cul-de-sac on the other side of Attercliffe Common, a bit nearer to town - between 334 and 336 Attercliffe Common, just before Broughton Lane. You can see it (also unnamed) on the 1950s map in post #2 - it's just to the left of the B in BROUGHTON.

Dunlop Street, running parallel with Attercliffe Common, isn't far from where Goulder Terrace was.

Goulder Place was a short cul-de-sac on the other side of Attercliffe Common, a bit nearer to town - between 334 and 336 Attercliffe Common, just before Broughton Lane. You can see it (also unnamed) on the 1950s map in post #2 - it's just to the left of the B in BROUGHTON.

was the motor bike shop on one side and the butchers on other and wymans a bit further up

my sister in law lived on it coulton was her name

was the motor bike shop on one side and the butchers on other and wymans a bit further up

That's right jewls29 - Sid Smith's motor bike shop (the best in Sheffield for spare parts) was on one corner at Nos 332/334, and the butchers opposite - I think the butchers and adjacent shops were demolished in the 1960s. Whymans was next door to Sid Smith - the 1973 directory shows "Whymans Sandwich Bar" at No 332 and "Ronald Whyman, Grocer" at Nos 324/326.

That's right jewls29 - Sid Smith's motor bike shop (the best in Sheffield for spare parts) was on one corner at Nos 332/334, and the butchers opposite - I think the butchers and adjacent shops were demolished in the 1960s. Whymans was next door to Sid Smith - the 1973 directory shows "Whymans Sandwich Bar" at No 332 and "Ronald Whyman, Grocer" at Nos 324/326.

I remember it as a little cobbled cu-de-sac where I used to park my bike when visiting Sid Smith's.

hi jewls goulder place was just after the broughton pub there were 3 shops browns later g burtoon butcher porters grocers and greens photographers i also remember it being a card shop called gay gaye cards no 340 338 336 sid smiths m/c shop on other corner if my memory serves me right sid smiths used to be davys bread/cakes and confectionery shop i think there were only about 12/16 houses on the place regards aj

My grandma and grandad lived at number 5 Goulder Place and my aunty Gracie, uncle Jim and cousins Andrew and Kathryn, lived opposite. I used to love visiting them -it seemed so much more of an exciting area than Crookes where I lived.

This was in the early 60s.....great times on the Red Rec and at the cinema, visiting Banners and going to fetch a two-bob fry-up from (I think) Olivers.

There seems to be quite a lot of interest in the shops in this area, and so here is a scan from the 1973 Kelly's Directory (compiled in 1972) showing both sides of the road. By this time the shops after Goulder Place up to the café at No 388 had evidently been demolished, or at least were empty: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Carbrookshops.jpg

There seems to be quite a lot of interest in the shops in this area, and so here is a scan from the 1973 Kelly's Directory (compiled in 1972) showing both sides of the road. By this time the shops after Goulder Place up to the café at No 388 had evidently been demolished, or at least were empty: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Carbrookshops.jpg

Those buildings would be about ready, at that time, for demolition, as the Carltonville Rd/ Melville/ Ravensworth/ Campell Roads area (which were pretty much adjacent to Goulder Place) were cleared late 1973/ early 1974, as I had family in that area, who were moved out around that time for the clearances.